Mexican Riviera From California Versus Eastern Caribbean???

GB65

I'm looking for some feedback from cruisers who have been to both -- I've taken several cruises to all over Caribbean (South, East, and West) but never the Pacific side of Mexico from California. Can you give me some info as to what your preference is and why?? We're looking at our next cruise - Feb 2008.

Thanks in advance!

I haven't cruised into the southern part of the Mexican Riviera, but have done some of it plus land trips to Mazatlan. It is very different from the Caribbean, from what I have seen and from what cliants have said. I think the Caribbean is prettier and more diversified, but for a change Mexico Riv should be a good cruise. We are doing it in Sept. Do be forewarned, the weather in Feb will be a bit on the foggy or cold side the first 2 or 3 days. If sunshine and suntan is your cup of tea, maybe this wouldn't be the best cruise for you. NMnita

Just took my first Mexican Riviera cruise in January. While I had a really good time (after all I was with my twenty-nine year old son . . . it was his 60th birthday gift to me) . . . I so much more enjoy my cruises to the Caribbean. The Caribbean has crystal clear blue waters, many more fun things to do in ports and what can I say . . . I love the Caribbean. Not to mention that a flight to Florida takes half the time as a flight to California from Virginia . . . :p

You can't go wrong with either place. I have been all over the Caribbean and Mexico. They are totally different places. If you like to snorkel and prefer warmer water, the Caribbean is best. I much prefer the Caribbean because I love to snorkel and they have some of the best places in the world to do that. Also, I just love the feel of the Caribbean. I love the people and the warm balmy breezes, and I love the music.

I don't know what you like to do, but in Feb. it will not be warm in Mexico, especially at night. I've been there in March and it was overcast everyday just about. If you just go for the culture and shopping and relaxing, Mexico if fine. No matter where you go I hope you have a great time.

We enjoyed all of our cruises, and will probably cruise the Mexican Riviera again since we are within driving distance, but be aware that the first and last days at sea might be too cold/windy to enjoy any outdoor deck activites (we went in May, and only brave kids were enjoying the pool deck---and their parents watching them, of course). Also, the water is not as clear or warm, compared to the Caribbean. It's just different than the Caribbean, but, if you do your homework, you will still have a great time. Plus, you can check out either LA or San Diego pre-cruise! (Disneyland???:) )

I see the OP is from NC, so why not the Caribbean again?...and again? The cruises I have taken to the Mexican Riviera, and they equal the number of cruises to the Caribbean, have been amongst my favorites, but because of the ships, not so much the ports. We rarely get off the ship for those Mexican Riviera ports....the Caribbean is so much more interesting....so many different stops to choose from. Matzalan is extremely dirty and seems to be going through a huge economic bust. Cabo is so expensive and they seem to charge double if you are from the cruise ship. Acapulco..yuk. The Bahamas...beautiful. Jamaica, also gorgeous if you find the right spot. Grand Cayman, Belize, St Thomas, St Martin, St John, Tortola, Virgin Gorda....well, I think you get the picture, all gorgeous with a ton of stuff to do. There is whale watching in Feb in Cabo...well worth it if you go. I would go for the easier trip there and stick with the Caribbean, however.

If you can get to Zihuatanejo and La Paz, you are in for a totally different experience from the rest of Mexican Riviera. Zihua is a classic fishing village set in a tropical jungle. Ignore Ixtapa next door. Great beaches and snorkeling, great unique food. La Paz is a real Mexican city north of Cabo. Very clean beaches, blue waters on the Sea of Cortez. Very unique ports.

I'm looking for some feedback from cruisers who have been to both -- I've taken several cruises to all over Caribbean (South, East, and West) but never the Pacific side of Mexico from California. Can you give me some info as to what your preference is and why?? We're looking at our next cruise - Feb 2008.

Thanks in advance!

We just returned from our first Mexican Riviera cruise on the Vision, having in the past, cruised E/W/S Caribbean as well as Bermuda and Bahamas. It was nice to see different the different ports -- Cabo/Mazatlan and PV. Did a whale watching excursion in Cabo which totally amazing. If you're a shopper, in particular, fine Jewellery, Liquor, electronics and/or cameras, these ports did not have as much selection... they did however have nice silver and lots of tequila. Keep in mind the weather is cold at that time of year. Out of the 3 at "sea days" (travelling between LA and Mexico) the kids only swam in the pool once. People on deck were bundled in their towels. Many were wearing pants and light jackets.

What ever you decide, have a great cruise!

Archived