Dining question ASAP! Help!

RDangerIII

Please help, I know what the formal attire night is but what is the difference between informal and casual???

Leaving tomorrow, please help!

Thanks

Informal means a sportcoat and tie for the men and for the women, something similar to what you'd wear to a nice restaurant in the evening. Pants and nice blouse, more casual dress etc.

Casual means a pair of slacks and a top for women and for men, a polo shirt or sport shirt. Hope this helps.......

is a jacket mandatory? It doesn't matter to me but I have people who are going who were wondering if just a nice dress shirt will suffice?

They say they'll enforce dress codes but tbh, I've never seen it done. DH has shown up with shirt and tie and no jacket and had no problems but maybe they ought to wear a tie too. Most people observe the dress codes.

Nah!!! This is a volitle subject on these boards and could get mean.

I tell you what I've seen. X has their dress code, but it is rarely enforced. Bring the jacket just in case. Don't wear it, but be prepared to run to the room if they decide to enforce the dress code. It would be a shame to miss dinner because they decided not to pack a jacket.

I always follow the dress code and enjoy the atmosphere it creates.

RDangerIII,

is a jacket mandatory? It doesn't matter to me but I have people who are going who were wondering if just a nice dress shirt will suffice?

It's exceedingly rude and contrary to all norms of social etiquette to fail to conform to the attire prescribed by your host (that is, on any cruise, the master of the vessel). Thus, social etiquette dictates that the jacket is mandatory even if the ship does not actively enforce the requirement.

Norm.

Gentlemen, when you say "shirt and tie, no jacket", are you referring to a shirt with short sleeves?

Please say it isn't so .... :eek:

eek is right!..............Long sleeve dress shirt and tie. One wouldn't want to be rude to the master of the vessel, now would one?

"Informal" dress code is a crock! Even Celebrity can't get it straight whether that means jacket and tie or if a jacket suffices without a tie. Their website says one thing but the onboard dailies say something else. If a Jacket with no tie is fine, how is that any dressier than a tie with no jacket. The whole thing is silly!

To me, because they seem to be unable to come up with an actual definition of the proper attire, it is not "exceedingly rude and contrary to all norms of social etiquette" to guesstimate the spirit of what they are going for. My personal feeling is that if you wear either a shirt and tie with no jacket or a shirt and jacket with no tie, you are FINE and perfectly socially acceptable. I personally wore a jacket and tie, but that's because when I'm confused, I take whatever course of action that is safest and least likely to result in embarassment...

On Celebrity Web Site under the "On Board Experience" tab.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyceleb/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000peVc4o84Bc66oZcboGHpPv5:1028etni0?pagename=proper_dining_attire

Evening Dress Codes

Celebrity's evening dress codes include three types: formal, casual and informal. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate evening attire.

Formal Night Attire

Ladies: Evening gown or fancy dress

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit

Informal Night Attire

Ladies: Informal dress or pants and blouse

Gentlemen: Jacket and tie with slacks

Casual Night Attire

Ladies: Pantsuit or sporty outfit

Gentlemen: Sport shirt and slacks

Dining in jeans detracts from the overall ambience and is therefore not allowed in the main dining room after 6:00pm. Evening dress codes apply to both main restaurant dining as well as specialty restaurant dining*.

Archived