? a pullman and a rollaway on Crown Princess quad (not for the faint at heart)

And so it begins........Right price...right itineary.......We are thinking of booking our first balcony on the Crown Princess. Unfortunetly there are no true quads left...only triples with a rollaway.

First, it's okay.....really!...we've done inside quads and even inside fivers many times (gotta love norwegian Sun and Celebrity Mellenium), so I'm used to wall to wall people/children....and I've compared other scenarios/costs and it's not in the budget on this sailing.

So I'm specifically curious about the room setup with the rollaway.

Are the beds set up just like a typical inside with a bed table in the middle/each side? I know it only shows twins as an option...but can the beds be pushed together? (No hanky panky...just used to foot overlappings.)

Or is it set up more like an L shape?

Also, my friend has 3 kids (a no-no in the cruise world) and she would like to know if once the room is set up with the rollaway, is there floor space to add another small child (registered in another room) on a blow up mattress, for instance, in the room?

Where is the pullman in this? When out, does it obstruct balcony and tv view.

Where do they put the rollaway?

For comparison's sake, I am familiar with Caribbean princess quad insides..and double balcony rooms.

And no I am not crazy, just on a budget.

Here's a diagram of a typical balcony cabin. The third berth (upper) is above the beds. As you can see, there isn't a lot of floor space.

I know people have managed to cram 4 people into one of these cabins, but for the life of me I don't know how they manage!

balcony.gif.3d7c145caf6a0876cd6f7a96173eac54.gif

Go and compair the size of rooms with Carnival Pride. If the rooms are in sizable compairson with Carnival Pride, then its ok for 4 in one room.

We took our teens with us and all four stayed in on cabin on Carnival Pride. The space was ok. And we managed just fine.

I had rather only have 2 in a cabin, but hey, I understand budgeting so you can do a cruise completely. And your only in that cabin to sleep and get dressed. So go and enjoy.

Suzy

I have read many posts where some have put a roll a way into a balcony cabin, still can't understand where they put it but they say they have. I also have never read where they have come back and reported how it went. That being said, to find room for a 5th person, even a child on a blow up mattress would seem to be impossible. The floor space in a balcony cabin is so minimal, the roll a way would take up anything available. Only place I could think of to put a blow up mattress would be in the closet, which would be a tough go no matter what. With all the clothes hung up, that probably would be impossible.

Very tough call here, as I can not even imagine 5 in one of those tiny little cabins..........................pretty much impossible. BUT, where there is a will, there is a way. Maybe sleeping in shifts (joking).

Best of luck on this one.

I don't understand why you don't just get 2 cabins? We've been doing it with our kids for 7 years. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Because the OP said she is not independently weathy and it is not within her budget to buy two cabins, I suspect her budget is go with the 4 per cabin or not cruise, she selected the 4 per cabin option. Me, I would have selected the not go but each their own. Two of us are crowded in a mini-suite but I certainly understand budgets and cutting costs somewhere.

Because the OP said she is not independently weathy and it is not within her budget to buy two cabins, I suspect her budget is go with the 4 per cabin or not cruise, she selected the 4 per cabin option. Me, I would have selected the not go but each their own. Two of us are crowded in a mini-suite but I certainly understand budgets and cutting costs somewhere.

Missed that. It certainly doesn't take someone to be independently wealthy to buy 2 cabins, but whatever works for her I guess. Sure wouldn't want to be in that cabin though! :eek:

I know people have managed to cram 4 people into one of these cabins, but for the life of me I don't know how they manage!

People adapt. The four of us live in a Walmart sized home where even the pets have their own room, yet we did fine twice in BC cabins... One with 2+2 and one 2+1+1.

There is absolutely no space left for another bed once the rollout is in. It's as simple as that. You can't even go out the balcony without acrobatics. 2+2 bunks is MUCH nicer.

Having said that, if you're in the San Juan 7 day itineraries you will never be in the cabin so why bother? On the CB a couple years back the sea days made the balcony worthwhile, on the Crown we took a few pictures, had a couple of martinis, and that was it.

Thankyou for the responses and the picture.

Just to impart abit of quad understanding....

First of all, budgets/wealth levels mean different things to everyone. We are a one-income factory worker family. We manage our money very well and our splurge is to travel about once a year.

The only reason we can afford to travel is by making huge compromises in our lifestyle and cruisestyle, which up until now always meant low-season inside quads.

