Money in Jamaica and Grand Cayman

Thanks! I did google it and here's what I came up with.

1 US Dollar = 67.64000 Jamaican Dollar

1 Jamaican Dollar (JMD) = 0.01478 US Dollar (USD)

1 US Dollar = 0.83333 Cayman Islands Dollar

1 Cayman Islands Dollar (KYD) = 1.20000 US Dollar (USD)

Next questions do the most places on the islands list the prices in US dollars? And will they give you US or their money back as change? If they give you US money can you ask for their money, or should you go to a bank to get their money? I would like to take a small amount of each islands currency back as souvenires. Thanks!

I think ALL caribbean ports give you prices in US dollars. I cant imagine why you would go thru changing to another currency?? A few places list both prices, local and US.

I just pay in US dollars, never been a problem. You would probably lose more paying the premium to find a place to exchange the currency than you could possibly save. imo.

At retail shops, I always pay in plastic. The visa/mastercard company does the exchange rate for you. I don't carry alot of cash with me when I travel. BTW, hang on to your purse if you do, esp. in some of the poorer islands.

I never had a problem with locals taking US dollars. They will always give you the local currency as change, esp. if you request it.

Archived