Margaritaville - major disapointment

vikeqn

We went to the Margaritaville in Grand Turk last September and had a fantastic time. My boyfriend and I are not the "club going/loud music" types, and still did not let that spoil our fun. We had a few drinks, and food... and yes the food was a little expensive, but bare in mind folks... you're not in America. A lot of this stuff has to be imported, so I would assume they make up for that in their prices. The drinks were cheap though!

I was at the one in Vegas also, and while they did play some Buffett, it wasn't "all Buffett all the time"... there was a top 40 mix in there as well.

Also let me add that we didn't spend out entire day in Grand Turk at Margaritaville... we did other things as well. So I guess if you're looking to take a dip, grab a drink, and kill some time between excursions... then M-ville should be a good time. If you plan to spend the 8 hours in port there... then it might get a little overwhelming.

And they do have very clean bathrooms ;)

We have been to Margaritaville in Ocho Rios, Orlando, New Orleans, and Vegas and have had a great time in all of them. I think that Grand Cayman is overpriced in general. I've been twice and both times we have taken wonderfull tours, but the restaurants and shopping seem to be way overpriced. Next time I'll take the tender in, buy some Tortuga Rum, then get back on the ship.

• 4 weeks later...

Near one of the local malls in my hometown, they have a line of chain restaurants. Carino's, Olive Garden, Outback, etc. Go to any big city in the country and you'll see the same thing. I enjoy the conviencence and the consistency.

But when I'm on vacation, I like to get away from the cookie cutter, corporate restaraunts. Most people don't know that Margaritaville is owned mostly by Outback. Ditto for Cheeseburger in Paradise, which is awful and overpriced as well.

I could see those coming from smaller towns being interested in Margaritaville but I just keep walking because I can get the same food and the same entertainment at home anytime at 1/3 the cost.

Here is what I found after researching ownership of Margaritaville Restaurants and Cheeseburger in Paradise Restaurants. Go to this link. Jimmy Buffett makes millions of dollars on these and other holdings as well. Actually Outback is associated with Cheesburger in Paradise.

http

://www.buffettnews.com/businessfacts.html

Joanne

In all fairness, some of these restaurants have great atmosphere, food and service. Others, well :( . . . . The one in Montego Bay was a disappointment for me as well as Grand Cayman. Grand Turk has a great set-up. What did it for me was when we were sitting at a table in Grand Cayman, waiting forever, and the dj asked the crowd what music would you like to hear? So he played loud non Jimmy music. Now I ask you, is that question really necessary in Margaritaville ;) ? There is no music choice in Orlando, which is my home stomping ground and we visit the Margaritaville there numerous times a year. Never a disappointment. I think the real problem is consistency and expectations.

Joanne

Silly me, I thought the Margaritaville in Ocho Rios would have an indoor area with A/C. We were miserably hot and the service was awful.

We had a blast there. The food, service and drinks were all great. I wish that we had more time there. The one in Cozumel was nice (but very pricey, for Coz) and only had time to literally RUN into the one in GC for a few tshirts, so we didn't even make it in the bar/restaurant.

Our family went to GC MV last week. The music was hip hop and so loud we could not hear our waitress. We had 4 cheeseburger meals and nachos which cost us $99.90, and the food was nothing to remember. I will never agian go to MV, no matter where I travel. Don't bother wasting your time. Eat on the ship! That price was without any drinks.:mad:

Our family went to GC MV last week. The music was hip hop and so loud we could not hear our waitress. We had 4 cheeseburger meals and nachos which cost us $99.90, and the food was nothing to remember. I will never agian go to MV, no matter where I travel. Don't bother wasting your time. Eat on the ship! That price was without any drinks.:mad:

if you read anything here on the GC board, you will see that EVERYTHING is expensive there. When we went to Rum Point Beach, I had 5 conch fritters (the size of golf balls), that came with about a cup of a side salad and what was probably a 12 oz. strawberry daiquiri for $20 US.

• 7 months later...

Why the heck are you eating FOOD? You can do plenty of that on the ship. We were at the GC MV last November and had a blast in a stopoff: caught some beads! sang THE song; and chugged a few Landsharks! Lighten up you ARE on a a vacation:D .

Why the heck are you eating FOOD? You can do plenty of that on the ship. We were at the GC MV last November and had a blast in a stopoff: caught some beads! sang THE song; and chugged a few Landsharks! Lighten up you ARE on a a vacation:D .

