Bar set up caution

CAinTO

Just returned from the Wind, and wanted to pass on a word of caution. We had spoken with the coordinator and given credit card number etc for our bar set up many weeks pre cruise. Got on the ship....no set up. No record of the order. Used the names of the Pearl coordinator who had gotten the wind person to call me, and the fact that the info was found on this web site. 3 days later I was told I could have the set up and signed the slip for it. Came back to the ship to find that the cost was going to be 3x($120) what I had signed for. NO WAY! After some further conversation we got the original order at the price I had signed for.

My reason for this post is to warn those who order on the phone to get some identifying number of your order. Email hard copy would be ideal. Thanks to this site I knew how to order, but messed up with nothing in print. Lesson learned.

Thanks for passing this along. I always do two things. I make sure I get an email confirmation from the ship coordinator that the setup was ordered and charged (and print this and bring it with me). I also bring a printout of my credit card statement showing the charge (even if you haven't received a paper statement yet with the charge, you can print out a statement of current charges online). Luckily I haven't had any problems yet, but I have these documents just in case.

A bar setup is where you can pre order a bottle of liquor and heav it in your cabin for the cruise. there is a price list going around, but the minumin price is $40.00 per 1 liter bottle. If one drinks more than 2 drinks a day for a 7 day cruise at an average of $6.00 per drink, the setup is the way to go. Many, many choices of liquor to choose from. The better the liquor the higher the price.....:)

SAme thing happened to my daughter last spring on Celebrity. She did finally get it and was charged double. I too always get a fax or email and take it with me. If not that, I check my CC bill and take that on the ship. Another thing I do is check just prior to sailing to make certain the order is on my profile. this comes from being at TA for many years and ordering gifts for clients just to have them not be received. NMNita

My set up was not in my cabin on my last two cruises: the Star and the Pearl. In both instances, I had a copy of the email confirmation, and on the Star, I had a copy of my online cc charges. Unfortunately, on the Pearl, the ship coordinator did not order it until 1 day before I left home, so it wasn't on the cc statement yet. I kept telling her (Madeline) not to wait until the last moment but she "assured" me that it would be waiting for me in my cabin. WRONG. After showing the confirmation email, I finally was able to get it in my cabin at the correct price. My advice: come prepared for it to be messed up and have documentation to get it straightened out and you'll be fine.

My TA told me that we couln't have a bar setup in a balcony cabin. She said that was only for the suite passengers. Is ist possible in a balcony cabin. Saving on my bar tab would be excellent.

Just back from the Dawn....we brought along our credit card confirmation, but the booze was there...it was Sauza instead of Cuervo & no problem having it corrected. Never heard that it depended on cabin type.

Hmmmm. I can't seem to find the Bar Set Up number... Does any one have it handy? I would sure appreciate it. Thanks

Billy: I don't order the bar setup by phone -- e-mail is the way to go, that way you have written confirmation of your order. Just send an e-mail to shipcoordinator(Name of ship)@ncl.com.

Our bar setup wasn't in our room for our recent Dawn cruise, but what happened was that it was delivered before our cabin stewards made up the room, and they thought it was left by the previous passengers!:eek: It took a day to figure it out...

My TA told me that we couln't have a bar setup in a balcony cabin. She said that was only for the suite passengers. Is ist possible in a balcony cabin. Saving on my bar tab would be excellent.

We ordered ours for our G-cat OV, and when we were upgraded, it took some time, but it arrived by the end of the evening of departure.

Also think about bringing your own wine and paying corkage at the restaurants. Cheap wines on board are $28-35 per bottle plus tax. I think corkage is $20. However I got to try some new ones and found a couple of cheap gems.

I didn't have a problem with set-ups; I brought my own!

huh? of course you can, suites often have some free liquior in the cabins, but any cabin will allow you to purchase a bar set up. I wonder if she mis-understood what you wanted or maybe she needs to check with the cruise lines so she will be a little better informed. NMNita

Also think about bringing your own wine and paying corkage at the restaurants. Cheap wines on board are $28-35 per bottle plus tax. I think corkage is $20. However I got to try some new ones and found a couple of cheap gems.

I didn't have a problem with set-ups; I brought my own!

Corkage is $15. NMNita

Archived