Suggestions for Houston before flying home

kywildcatfanone

Hi,

We will be off the Grand on April 7th, and our flight out of IAH isn't until 5:30pm. Assuming we get off the ship on time, we will have 4-5 hours to kill before getting to IAH. Any suggestions on something to do, or somewhere to eat a late lunch/early supper?

Thanks,

Mike

The ship offers tours to NASA and then they take you to the airport. My son works at NASA and we have done a tour. It's really interesting. It's about a 30 minute ride from the port to NASA and if you are flying out of Hobby it's another 30-35 minutes to the airport. If you are flying out of Intercontinental (Bush) then it's about 1 1/2 hours to the airport from NASA. There is also Moody Gardens right in Galveston which has an IMAX theater and aquarium to visit.

We had a similar dilemma returning from our last cruise from Galveston. In addition to the Johnson Space Center, you can kill time by visiting Kemah which is a really interesting boardwalk entertainment village on the way back to Houston. Or you can go to Moody's in Galveston which has several ecological areas to explore.

I'd suggest booking an excursion through Princess post cruise. We did this because as a PP said, you disembark reasonably quickly (and early) and go do the excursion, then end up at the airport. So, you don't have to arrange for transportation to the airport. They look at flight times, and allow for plenty of time to make it to the airport, yet still see or do something.

We did this in Puerto Rico, and it turned out wonderfully. The price was fairly decent too.

Thanks to all for your help. I should have provided a bit more info in my question. We are traveling with my in-laws and I suggested the Space Center, but they aren't interested in that:mad:, and since we have no other plans and the late flight, I rented a car one way in Galveston to IAH. I will call the airline when we are in the car heading out of Galveston, but I doubt I will find an earlier flight, so without the Space Center being an option (although my wife, who is a science teacher and I would love to tour there), we were looking at other options. Thanks for all the replys, and I will investigate the things mentioned.

Mike

Archived