Enticing the fish

Poohb

Does anyone know if it's okay to bring some bread to the beach and try to get some fish to show up? We are thinking about going to Sapphire beach (not snorkeling; maybe swimming) and I thought maybe if we had some 'fish food', we'd see some of the local fish that might want some food. Would it be 'legal'? Okay? Or against the rules? Thanks for any input.

Hello,

At some beaches like Coki and Sapphire the vendors/water sports booth sell little bags of dog biscuits for feeding the fish so I don't think there is a general law against feeding fish. At the National Park beaches and other protected marine areas I think there are.

If you aren't snorkeling at Sapphire and planned to just put the bread out in the general swimming area I don't think you will have much luck... what will happen is there will be wet bread floating around. ;) If you are over the reef areas and snorkeling and see fish then you will have some luck getting the fish to come around/closer with the food however.... bread, dog food, cereal etc. etc. aren't part of the natural diet of a fish or any other marine animal, so while you will get fish to come closer... particularly at Coki where the fish are used to being fed... you might be doing the fish and their digestive systems harm.

--Islander

• 4 weeks later...

Poohb, I was on the Brilliance TA with you and your DH. Sorry, my posting here is off topic, but I was wondering if you could email me at jjen4jj at aol dot com. I was hoping you could give me some info on where you got the surprise gifts you and your DH gave to all of us. Jennifer

While not feeding the fish anything unnatural to their enviroment would be best, I understand people like to feed them to get them to come around. YOur best bet it to visit a local pet store and but some fish food made for saltwater fish. This would be the healthiest for ocean fish.

Archived