Crown Santuary - The Ultimate Chair Hogs?

mrsbojamp

Last summer, I cruised on the Crown and really enjoyed the Santuary, even though I had to pay $15 for 1/2 a day. I've now booked the Crown again for next February and decided to search the boards for the latest info to see if they were still charging. I've been reading that the fee has gone to $10, but apparently there's a line at 7:30 in the morning to buy the chairs for the day, and then typically, no one is in the sanctuary!!! These great, comfortable chairs sit vacant all day because someone has paid $10 to claim it as their own. The don't even need to save it with a cheap romantic novel!!!!

I am planning on using the Sanctuary when I cruise. Can you tell me more about it? Are you able to reserve the day before or by phone? What are the hours in the A.M & P.M.? Do they allow people to reserve for a whole day,(hope not), !

These great, comfortable chairs sit vacant all day because someone has paid $10 to claim it as their own. The don't even need to save it with a cheap romantic novel!!!!

I guess that's part of what you buy. Sounds interesting except for the lining up part.

I am planning on using the Sanctuary when I cruise. Can you tell me more about it? Are you able to reserve the day before or by phone? What are the hours in the A.M & P.M.? Do they allow people to reserve for a whole day,(hope not), !

When I went, you paid at the entrance; you could not reserve it ahead of time. I believe the hours were 8:30 to 12:30 and 12:30 to 4:30, but I'm not positive. I do recall that my friends and I were very relaxed in the sun, when the attendant came up to us and gently reminded us that our time was up. I read on this board that they now are "renting" for the whole day on port days.

I would not call it chair hogging as they are paying for the right to use that lounger chair. Whether they use it or not is up to them.

I agree, they have paid for it. However, it remains that the choice seats are unused, yet unavailable for those that may want to use them at that time. Maybe they could develop a system for sub-letting the chairs!

I just came back from the Crown and I can confirm this. I wasn't able to get into the Sanctuary as it was always full. The only way to avoid this was to get there at least one half hour early (this came from the people who staff it).

Of course you could be fortunate and show up later, but if it is something that you want for sure for the day, go early.

We were on The Crown in Feb.

Personally, I don't think it is worth the hassel to try to get into The Sanctuary.

Sure the chaises are nice, you have a smaller crowd...in fact half the time it was very empty. People had bought the day and would come and go....mostly go it seemed.

You can get waited on but if the ship is not moving..you had better like the heat !

For us the inside was way too warm. Think canvas tent and no air movement. We checked it out on the first day tour and decided it would be too hot for us.

Do you really want to drag yourself out of bed early, stand in line to buy a place on deck ?

My answer would be no, at least for us. We enjoyed The Thermal Suite much more.

In my mind only, this area has created more controversy than it is worth. A pseudo-exclusive area that you are made to feel lucky you got in ?

There are so many places out on deck to sit and waiters to bring you drinks or bars very close.

Yes, they have bought the whole day and can not use it. It is their right but in my mind it is rather selfish to do so.

It was rather sad to see the area so empty and people turned away because it was "sold out ".

I have a hunch that this area will be re-done some day for a better use.

The Sanctuary is a beautiful area located in the forward area of the ship above the Spa. It is gated off, so you can't just stumble through it. The lounge chairs have ultra plush cushions and they have attendants that can bring you ice water with lemons, or a chilled damp towel for your neck, or an mp3 player, etc. There is also a special menu that you can order from, for a small fee. It is very serene. There are also private tents set up for massages. Most of the area is covered with a canvas-like tarp, but there are some areas where you can get full sun.

We were on The Crown in Feb.

Personally, I don't think it is worth the hassel to try to get into The Sanctuary.

Sure the chaises are nice, you have a smaller crowd...in fact half the time it was very empty. People had bought the day and would come and go....mostly go it seemed.

You can get waited on but if the ship is not moving..you had better like the heat !

For us the inside was way too warm. Think canvas tent and no air movement. We checked it out on the first day tour and decided it would be too hot for us.

Do you really want to drag yourself out of bed early, stand in line to buy a place on deck ?

My answer would be no, at least for us. We enjoyed The Thermal Suite much more.

In my mind only, this area has created more controversy than it is worth. A pseudo-exclusive area that you are made to feel lucky you got in ?

There are so many places out on deck to sit and waiters to bring you drinks or bars very close.

Yes, they have bought the whole day and can not use it. It is their right but in my mind it is rather selfish to do so.

It was rather sad to see the area so empty and people turned away because it was "sold out ".

I have a hunch that this area will be re-done some day for a better use.

It is very sad about all the hub-bub this area has created. At first, it was a free area, but on the inaugural cruise, fist fights broke out over it. That's how the $15 charge started.

When we cruised out of New York last summer, I did not find the area to be anymore hot than any other area of the ship. We were sun worshipers, however, and chose to sit in the limited area where you can get sun. Maybe on full Caribbean cruises it is hotter there.

It probably will be re-done sometime, I just wish they could create a true adult only area where those rules are enforced. This seemed to be the only area where that held true. You couldn't get into most of the hot tubs for all the kids and teens that took them over.

Archived