Dining options in Ohau with 5 children!!

petefamily7@yahoo.com

We have 3 nights on Ohau before our cruise begins. I have 5 children and don't really want anything fancy. It would also be nice to eat at places we don't have at home.

Also, we do have a car rented but it would be great if we could walk to it.

We are staying at the Embassy Suites.

Any help will be great!! Angie

The keiki meals at the poolside grill and snack bar at the Hale Koa are a great option for your kids! (Right next to the Hilton Hawaiian Village). Very reasonable and big portions. Hale Koa is a hotel just for military personnel and retured military people, so don't try to use the pool or other facilities as they are STRICTLY for military families, but we ate atthe snack bar which is close to the beach with no problem or questions. I believe it is a concession run by local folks.

Wolfgang Puck Express. Right on Waikiki Beach. Large meals that you can split. Try to eat there around the time of the torch lighting ceremony at dusk (ask a local for the time that day). Has tables inside and out, order from a counter. The chef was great about making things not on the menu as long as he had the ingredients on hand.

There are also the usual fast food places you are used to on the mainland. Mc D's is across from the Prince Kuhio hula mound where they put on Hawaiian entertainment in the evening. Also the kids might like the drill put on by the King's Guard at the Kings Village Shopping Center across from

Princess Kaiulani Hotel. Another suggestion maybe a bit cheaper for breakfast is the Oceanarium at the Pacific Beach Hotel, you can dine with the fishes. They have quite an assortment including sting rays and sharks. http://www.pacificbeachhotel.com/Content.aspx?path=/ServicesAttractions/TheOceanarium

If you want a cheap buffet for breakfast, lunch or dinner, try Smorgy's on Kuhio Ave and Kaiulani. Here's some reviews, not all of them are good. We've eaten there on more than one occasion and thought it was fine. Don't walk away from your table with food on it or the birds will attack. http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-2822859-prod-travelguide-action-read-ratings_and_reviews-i

For more of a Hawaiian flavor, try Zippy's, not sure of locations in Waikiki, http://www.zippys.com/

Not sure of the age of your children, but they might like the Tiki Bar at Waikiki Beach Hotel or even Duke's in the Outrigger. Dinner at Duke's if you're into complete meals are about $20 on up, but they have sandwiches and other more reasonable things. They also have a great breakfast buffet. http://www.dukeswaikiki.com/

Do consider Duke's. Not sure where the Embassy is but Duke's is next to the Moana Surfrider in the Outrigger, I think, and has great burgers, waffle fries (each order is a huge plate full to share) and sandwiches. They have two wonderful desserts that are must haves, their Hula Pie is famous and huge, big enough that four of us shared it. They also have great key lime pie.

It's a fun, noisy place right on the pool and ocean and the kids would probably enjoy seing the old, huge surfboards from Duke Kahanamoku, one of the most famous surfers of the 40's (?). The pictures of the 12-14 ft. boards are interesting also.

Bug Dan's suggestion of the Tiki Grill is great. You can park in the zoo parking lot and walk about a long block to the restaurant. There are plenty of metered spaces and cost is around 25 cents an hour. The restaurant is on the 2nd deck and has some outside seating with a nice view of the ocean. We reserved a table for 2 and took in the beautiful sunset. Their prices are reasonable. They also have a 3 piece band that your kids might enjoy. Right below the restaurant is a Cold Stone Creamery where you can get cones, milk shakes, etc. and enjoy it across the street on park benches looking at the ocean. The kids might enjoy going out on a long public pier which is right there. With your large family, reservations would be smart.

John L.

Embassy Suites is near the Outrigger Reef and Halekulani, I believe it's called the Beach Walk Area. The area has recently been redone and I'm not familiar with what they may have in the way of eateries in that area. It is a pretty fair walk to places like Dukes and the Tiki Bar, maybe about a 20 minute walk on Kalakaua Ave. Kalakaua Ave at night is also a form of entertainment, people watching, mimes, street performers and of course window shopping. Prices are pretty high, so we keep it to just looking:)

The Cheesecake Factory was great. The meals were so large, and had a variety of choices. I had wanted to try a piece of cheesecake, but could not even eat 1/2 of my meal. There were many tables sharing meals. Their location is by the International Market Place, fronting Kalakaua Avenue.

We have never been to the Cheesecake Factory, but if it is near the International Market Place, it will probably be a nice walk (stroll) along Kalakauka Avenue to get there. Your hotel location will be just a block or so from Kalakauka Avenue, and it will be fun for you to really experience Waikiki while walking! It can be a real zoo atmosphere, but you will know you've been there!

