Unusual end to a cruise.

Grtcdnwolf

I am trying to find a different way to keep the cruise spirit alive AFTER we disembarked instead of rushing to catch a flight home. I am seriously looking at boarding the Amtrak on Christmas day and taking a leisurely 27 hour train ride home - not worrying about delayed flights and bad weather. Does anyone know if Carnival still offers discounts on Amtrak travel?

Also.... what unusual things have you done to preserved that "just cruised" inner glow that you lose just after your disembark?

I love taking the train, but dont think you will be avoiding delays. Since Amtrak doesnt own the rails, they always have to stop and wait for frieght trains to pass. As long as you arent in a rush, its a great way to see the country. I have been 10 hours late on some schedules.

I think the rail n cruise deal was discontinued last year or maybe 05.

i extended my vacation cruise in july 06 with a 4 day inland tour in denali park after my insidepassage cruise northbound.... it was great and we were on a train from denali to anchorage 8 hrs saw some beautiful scenery. also was able to see mt. mckinley in a clear view.... chattie patty

We normally sail out of Galveston which is only a 5 hour drive for us but on our last cruise on the Glory, we made a road trip out of it and drove to Port Canaveral. Yes, it was a lot of driving, but we had fun seeing the sights as we drove through the states to Florida. We even drove past the cruise ship terminal in Mobile. So to answer your question, we enjoyed a leisurely road trip home after our cruise. No, we did not drive straight through but spent the night in Baton Rouge and drove on in the next day. TG23

I don't think I'd rely on Amtrak for relaxing and no stress. A few years ago I thought it would be really cool to take a train trip and see the countryside of Virginia. My train out was almost 8 hours late :eek: arriving so it was after dark when I boarded. Most onboard were exceptionally cranky at this point and the cars and restrooms were filthy. While the scenery was beautiful on the way back a few days later, I was a little disappointed in the atmoshpere. I guess I was thinking relaxing and romantic. Most stations are no longer even manned except in big cities, there was no checked luggage service on my train (and no staff would help with bags at all - you had to be able to heave them overhead yourself), a snack bar with some microwaved burgers/pizza as the only food and the surliest staff I've ever seen. A smile and a thank you got you a snarl in return. And they constantly complained about how much working for Amtrak sucked. 27 hours sounds like torture to me - I'd rather fight the airports and possible delays there.

Make sure you reserve a compartment that includes the shower and toliet. We had just the one with seats that fold out and you had to go downstairs to shower, and down the hall for the bathroom. This was not a comfortable trip at all.

I think there is a problem sometimes with too much luggage, so you might check that too. It does beat flying if you aren't in a hurry to get home. Plan on your trip taking longer than expected.

Amtrak does not own the tracks, so the cargo trains take over and Amtrak goes on a sidetrack waiting.

We took the train from Florida to California on the way to a cruise to avoid flying.

I rode a measly 6 hours on Amtrak this past holiday season from Minneapolis to Grand Forks (didn't want to drive in a snow storm). It was crowded, loud (the constantly opening/closing of the car doors were incredibly loud), and long. It was impossible to get any sleep, though I did just have a regular seat. Perhaps it might be better if you have your own compartment. Personally, I'd save the money and put it toward the deposit for your next cruise!

Friends of ours, who live in Ithaca, NY now (Cornell University) took a train home to Chicago for Christmas the one year. They could not believe how horrible the experience was. It was crowded, they got in very late (6 hours overdue) and dreaded the return trip!

I have no personal experience and actually think your idea sounds kind of exciting, but I just thought I should share what they said, as they had such a terrible time.

My husband and I are extending our stay in Fort Lauderdale for two nights after we get off the ship, and took an extra day off from work once we get back home, to try to extend the vacation glow. ;)

I agree with the book another cruise so you have that to look forward to. We are in the planning process now and have declared March cruise month for us. It works out well being from VA as opur Winter is coming to an end and SPring will be here when we get back. It will soon be time for the Country Club to open the pools, and Summer will be here!

I took the Amtrak Auto Train from DC to FLorida one time. You load your car along with all of yoour luggage in the car and when you get to Florida, you still have all of your gas and no extra miles on the car. The plus about this train was there was a bar car, dining car with real meals and no stops in between. Long ride, but I did not have to drive to Florida alone and it was nice to see the scenery from the glass domed car.

When my BF and I got off the ship from our first cruise, we went to the airport to await our flight. AFTER we checked our bags, we were informed our flight would be delayed because of weather (Syracuse, NY in February). So we wound up renting a car and driving from Orlando to Syracuse! Got to see a little of the country, relive our beautiful vacation, and beat our luggage to the airport by 15 min.!! Our next cruise was booked within a week of our return! :)

My wife and I took the Coast Starlighter from Seattle to LA a few years ago. It was one of the most exhilerating and relaxing trips I've ever taken. The scenery was just beautiful.

Of course, the big difference was that we booked a sleeper cabin. The cabin steward would make the beds each night. All meals are included when getting a sleeper, plus there is a private lounge car when booking a sleeper.

I'd do it again in a heart beat.

Get on another ship. In December 2003, my wife and I went from England to NY on the QE2. Then we got on a plane at JFK and flew to San Diego and stayed at my mother's house overnight. Then my wife and my mother and I took the trian from San Diego to LA and got on a ship for Hawaii. We thought that the 6-day crossing on the QE2 was not enough so we added 15 days or so on the Hawaii leg of the trip.

We always cruise in January and to keep the feeling alive several times during Feb, March and April we move the living room furnation, bring in the lounge chairs, crank up the wood stove and sit around in our swim suits drinking foo foo drinks in our Carnival cups. They only problem we have is when we get our drinks first by the time we get to our chairs they have books or shoes on them so we have to wait for 1 hour till we move them and sit down.:)

I seldom drive long distances, and I hate to fly. Amtrak is a great alternative, but plan on being late a few to several hours reaching your destination. If you are retired, and in no hurry, Amtrak is a wonderful way to travel in a sleeper. If you travel coach on Amtrak during the night, there is no privacy.

If you pay for the sleeper, meals in the dining cars are free. I have traveled Amtrak on every long distance train, and its a wonderful way to see America. If you are traveling Amtrak to a wedding or something else, plan on getting there a day early. Being late isn't so frustrating if you are in no hurry.

We always cruise in January and to keep the feeling alive several times during Feb, March and April we move the living room furnation, bring in the lounge chairs, crank up the wood stove and sit around in our swim suits drinking foo foo drinks in our Carnival cups. They only problem we have is when we get our drinks first by the time we get to our chairs they have books or shoes on them so we have to wait for 1 hour till we move them and sit down.:)

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAA!

Archived