passport for kids

Margarita1time

I'm wondering if someone can tell me if my 9 year old would need a passport? She has a photo ID, But I assume that's not adequate anymore. We leave in 4 weeks. She was supposed to be with relatives that week, but due to circumstances-they won't be able to keep her. The next option was to take her along-untill I remembered the passport thing. From what I understand it would be virtually impossible to get a passport that quickly. Does anyome know for sure? Thanks!

That all depends on where you are going....if you need a passport, such as a trip to Europe or South America, then yes, your daughter needs one as well. But if its a cruise out of the US to the Caribbean, then none of you needs a passport and can travel on certified birth certificates and picture ID.

Right, we are sailing on 4/7 to the Mexican Riviea and we haven't gotten our passports yet!:eek: However, we were told that all we need is a certified copy of our birth certificates (with the State of birth seal on it - IT HAS TO HAVE AN EMBOSSED STATE SEAL!) You also need some kind of government ID w/your picture on it, such as a driver's license. Also, and this is very important! If the name on your driver's license does not match the name on your birth certificate because you changed your name when you got married --- YOU MUST BRING A CERTIFIED COPY OF YOUR MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE! If you have changed your name for any other reason - you must have proof of the name change.:D Our DS' birth certificate had to be sent with his passport application. Thank goodness we have 2 extra certified copies of it!!:)

Unless your cruise line requires it, no one NEEDS a passport to cruise the Caribbean, Mexico or Canada this year. (Here is the link to the US laws.)

Here is what I copied from the RCI website (you do NOT need to bring a marriage certificate if your cruise documents match your driver's license or passport):

"Domestic Travel:

For domestic travel which includes: the Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico, a passport (valid or expired) is highly recommended.

In the absence of a passport, a birth certificate (original or a certified copy), plus a picture ID card issued by a federal, state or local government agency is required.

A voter registration card or Social Security Card are not considered to be proof of citizenship.

Children under 16 years of age do not require a picture ID. "

So, as long as you have her BC, you are good to go!

Thanks for the responses. I did some research too, and it does look like for a cruise we're OK for now(with proper ID like you stated). The funny thing is, I called my TA (who has been pretty poor anyway), and she said- "the 9 year old MUST have a passport for the cruise. No exceptions. Good luck getting one in time". Oh well. Still working out the details.

Thanks for the responses. I did some research too, and it does look like for a cruise we're OK for now(with proper ID like you stated). The funny thing is, I called my TA (who has been pretty poor anyway), and she said- "the 9 year old MUST have a passport for the cruise. No exceptions. Good luck getting one in time". Oh well. Still working out the details.

if cruising out of the US all you need is a birthcertificate --for now.

Your agent should have told you the passports are highly recommended. If you get stuck in a port and missed the ship you will have a hard time getting home since a passport will be needed. Dont miss the ship.

children 16 and over are the only ones that need a photo ID

Sheffie- That's correct. Just a one week caribbean. DH and I both have passports. Will be getting one for the youngster, but with 40 days to go- pretty unlikely we will get one for her before this cruise. I heard that it's about 12 weeks now from time you apply, until receiving. Like I said, if I had realized we would need for her to join us, we would have started the process back when we booked. We'll see what happens. Hoping we don't have to cancel.

(with the State of birth seal on it - IT HAS TO HAVE AN EMBOSSED STATE SEAL!)

Just to add on...some states don't have the embossed, raised, seals. WA, for example, has this funky multicolored swirly thing going on with their flat stamp (no embossing, nothing raised). And it's still a certified copy. The passport site states that it's either the raised/embossed OR the multicolor seal/stamps.... :)

Didn't want anyone in WA to panic. :D

To the OP...you've made sure with the cruise line that there is room for her, yes? :o

Archived