Kalakaua Avenue actually parallels the beach (they are several blocks apart) so you could always walk the beach to get where you are going, and then cut through any of the hotels to get to Kalakkaua Avenue. I would think with the ages of your children this would be their preferred route! Just go out of your hotel, head to the beach. When you get to the water's edge, facing the ocean, go left to head for the main part of Waikiki, or walk to the right to get to the Hale Koa and/or Hilton Hawaiian Village.

I have never been but understand that on Friday nights there is a show and fireworks on the beach at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

The Embassy Suites area has been under construction so I don't know just how easy it is to get down to the water from there right now.

Please be sure to come back and tell us all about your adventure. You should have a wonderful time and many happy memories. Good Luck and Aloha to you all. Bucky

We have never been to the Cheesecake Factory, but if it is near the International Market Place, it will probably be a nice walk (stroll) along Kalakauka Avenue to get there. Your hotel location will be just a block or so from Kalakauka Avenue, and it will be fun for you to really experience Waikiki while walking! It can be a real zoo atmosphere, but you will know you've been there!

Kalakaua Avenue actually parallels the beach (they are several blocks apart) so you could always walk the beach to get where you are going, and then cut through any of the hotels to get to Kalakkaua Avenue. I would think with the ages of your children this would be their preferred route! Just go out of your hotel, head to the beach. When you get to the water's edge, facing the ocean, walk to the left to head for the main part of Waikiki, or walk to the right to get to the Hale Koa and/or Hilton Hawaiian Village.

I have never been but understand that on Friday nights there is a show and fireworks on the beach at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

The Embassy Suites area has been under construction so I don't know just how easy it is to get down to the water from there right now.

Please be sure to come back and tell us all about your adventure. You should have a wonderful time and many happy memories. Good Luck and Aloha to you all. Bucky

If you check the map on this site http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/oahu_waikiki.html

Embassy Suites I believe is around Lewers/Beachwalk area. The Cheesecake Factory is located in the eastern end of the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center, just across Kalakaui from the western edge of the International Shopping Center. It really is a short walk, as I said previously, maybe 20 minutes to Duke's which is almost next door to it.

I wanted to add this link to info on the King's Guard. http://www.kings-village.com/kingsguard.html

They perform nightly at the King's Village Shopping Center at 6:30 pm beginning with a lowering of the flag and then a close order drill. It only lasts about 20 minutes but it's a nice presentation. Also in the same area, a little closer to Diamond Head is the Prince Kuhio Hula Mound. They have nightly performances of Hawaiian Entertainment as well as a torch lighting ceremony. These shows are free and if you've purchased beach mats at an ABC store, you might want to bring them along. Seating is on the ground and it fills up early.

Hi again - This has nothing to do with dining, but I just came across this site posted by someone on the roll call for our Princess cruise. It has information on snorkeling Oahu, Maui, and Kona on the Big Island. It is excellent information with pictures, so if you are still undecided about snorkeling places, go here:

http://www.hawaiisnorkelingguide.com

Thanks for the info on snorkling! I think I am going to take the kids on Ohau before our cruise. I am just afraid we will get too busy once we are on the cruise.

I love all the dining tips! I have everything down and I am so ready!!!

My hubby told me to quit doing research because nothing would be new when we arrived!ha

He forgets we have been before, it has just been 20 years.

Again, Thank you Thank You!!! Angie

We are just back from POH and a 5 day stay on Waikiki with 2 kids.

We ate at the Cheesecake Factory, Cheeseburger Heaven(?) Duke's and Wolfgang Puck.

The most economical by far was Wolfgang Puck. As previously stated. the portions are large and good for sharing. The kids liked the food there too, sandwiches, salads, pizzas and pastas.

We are just back from POH and a 5 day stay on Waikiki with 2 kids.

We ate at the Cheesecake Factory, Cheeseburger Heaven(?) Duke's and Wolfgang Puck.

The most economical by far was Wolfgang Puck. As previously stated. the portions are large and good for sharing. The kids liked the food there too, sandwiches, salads, pizzas and pastas.

I expect you mean Cheeseburger in Paradise, which is quite popular. Another popular place is Bubba Gumps. We like the local place Likelike Drive-in, which is just north of Ala Moana shopping center. You probably need a car to get there. Having visited a number of times, I think that they are quite family-friendly. Also, if you get to the Ala Moana shopping center, there is a huge food court there with something for everyone.

• 4 months later...

To those who have stayed at the Embassy Suites Waikiki Beach Walk - can you shed light on how suitable the armoire would be for hanging up 2 suitbags of formal clothing. I'm a little concerned since I read they don't have closets. We are staying in a king one bedroom unit.

Archived