Another Formal Night Question.

taxdragon

I plan to wear my formal kilt for the formal night on the Golden. I am of Scottish descent and like the look. This is my first cruise and don't want to look too out of place. Will this be well recieved? Thanks, Al

On a sailing, we had a miltary (Marines) couple at our table and when he showed up in his dress uniform, the room clapped. All night long people sent drinks over to him and tahnks him for his service. He was leaving for Bagdad the day after we docked and this was his last fling. Sometimes looking different is a good thing.

Wear your kilt proudly and don't worry about turning a few heads.

Charlie

I'm of Scottish descent as well and have often thought about getting a kilt and accoutrement's, but the DW doesn't care for the idea. And she even says I have good legs! I'm jealous you can wear one. Go for it.

I'm of Scottish descent as well and have often thought about getting a kilt and accoutrement's, but the DW doesn't care for the idea. And she even says I have good legs! I'm jealous you can wear one. Go for it.

I just found out that I was of Scottish descent. I am renting the kilt for this trip but have already started to buy all the parts of the outfit. As it is on my mothers side I am having trouble pinning down the correct tartan so I am wearing the Dark Watch for this one.

My DW was against it at first until she saw me in it. Now she says it looks better then a tux.

Good Luck...

Go for it! I always wear mine. I have only ever had one problem, when my Sgian Dubh was confiscated and returned to me after the cruise. I now take a replica!

Enjoy your cruise!

I just found out that I was of Scottish descent. I am renting the kilt for this trip but have already started to buy all the parts of the outfit. As it is on my mothers side I am having trouble pinning down the correct tartan so I am wearing the Dark Watch for this one.

My DW was against it at first until she saw me in it. Now she says it looks better then a tux.

Good Luck...

Dark Watch? Fair enough, I'm sure that exists, there are so many tartans now, but I think you might possibly mean the Black Watch. Nice colours. Military tartan belonging to my local regiment, their traditional HQ is a mile or so from where I sit here in Perth, Scotland. Bit naughty wearing it if you have no association with the regiment, but if you promise to drink too much and say "St Johnstone for the Cup" (local soccer team) you will be forgiven. The Black Watch have some vacancies at the moment, not long back from you-know-where..... Enjoy - you will have several hundred years of pretty distinguished military history round your waist - they are arguably Scotland's most distinguished regiment in fact. Whisky drinking at some point will be required as a matter of honour..........

Apologies if the Dark Watch is some terribly well known US tartan relating to the 5th Pennsylvania Signals Corps that did something terribly brave at Gettysburg or something!!

Dark Watch? Fair enough, I'm sure that exists, there are so many tartans now, but I think you might possibly mean the Black Watch. Nice colours. Military tartan belonging to my local regiment, their traditional HQ is a mile or so from where I sit here in Perth, Scotland. Bit naughty wearing it if you have no association with the regiment, but if you promise to drink too much and say "St Johnstone for the Cup" (local soccer team) you will be forgiven. The Black Watch have some vacancies at the moment, not long back from you-know-where..... Enjoy - you will have several hundred years of pretty distinguished military history round your waist - they are arguably Scotland's most distinguished regiment in fact. Whisky drinking at some point will be required as a matter of honour..........

Apologies if the Dark Watch is some terribly well known US tartan relating to the 5th Pennsylvania Signals Corps that did something terribly brave at Gettysburg or something!!

The Apologies are all mine..I misspoke...It is the Black Watch Tartan. You must excuse my newly discovered roots. I just found out a week ago that I am of Scottish decsent. I did extensive research on the tartan and chose it for it's use in the Highlands in the 1670's. The last thing I want is to offend any of the brave men that have worn those colors. As I am renting the kilt my choices of tratans was limited. But I think I can follow the guidelines that you have set down and will do the tartan proud. Thanks for your understanding...

Archived