Must see, do, and eat in New Orleans day before cruise?

picwinwash

My DH and I are flying into NO the day before our 4-28 cruise on Grandeur of the Seas. We are wondering what not to miss and where we can get dinner Friday night. We are penny pinchers, but want to enjoy NO as much as we can. We are staying at the Fairfield Inn Kenner New Orleans Airport. We arrive around noon. Thanks for any suggestions!

French Quarter is the place to go to see New Orleans. For a great place to eat on a budget, try Mothers - "the" place to get an authentic po-boy sandwiches - oyster, shrimp, roast beef among others. . . Also you can't visit NO without a stop at Cafe Du Monde for Cafe Au Lait and Beignets

I agree with the above suggestion. Also, a really good place to eat in the French Quarter is 710 Bourbon Street. Great food. Not much of a place to look at but good food. We eat there and at Cafe DuMonde every time we go home.

I know the Canal and Riverfront Streetcars are running again, and I think the St. Charles is running on the business loop - but not the full route.

The overhead power lines were damaged by Katrina, so like everything else in NO, they are still in the process of rebuilding. . .

The fares for the streetcars are $1.25 each way. The Canal car goes from the French Quarter to the Museum of Art and the City park as well as a spur that takes you to NO's famous above ground cemeteries. The Riverfront streetcars follow the river around - very scenic and a great way to get from one side of the Quarter to the other.

I second Mother's! Make sure you get "debris" with your po-boy!

Also, you must thave a muffaletta at Central Grocery! Just get one becuase it's big enough for 2 people. Actually, 1/4 plus chips is enough for me! We love to eat at Deanie's. Large portions, but go at lunch for a cheaper price since you are a self proclaimed penny pincher. Make sure you go to Jackson Square too to see local artists.

Before Katrina, we loved taking the ferry over to Algiers to Mardi Gras World to see the parade floats. I'm not sure of it's status anymore though.

I second Mother's! Make sure you get "debris" with your po-boy!

Also, you must thave a muffaletta at Central Grocery! Just get one becuase it's big enough for 2 people. Actually, 1/4 plus chips is enough for me! We love to eat at Deanie's. Large portions, but go at lunch for a cheaper price since you are a self proclaimed penny pincher. Make sure you go to Jackson Square too to see local artists.

Before Katrina, we loved taking the ferry over to Algiers to Mardi Gras World to see the parade floats. I'm not sure of it's status anymore though.

What's a muffaletta? Sounds very interesting, especially since me & my DH love to share plates. Also where is Central Grocery and Deanie's? We are staying by the airport, guess we should get a cab to downtown but not quite sure where to tell him to take us!!

What's a muffaletta? Sounds very interesting, especially since me & my DH love to share plates. Also where is Central Grocery and Deanie's? We are staying by the airport, guess we should get a cab to downtown but not quite sure where to tell him to take us!!

A muffaletta is a fabulous sandwich that was created at Central Grocery which is located on Decatur Street, just down from Jackson Square near the French Quarter. If you get a cab, just tell them to take you to Jackson Square. The sandwich is picture below and has ham, salami, provolone cheese and of course, the infamous olive salad on round, Italian bread.

7894.jpg

Deanie's Seafood is located right off Bourbon St on the corner of Dauphine and Iberville Street. Great seafood!

French Quarter is the place to go to see New Orleans. For a great place to eat on a budget, try Mothers - "the" place to get an authentic po-boy sandwiches - oyster, shrimp, roast beef among others. . . Also you can't visit NO without a stop at Cafe Du Monde for Cafe Au Lait and Beignets

Just how cheap is this place? I was told about this really good inexpensive place to eat in Miami, that cost my family of 3 $75 for cheeseburgers and spegetti!! So what did you eat and how much was it??

Just how cheap is this place? I was told about this really good inexpensive place to eat in Miami, that cost my family of 3 $75 for cheeseburgers and spegetti!! So what did you eat and how much was it??

I had the Fergi Special with a bag of chips and drink - it was around $11. You can see their menu and prices here:

http://www.mothersrestaurant.net/menu.htm

Enjoy Nawlins!

Archived