FYI from NY to Vancouver

Sue L

Hey All,

Just wanted to let anyone trying to get flights from NY to Vancouver this summer that I got a great rate with Cathay Pacific Airlines. I inquired on the boards here about the airline since I had never heard of them and got rave reviews.

It is a 11pm flight arriving in Vancouver at 1:40am for $300 per person plus tax.

I thought I would let everyone know since most of the flights (though at better times) are running in the 650$-700$ range.

Thanks for the info. We saw this posted last week too by someone who was flying from NY to Vancouver. Cathay is a really good airline but no one thinks of using them within N. America since they are based in Hong Kong. I spent about $600 shortly after SARS a few years ago and got flights with Cathay Pacific from LA to and within 6 countries in Asia. Now that was a steal!

Totally amazing that Cathay has lowered the rates on the NYC/YVR route so much.

Really, REALLY a good deal for anyone beginning or ending a cruise in YVR from anyplace on the East coast. Cheapo ticket from your home to JFK, then if needed a one way on Alaska from Anc back to Vancouver. Still less than an open jaw on most carriers from the East Coast.

And the service!!! You'll even get a meal and maybe a snack. 747 (which most people don't get to fly on anymore-my favorite plane).

One heck of a deal. Wonder how long it will last????

Continental has one non-stop a day from Newark to Vancouver... Prices were running about $650 for the round-trip and recently came down to the low $400-s. The flight times seem to coincide well with the cruise schedule. Might want to check that out if the Cathy Flight does not meet your needs as far as flight times are concerned.

Continental has one non-stop a day from Newark to Vancouver... Prices were running about $650 for the round-trip and recently came down to the low $400-s. The flight times seem to coincide well with the cruise schedule. Might want to check that out if the Cathy Flight does not meet your needs as far as flight times are concerned.

Out of curiosity I checked Continental for the date we needed, 720$ per person. :eek:

Even with a rather inconvenient arrival time in Vancouver, the Cathay experience will FAR surpass ANYTHING (including business class) Continental can provide. There is truly a world of difference between USA airlines and most foreign carrier.

Even with a rather inconvenient arrival time in Vancouver, the Cathay experience will FAR surpass ANYTHING (including business class) Continental can provide.

As one who flew something like 60,000 miles last year, some of that in business class, and having taken Cathay on quite a few occasions (both their economy and business class), I agree with the first part of your statement that Cathay surpasses Continental (and other N. American airlines), in economy class. But Cathay economy class will not beat Continental's or most US airlines' business class. Note that I know of no N. American airline that operates a business class within N. America - it is all domestic "first class" - which doesn't come close to international business class in terms of service, seat comfort/recline, etc. But even a US airline's first class will beat Cathay's economy class for seat comfort. Continental has 38" of "pitch" in domestic first class from Newark to Vancouver, Cathay has 32" of "pitch" in economy class (which is the amount of room from the front of one seat to the front of the seat behind it). That exta 6" is a big help on such a long transcontinental flight.

There is truly a world of difference between USA airlines and most foreign carrier.

This is very true. If I had a choice I would fly a foreign carrier before a US one when traveling on intercontinental flights.

Note that I know of no N. American airline that operates a business class within N. America - it is all domestic "first class" - which doesn't come close to international business class in terms of service, seat comfort/recline, etc. But even a US airline's first class will beat Cathay's economy class for seat comfort. Continental has 38" of "pitch" in domestic first class from Newark to Vancouver, Cathay has 32" of "pitch" in economy class (which is the amount of room from the front of one seat to the front of the seat behind it). That exta 6" is a big help on such a long transcontinental flight.
AA offers 3-class service on many LAX-JFK and SFO-JFK flights, as well as LAX-MIA on 777s.

Cathay's economy seating on 747s is also about the narrowest seats flying in N. America, and their economy section is set up 3-4-3, meaning there are a lot of narrow middle seats. Not a comfy ride in the middle of the night, IMO.

As I said on the other thread on this subject, though, if you have AA miles in sufficient quantity, getting a business class or first class award on the Cathay planes (same mileage requirement as any other domestic business/first class award) is without a doubt the best use of miles going.

Travelers should also note that Qantas Airlines (Australian flag carrier) also flies 747s between San Francisco and Vancouver (several days a week, for parts of the year) and Qantas' economy service is also very good. They've been pricing those flights very competitively. These flights originate (or end up) in Sydney, stopping at SFO. Again, a great use of AA miles.

Finally, Philippine Airlines flies A340s a couple days a week between Vancouver and Las Vegas, with pretty reasonable business and first class fares as a rule. Interesting service.

Cathay's economy seating on 747s is also about the narrowest seats flying in N. America, and their economy section is set up 3-4-3, meaning there are a lot of narrow middle seats. Not a comfy ride in the middle of the night, IMO.

We will put my skinny son in the middle, only kid at college who instead of putting on the freshman 15, like most his friends actually lost weight this year.

As one who flew something like 60,000 miles last year, some of that in business class, and having taken Cathay on quite a few occasions (both their economy and business class), I agree with the first part of your statement that Cathay surpasses Continental (and other N. American airlines), in economy class. But Cathay economy class will not beat Continental's or most US airlines' business class. Note that I know of no N. American airline that operates a business class within N. America - it is all domestic "first class" - which doesn't come close to international business class in terms of service, seat comfort/recline, etc. But even a US airline's first class will beat Cathay's economy class for seat comfort. Continental has 38" of "pitch" in domestic first class from Newark to Vancouver, Cathay has 32" of "pitch" in economy class (which is the amount of room from the front of one seat to the front of the seat behind it). That exta 6" is a big help on such a long transcontinental flight.

This is very true. If I had a choice I would fly a foreign carrier before a US one when traveling on intercontinental flights.

I stated the "experience", not the class of seating. Economy "experience" on Cathay is better than Continental businesselite (or any American carrier domestic first). Confident, ATTENTIVE FA; a MEAL, not a snack (AA's pizza comes to mind); clean planes, nice toiletries in the bathroom (not the cheap crap on American carriers), movies for all (no charge for a headset). Just all the "little" things you will find on most foreign carriers, no matter the route.

Yes, there are three class planes flying domestically. I fly AA 10 or 30 (762 service) at least 6 times per year. Lots of celebrities and mucky mucks on those flights, so upgrades to FC are hard to come by. I am usually in business.

I have also been flying AA 1520 from LAX/MIA connecting to either AA codeshare 7701 or AA 945 to Santiago for my 4 South American trips. I would rather sit in business on an internationally configured plane than sit in first on a 757/MD80.

Archived