Sorry you did not like the food. It is a hamburger place with other finger food. It is really a place that people go to say they went, not to eat great food, although I always enjoy my Cheeseburger in Paradise! :)

We went to the the MV in Grand Turk in Nov '07 and it was a fun one to go to. Also enjoyed the one in Las Vegas in Feb '07, heck I don't think I have not ever enjoyed one!!!!!;) Looking for them to open the MV in Panama City Beach, FL in spring '08! :D

I've been to Margaritaville in Key West and Ocho Rios and loved both! I've never eaten at either so can't say anything negative or positive about the food . . . though I would imagine it's probably overpriced and not very good. I go to Margaritaville for a margarita (or two), listen to the music (but I would have hated what was played during Spring Break in Grand Cayman) and to shop . . . love all the goodies in the gift shop. I'm not really a "parrothead" but I do love Jimmy Buffet's music . . . it's all I play a month or two before one of my cruises. I've seen him in concert once (about ten years ago) and to me . . . his music represents everything I love about the water, the beach and the Carribbean! I plan to visit Margaritaville during my visit to Grand Cayman in April. It was almost done the last time I was there in September 2006. I just hope the powers that be will be playing Jimmy's music and not what was played during Spring Break. :p

Well complain, complain, complain...hope you arent there the week of march 2-9th because we will be getting wild in Margaritaville after a day of drinking out at 7 mile. its convenient because it is right where the tender is and it is fun. lighten up people. :eek:

I just saw on the Cozumel board that a Margaritaville opened there last night about 3 blocks from the Punta Langosta pier. Hope ir has some resemblence of the original Margaritaville concept.

I visited the Margaritaville in Cozumel in 2007 and really enjoyed it. I have gone to Margaritaville in New Orleans,Cancun and Las Vegas also. Very Buffett decor, Buffett music, not very busy, staff was very friendly, even bought us shots and took them with us. It was just myself and a friend - two stay at home moms on vacation, and we had a blast, can't wait to visit again. Bummer to hear about Jamacia and Grand Cayman, was looking forward to visiting them and adding them to my list.... guess we'll just have to wing it. Don't miss the Cozumel one though! Thanks for all the info

As a pretty decent Parrothead, we checked out Margaritavilles in January in:

Ocho Rios

Grand Cayman

Cozumel

So here's my take- all were catering to the cruise ship crowd, and Jamaica & GC had a DJ while we were there.

Coz was the newest and by far best decorations, and super huge. We were there before noon to pick up a shirt only, as we were headed out on other excursions, but that place was pretty cool. All JB music & videos on when we were there, but again, it was early.

Ocho Rios- had decent food, ran up a $300 tab for 7 people drinking hard for 4 hours straight, buckets of Landshark Lagers, boat drinks. There were games, contests, and a very fun shot guy that came around and poured shots around for whoever wanted them. We had a total blast. Probably about 1/4 to 1/3 of the music played was JB, and people were dancing and playing in the pool. We did not think our bill was unreasonable considering the number of buckets of beer we drank.

OH- plus they gave us bracelets and a card that were good for free drinks at Grand Cayman the next day.

Grand Cayman- went around 2:00, totally packed, no where for a table, so we sat at the bar and redeemed our bracelets and card for free margaritas and beers. Ordered nachos and wings. Wings were excellent, and the nacho plate was the biggest one I had ever seen. Also a DJ, and games, slightly more risque in style than in Jamaica, nothing R-rated, more PG-13 pushing the limit. Like the Balloon contest where you have to race to bust balloons between a couple in certain positions. But people were really into it and having a blast. We enjoyed sitting at the bar, and our bartender was very personable.

Cozumel- wish we could have stayed longer to check out the scene. But the decorations were were worth the visit even though we just had one beer.

We have also visited M'villes in Orlando, Key West, New Orleans and Las Vegas. We will always endeavor to contribute to Jimmy Buffett's Retirement Fund, but we do realize that Margaritaville is really a 'Jimmy Buffett Lite' experience. Nothing can compare to the real deal (tailgating at concerts with thousands of other Parrotheads & live shows), but the Margaritavilles are a nice break from reality and a great way to add to the t-shirt collections. If you go expecting a full Jimmy Buffett/Parrothead experience, you will be dissapointed no matter what. These are a fabulous marketing gimmick and should be treated as such, please go or not go with an open mind to what you are getting into. Prices are similar to any chain-theme restaurant (Think Bubba Gump Shrimp, Hard Rock Cafe, etc). You are not going here for a bargain, or for the best food in the world. It's about the atmosphere.

