Is Journey "Xpedition" Class or "Journey" Class?

Zenithfan

Ok. Journey was supposed to become part of the Xpedition class. Right?

(exotic destinations, open seating, no kids programs).

On the Celebrity website, if you click on plan a cruise and then, ships,

after the xpediton class comes the Journey class. The Journey class is described as "All the amenities of a traditional celebrity cruise in a more intimate setting".

:confused:

And your point is?:confused:

I don't think many people are losing sleep over the answer to your question.;)

Most of what I have read about Journey indicates that it is designed to appeal to veteran travellers - adults, not families, and will offer some very unique itineraries besides its cruises to Bermuda.:)

And your point is?:confused:

I don't think many people are losing sleep over the answer to your question.;)

Most of what I have read about Journey indicates that it is designed to appeal to veteran travellers - adults, not families, and will offer some very unique itineraries besides its cruises to Bermuda.:)

gee...i didn't mean to keep people up at night.

My point was that when Journey was first announced, it was to become part of the xpedition class.

Zenithfan,

Ok. Journey was supposed to become part of the Xpedition class. Right?

Wrong...

(exotic destinations, open seating, no kids programs).

On the Celebrity website, if you click on plan a cruise and then, ships,

after the xpediton class comes the Journey class. The Journey class is described as "All the amenities of a traditional celebrity cruise in a more intimate setting".

:confused:

You apparently confused the word "class" (meaning that two ships are of substantially the same design, though possibly with minor variations in subdivision, arrangement, furnishing, and use of some interior spaces) with "fleet" (meaning that two ships operate for the same line and offer a similar product, the line being equivalent to a brand in other industries). Basically, Celebrity has divided its ships into two fleets -- the "Celebrity Cruises" fleet (MV Century, MV Galaxy, MV Mercury, GTS Millennium, GTS Infinity, GTS Constellation, GTS Summit, and, for another month or so, MV Zenith) and the "Celebrity Expeditions" fleet (MY Celerity Xpedition, MV Celebrity Journey as of April, and MV Celebrity Quest as of September). The three ships of the Solstice class also will join the "Celebrity Cruises" fleet as they come into service in the next three calendar years.

Note, also, the difference in spelling between MY Celebrity Xpedition and the "Celebrity Expeditions" fleet.

BTW, there is a rather onerous error on Celebrity's web site. In reality, MV Galaxy and MV Mercury are NOT of the same design as MV Century so it is NOT correct to speak of these vessels as being of the same class. Rather, in correct maritime usage, MV Century is a single vessel (and thus not part of any class) and the Galaxy Class consists of MV Galaxy and MV Mercury. IIRC, Celebrity originally ordered all three vessels to the design of MV Century but decided to make the remaining two vessels larger (by about 10%) after the shipyard had started construction on the first. Unfortunately, the line's marketing materials never caught up with the change.

Norm.

Archived