A Great Gay Novel About A Young Man Fascinated With Cruise Ships

NormalGuyATL

I just read Steven Rivellino's novel "Mysterious Places, Mysterious Dreams — A Novel Memoir" (Xlibris - May 2004) and I think the book changed my view of many things.

First, I found the main character very much like me. As I child, I was fascinated by cruise ships too and fortunately was able to travel on many. A pastime I continue today.

At the age of ten (twenty years ago) I was drawing my dream ships with bowling alleys, ice skating rinks, cabins with balconies, etc. It's great to see the ships I dreamt of becoming reality today.

I'm not going to give away any of the novel .. I think you should read it. The characters are primarily gay. It's the first gay novel I've read.

Needless to say, I've gone from being kinda nervous about taking my first cruise alone to being very optimistic. I'm not out and normally I take trips with friends and family forcing myself to act the way they expect me to act. After reading this book, I'm going to be myself on this trip. I'm going to open myself up for a chance at love or lust. I might end up being let down but it wont' be due to being in denial or acting a certain way. There's the old line of "it's better to have lost at love than to never have have loved at all."

If anyone knows of other gay novels that are worth a read, please let me know. This book was going to be my read on the cruise coming up (Conquest 8/29/04) but now I have to find something else to read.

Just wanted to share.

Yes, it's a great book. Click the link below as we have discussed this book on Cruise Critic a month or so ago. Like you, I found many similarities between the author and myself. I'm glad you enjoyed the book as much as I did.

Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=32079

Ernie

ps - Fellow Atlantan here!

Archived