To put things in budget perspective, the cruises we've taken on NCL, Celebrity, and Princess.... have always been under $2000 for the 4 of us. You cannot book two rooms for that.

Specifically, last year, on Caribbean Princess, our third and fourth insides were $50 each. At that point getting two double inside cabins meant a price difference of a whole other cruise.

However, I can see why people don't understand. I compared the itineary I want to do for a Nov sailing (free promo upgrade to Balcony) with the Jan/Feb price. In November the price for a quad balcony is really good.....good enough for me to consider going over to the "other" side. In Jan/Feb the quad balcony is so expensive that for $50 more we can get an double inside and a doulbe balcony.....but then we can't afford to go.

Budget aside, families are also different. My kids are too young to stay in a cabin by themselves. Some people choose to keep their teenagers supervised by keeping them in the cabin with them. Last year my sister and hubby had 3 teens in their cabin.

Regarding the cabin....yes it is cramped. If we had to do our own housekeeping....there's no way we could do it. It takes a ton of organization and each time we pack less and less clothes and more and more organizational tools....but there's nothing like that feeling at night....of going to bed and everyone is tucked in their beds...in that little cocoon....safe...and I'm thinking of how happy I am that I have my kids with me and that they saw this or that today. Then in the dark one of the kids accidentally farts....and their laughter ensues.

For me, this is a treat.

People adapt. The four of us live in a Walmart sized home where even the pets have their own room, yet we did fine twice in BC cabins... One with 2+2 and one 2+1+1. quote]

Turbo...in the BC 2+1+1...which I think is similar to the BD, is the pullman against the closet wall or does that huge pullman trap door open up blocking the patio door + tv?

First of all, budgets/wealth levels mean different things to everyone. We are a one-income factory worker family. We manage our money very well and our splurge is to travel about once a year.

The only reason we can afford to travel is by making huge compromises in our lifestyle and cruisestyle, which up until now always meant low-season inside quads.

To put things in budget perspective, the cruises we've taken on NCL, Celebrity, and Princess.... have always been under $2000 for the 4 of us. You cannot book two rooms for that.

Specifically, last year, on Caribbean Princess, our third and fourth insides were $50 each. At that point getting two double inside cabins meant a price difference of a whole other cruise.

However, I can see why people don't understand. I compared the itineary I want to do for a Nov sailing (free promo upgrade to Balcony) with the Jan/Feb price. In November the price for a quad balcony is really good.....good enough for me to consider going over to the "other" side. In Jan/Feb the quad balcony is so expensive that for $50 more we can get an double inside and a doulbe balcony.....but then we can't afford to go.

Budget aside, families are also different. My kids are too young to stay in a cabin by themselves. Some people choose to keep their teenagers supervised by keeping them in the cabin with them. Last year my sister and hubby had 3 teens in their cabin.

Regarding the cabin....yes it is cramped. If we had to do our own housekeeping....there's no way we could do it. It takes a ton of organization and each time we pack less and less clothes and more and more organizational tools....but there's nothing like that feeling at night....of going to bed and everyone is tucked in their beds...in that little cocoon....safe...and I'm thinking of how happy I am that I have my kids with me and that they saw this or that today. Then in the dark one of the kids accidentally farts....and their laughter ensues.

For me, this is a treat.

We have a travel trailer and we camp quite often with the kids, these are the funniest trips filled with many memories. You manage on whatever your budget allows. So if you are tripping over things and its a little crowded, it is well worth it in the end to spend this time with the family. Have a great cruise!!!

For me, this is a treat.

I totally agree. Anyone who can enjoy a child's fart and the other children's giggles is a person after my own heart (one who can enjoy simple pleasures). Ignore the posters with Wal-Mart-sized homes and Tiffany egos, and have a helluva cruise.

Mark:D

Ps Wish I was in that cabin with you - I'm a fart smeller - make that smart feller.:rolleyes:

What are the 3rd and 4th bed configurations in the balcony cabins and mini-suites on Princess?

I hope they don't put 2 people in a sleeper sofa, IMO, that's not adequate for 2 adults.

So where to the 3rd and 4th pax sleep?

Balcony cabins have one or two pull down bunks on the wall, depending on the cabin, some sleep three, some sleep four. If a forth is needed in a three person cabin, they bring in a roll-a-way which does make the cabin wall to wall beds and leaves minimal access to the balcony while the rolla-way is set up. Mini suites have a sleeper sofa and one other pull down bunk besides the two twins.

Archived