Poop deck? (literally!)

Dear Mike

Thank you Nurse Ratched

Sincerely,

Randal McMurphy

HMMMM ... Wikipedia sez:

"A cold, sadistic tyrant obsessed with her own power, Nurse Ratched has become synonymous with the stereotype of the nurse as a "battleaxe." She has also become a popular metaphor for the corrupting influence of power and authority in bureaucracies such as the mental institution in which the novel is set."

Nope, that's not it. Grinch, yes. Frank Burns, yes. Scrooge, yes. Unbeliever and cynic, yes. But power and authority of bureaucracy ... well, no, that's not it. My post was more about taking advantage of bureaucracy and using the rules to one's own ends. Catch 22, maybe?

>:-)

There is apparently a "new" definition of service dogs as "necessary" for the emotional health of the owner.

Well, who knows, maybe there is something to it.

But it seems to me to open up a whole new way for wealthy neurotic females to bully their doctor into signing a statement that they need little Fluffy for their "emotional" health ...

Color me the Grinch.

Somewhat OT, but locally we had a incident where a woman in subsidized housing had a dog that was strictly against the rules. The authority insisted she get rid of the dog. The woman got a doctor, a lawyer and a mental health advocate and now she is the only person (so far!) with a dog allowed in public housing. I'm not sure, but I think this "Fluffy" was pit bull.:rolleyes:

Oops, too late to edit my post. After research, I've found that Fluffy was just a Chihuahua. The authority had to go to court to defend the $300 security deposit they charged her for having a dog. That was also overturned because it seems if you need a dog for emotional reasons, you can't be charged a security deposit.

Back OT now. I'm just emotionally twisted enough to want my cats with me on my balcony. :rolleyes:

There was a thread on Celebrity a couple months back about a lady who had a small dog,I believe a Yorkie and it was for depression..........Frank

Are you kidding me? She needed a dog for depression while on a cruise?? :eek: Don't get me wrong. I see the need for any type of service dog to help a debilitating disease or condition but emotional disorders are taking it too far, IMO. Many people have depression and opening up that can of worms could just get downright nasty in a few years. Could you imagine all the "service" dogs in restaurants, vacation destinations and such if they are servicing an emotional disorder only. :rolleyes:

Archived