Skagway Excursion Dilemma!!!!!

Randyxl

Our family is deciding on either the Glacier Lake Kayak and Scenic Railway Excursion or the White Pass Railway Excursion. Never kayaking before, is the kayaking portion of the tour difficult for some novice kayakers?

Thanks to all

Randy

Minneapolis

:eek: :o :rolleyes:

Just a suggestion, but in Skagway we did both the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari that includes some canoe time and the trip to the summit by bus. We were very satisifed and got to spend time "doing" rather than just "seeing".

Good luck.

Just a suggestion, but in Skagway we did both the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari that includes some canoe time and the trip to the summit by bus. We were very satisifed and got to spend time "doing" rather than just "seeing".

Good luck.

We did the Glacier Point Wilderness safari, as well, and I would highly recommend it. It was one of our favorite excursions (next to the helicopter/glacier landing). We took a catamaran to Glacier Point island, a brief hike to the river, and then canoed past tons of waterfalls, and went right up alongside Davidson Glacier. It was just amazing and the scenery from the canoe is breathtaking. Even saw a whale and some seals on the way back. The guides are great and love their jobs, which adds a lot to the experience.

We just got back from our cruise and we did the Glacier Lake Kayak and Scenic Railway in Skagway. My opinion would be to skip the tour and railway. Well let me qualify that statement. If the weather forecast calls for rain or very cloudy conditions, then there just isn't much to see on the train ride. The lake scenery was ok, but there isn't much wildlife to see. I would recommend kayaking in Ketchikan instead. The kayaking is somewhat of a workout if you have never kayaked before, but it's not too strenuous, unless of course your partner decides not to paddle.

I would definitely not take this excursion again. Next time, I'd probably take one of the helicopter flights.

I enjoyed the tour we booked in Skagway through Southeasttours.com, horse back riding into the Yukon and above Emerald Lake. The van ride to the corral was great scenery, runs along the White Pass tracks, and then into Carcross. We saw some bears, mountain goats, and some friends who left after us saw a moose.The riding was great, even for two people in our party who had only been on a horse once before in their lives.

We just got back from our trip, and also did the Train & kayaking. I have to say that we loved this one. Our kids are 17 & 19, and they LOVED the train. Also, it was raining and cloudy/foggy but we have some AWESOME pictures and video from the train ride anyway. It cleared up quite nicely by the time we got to the lake, and we all had a blast. You do not need experience to kayak. I was the only one of us who had not really done it much, but it would REALLY be hard for you to tip over. In fact, I think you would probably have to work at it on purpose in order to tip. If your kids are about 12 or over, they will like the train. Make sure they have their own camera to use, even if it's a disposable. They will get many great shots! Don't even give them the suggestion that they might be bored. Kids feed on that type of thing! Just tell them what a blast it will be and that they may never get to do something like that again in their lives! Have a great time!

sarahjane

Archived