We had a blast and will always go to Margaritavilles, even though we know they are cheesy. But it is about knowing that it will be cheesy before you go, and embracing the cheesiness.

Looking forward to the 2008 concert season and the Mohegan Sun Margaritaville,

OttoCal

As a pretty decent Parrothead, we checked out Margaritavilles in January in:

Ocho Rios

Grand Cayman

Cozumel

So here's my take- all were catering to the cruise ship crowd, and Jamaica & GC had a DJ while we were there.

Coz was the newest and by far best decorations, and super huge. We were there before noon to pick up a shirt only, as we were headed out on other excursions, but that place was pretty cool. All JB music & videos on when we were there, but again, it was early.

Ocho Rios- had decent food, ran up a $300 tab for 7 people drinking hard for 4 hours straight, buckets of Landshark Lagers, boat drinks. There were games, contests, and a very fun shot guy that came around and poured shots around for whoever wanted them. We had a total blast. Probably about 1/4 to 1/3 of the music played was JB, and people were dancing and playing in the pool. We did not think our bill was unreasonable considering the number of buckets of beer we drank.

OH- plus they gave us bracelets and a card that were good for free drinks at Grand Cayman the next day.

Grand Cayman- went around 2:00, totally packed, no where for a table, so we sat at the bar and redeemed our bracelets and card for free margaritas and beers. Ordered nachos and wings. Wings were excellent, and the nacho plate was the biggest one I had ever seen. Also a DJ, and games, slightly more risque in style than in Jamaica, nothing R-rated, more PG-13 pushing the limit. Like the Balloon contest where you have to race to bust balloons between a couple in certain positions. But people were really into it and having a blast. We enjoyed sitting at the bar, and our bartender was very personable.

Cozumel- wish we could have stayed longer to check out the scene. But the decorations were were worth the visit even though we just had one beer.

We have also visited M'villes in Orlando, Key West, New Orleans and Las Vegas. We will always endeavor to contribute to Jimmy Buffett's Retirement Fund, but we do realize that Margaritaville is really a 'Jimmy Buffett Lite' experience. Nothing can compare to the real deal (tailgating at concerts with thousands of other Parrotheads & live shows), but the Margaritavilles are a nice break from reality and a great way to add to the t-shirt collections. If you go expecting a full Jimmy Buffett/Parrothead experience, you will be dissapointed no matter what. These are a fabulous marketing gimmick and should be treated as such, please go or not go with an open mind to what you are getting into. Prices are similar to any chain-theme restaurant (Think Bubba Gump Shrimp, Hard Rock Cafe, etc). You are not going here for a bargain, or for the best food in the world. It's about the atmosphere.

We had a blast and will always go to Margaritavilles, even though we know they are cheesy. But it is about knowing that it will be cheesy before you go, and embracing the cheesiness.

Looking forward to the 2008 concert season and the Mohegan Sun Margaritaville,

OttoCal

Loved your review! I've only been to Margaritaville in Key West and Ocho Rios and loved both! Plan to visit the ones in Cozumel and Grand Cayman in April. I know you can walk to the one in Grand Cayman from where the the little boats bring you in but what about Cozumel?

I have been to the Grand Turk MV, it is HUGE!!!!!! I am talking HUGE!!!!! There is a pool right off the bar and the restaurant is on the otherside of the bar. There is something on the upper level, I don't know because it was so blazing hot when I was there I didn't stay to check the whole place out. I am going back to find the giant flip flop. I found the Weather Station, but not the flip flop.....

I was in Cozumel and GC's two weeks ago. I didn't go on the bar side because I know how expensive the drinks are, but I did buy some cool merchandise.....The cozumel location has three benches made out of two surfboards...

As for the music, you can't expect his music to be played all the time. It is a bar and they will play with is popular with the crowd. If they didn't the place would shut down fast because how many 20something know or care bout Jimmy Buffett? Not many, all they care about is, yes, bumping and grinding and getting as drunk as possible on expensive drinks!!!!

Archived