Who knew....Fridays are bad for booking cruises!

ALadyNCal

Made the decision, we're booking the VALOR in May. Decided to get the airfare locked in before something changes over the weekend. Now I wanted to finalize the cruise booking. Seems I can't :( I used *****.com and had a couple of quotes and had also talked to the PVP two days ago (about a different sailing).

Called the PVP to see if she could match the ***** quote....she's out until Monday.....

Called the agency with the best online quote thru *****.....he's out until Sunday.....

Don't really want to move on to the second or third quotes I received.....so I guess I'll think about it for a couple of days while I wait for the agents to be back in their offices :(

I never thought of FRIDAY as a bad day to reach travel agents....but apparently it is!

Hopefully nothing much will change in the next 72 hours and then we can get our reservation nailed down :) Guess that gives me time to get a couple of more quotes!

Now I have to rethink moving on the one of the other quotes... There were two cabins I was thinking of as now one is taken :(

Because this sailing doesn't seem to have any Past Passenger discounts, I am not too confident that the PVP will match the other quotes. But then again, I've never used a PVP. In the past I've used online brokers -- just neither of the two that have quoted me on this trip.

I don't know if you want to wait. Carnival does computer maintainance on Friday nights at 1am est. The prices very well could change, or not.

Thanks -- was unaware of that. That is primarily why I locked in the airfare -- I'd kick myself it if went up allot over the weekend!

OK, moving on to the next quote.....

Well....got the bait n switch :( Quote I received by email was a 'mistake' :( :( :( She said it would be $41/pp more than the email. I said I'd call back.

Guess I'll call the other online agency and maybe get a different agent. Just because the agent listed in the email is out till Sunday doesn't mean someone else in their office can't honor the email quote from *****....hopefully...

The bait and switch happened to me with a quote I got for my cruise last year from *****. When I called about the lower price, the agent informed me a mistake had been made and it was actually $xx more. I can't remember exactly how much more. I was inexperienced with this whole process and went ahead and booked anyway, which went just fine. When I read your post, it occurred to me again, and now I am sure that bait and switch is exactly what happened. That's pretty annoying, isn't it?

Well, took four attempts to lock in this reservation!

PVP -- out till Mon...

***** agent w/second best price -- out till Sun...*

***** agent w/best price -- changed price when I contacted them (and she pronounced VALOR as valour)

***** agent w/third best price -- GOT IT :)

Never thought it'd take so many calls....but it did!

I went with agent #2 FIRST because they had a specific contact in the email quote; the first quote just said 'any agent' and I somehow didn't like that as much :(

Gave pause for a few minutes when calling the third agent... I am not specifically familiar with them, but it seems to be an agent with a great history and a newer agency. Once my reservation shows up in the Carnival system, I'm sure it'll be fine. We don't need hand holding and our sailing is less than eight weeks out.

So.....I'm locked in....for our FIRST Carnival cruise :) We went with an assigned cabin but now I can watch the pricing to see if I can get anything else as a result of price fluctuations between now and sailing :)

The bait and switch happened to me with a quote I got for my cruise last year from *****. When I called about the lower price, the agent informed me a mistake had been made and it was actually $xx more. I can't remember exactly how much more. I was inexperienced with this whole process and went ahead and booked anyway, which went just fine. When I read your post, it occurred to me again, and now I am sure that bait and switch is exactly what happened. That's pretty annoying, isn't it?

That is probably what happened to you. I'm sure you won't let it happen again tho ;) There are LOTS of professional and competitive cruise agencies -- just contact another one if that happens.

You never mentioned when you were sailing. There are several Valor Roll Calls started for May. I will be sailing on May 6. If that is your sail date, come on over to the Roll Call forum and join us!

Happy Sailing!

Beth

This booking is keeping me on my toes...

Just told DH that we're set.....finally locked in....etc, etc, etc.

Came back to the computer + had my email confirmation. TA said to confirm names + DOBs and let her know if anything was wrong.

Well names & DOBs are fine.....but the confirmation was for the WRONG SHIP :(

Called & got that straightened out. Not sure how she did that or if the Triumph sails the same date or just a typo...but now she's sending our VALOR confirmation ;)

I used ***** last year, called the agent back within minutes of receiving their email, was also told it was a mistake:mad: The agent tried to tell me the fare went up in the space of about 2 or 3 minutes and he would not honor it. I went with somebody else.

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived