unique - best souvenir

Artuno

Traveling to Grand Cayman next month - any ideas for souvenirs? Don't want to buy something that I can get at the Dollar store back home. Any unique finds in that region - if so, where and how much did you barter for?

Thanks,

Artuno

Grand Cayman island is not a "bargaining" type of place. We generally do very little shopping there, since more bargains can be found elsewhere (such as Cozumel). The rum cakes are delicious, and make nice (albeit expensive) souvenirs, however. We often get the multi pack and give them as gifts when we get home!

Las Vegas -

We went last year to GC and I missed the cutoff to buy a bottle of BBD. So glad we're going again next week. I told the wife that I HAD to have a bottle of that for next to the picture of her next to the statue of the pirate. Let's just say that the picture isn't rated R, but it wouldn't be good around kids. :eek:

Here's our favorite shop in Grand Cayman. It's about a mile out of town and has the best selection of items made by local artists.

http://www.pureart.ky/

I don't think you're going to find any "deals" in Grand Cayman. It's a wonderful place, but it's completely different than most Caribbean islands...everything is expensive.

On our first cruise, we bought Tortuga Rum Cakes on the ship, and if I am remembering correctly, they were cheaper on the ship. Not by a lot...but a couple of dollars. The last time we were there, we found Hook Hurricane Rum Cakes at the Turtle Farm. They were a choc/van swirl, and were probably our favorite.

ezjack1825 -

Exactly where is the store that sells the BBD rum? I've seen pictures of the statue, but don't know the name of the store or where it's located. Prefer not to spend precious time while in port walking around trying to find this cute photo op. Already promised a girlfriend that I would bring her a bottle back from GC, so I'm committed.:D BTW, is this particular rum sold at multiple locations or just the one store with the statue?

Thanks for any info. Wanna save time shopping so I can go play at Rum Point!!!!:)

Exactly where is the store that sells the BBD rum?

There are a couple places, but one is in the basement level of The Landmark building, right on the waterfront.

http://maps.caymanlandinfo.ky/ArcIMS/AtlasPages/gcpage29.pdf

The Landmark building is on the corner of Harbour Drive and Cardinall Avenue. The stairwell going down is on the Cardinall Avenue side of the building.

Does anyone know if the BBR rum and the rum cakes are cheaper & better, if you go to the factory and buy them - or if it makes any difference - do they barter any on this type of stuff? - How much did you pay?

Thanks,

Artuno

Does anyone know if the BBR rum and the rum cakes are cheaper & better, if you go to the factory and buy them - or if it makes any difference - do they barter any on this type of stuff? - How much did you pay?

Thanks,

Artuno

You don't barter for things in GC, you pay the price that's listed.

I think we paid around $25 for a 6-pack of small Tortuga rum cakes. I think the medium size was around $13 or so. We've bought from the factory, in a store in the island, and on the ship, and I've not noticed any difference in freshness or taste. I do seem to remember that it was a couple of bucks cheaper to buy the rum cakes on the island rather than on our ship.

Archived