Legal in the States...Marriage ..HELP!

BKHwedding2007

I got it now..... and thank you.

I just wonder if people know that. It seems like a number of people get married while on cruises and vacations and may not know this.

I have only heard of it being a problem in Texas and New York so far.

You are right though, the bottom line is, if you are looking at getting married out of state, check with your local authorities. Forget what Aunt Tillie told ya.

I have only heard of it being a problem in Texas and New York so far.

You are right though, the bottom line is, if you are looking at getting married out of state, check with your local authorities. Forget what Aunt Tillie told ya.

So Duckie - I guess that means that our drunken Cayman nuptials are null and void?

:D

Yeah 'cause we never got around to consumating them. :(
The wedding coordinator never told me about that!! Would we have had to consumate in GC, Canada or Minn-E-soooda in order for it to be legal? :confused: Or maybe Texas (embark port)?

The wedding coordinator never told me about that!! Would we have had to consumate in GC, Canada or Minn-E-soooda in order for it to be legal? :confused: Or maybe Texas (embark port)?

I vote for all three, busy this weekend?

Hey There Lora!

I don't envy your situation. My lovely wife had a rough time with all the coordinating. Lots of days spent in frustration. So many different points of information and a lot of times we'd get conflicting information.

To top that off, we made our first attempt at planning the wedding through Carnival. That was a mistake but our money was refunded and we did it directly.

Some people might think that is our problem but I assure you it isn't. The wedding department at Carnival is simply lacking. But it really depends; we had a huge party and wanted to outline details early and have plans. If you are in a situation where you can just 'go-with-the-flow' maybe Carnival is the right fit for you. I intend to write a long and detailed review of our entire experience soon which would explain better what I mean.

In either case, planning and coordinating all this information; and a party of 30 passengers was a lot of work. BUT, all completely worth it. It was simply awesome!

This paperwork mess is a small detail in the grand scheme of things.

If you have any questions that we can help with from our experience just yell. Since a wedding is a one time thing you don't get the luxury of knowing how to do it better 'next' time. =)

Anyway, what I gather is anyone considering a foreign marriage of 'any' kind should call their local county clerk and ask what the local laws are in their specific area. That will ultimately be the final word; everything else is simply speculation.

Oh my...I don't even want to start on the whole Carnival/TWE wedding planners topic! :D In short, I'll say that I requested a refund from them last Friday and went with a private planner as well. The planner I have now is wonderful in every sense of the word. She replies to my questions in a timely manner, thinks of things I didn't even think of (which doesn't happen often! lol) and seems very enthusiastic about helping us have the wedding of our dreams.

Just curious. How long did it take to get your refund back from Carnival? I know they were really quick to charge my card, but we all know how it is trying to get a refund! :)

I agree with you 100%. Do your homework and do it well!

I'm so glad that everything went well in the end for you and your wife. I'll be looking for your review and there had better be pictures! I love seeing the picturs and can't wait to be able to post my own! :)

Hey there, We just wanted to let you know that we received our wedding ceremony money pretty fast. That is the ONLY thing the wedding department did that was great for us. I hope you're able to get yours back in a timely manner as well.We should have a website up by Friday, we'll make sure to post pics.....Good luck with your wedding too....~Kimberly

My husband and I married in Cozumel and our marriage was legal here in the State of Texas . Maybe from state to state it is different. We have been married 8 years no problems yet : ) other then the fight over the trash going out now and then LOL

I had to send my marriage cert. to SS to change my name and to his insurrance co to get me on the policy and to then again to get my DL name changed . It was legal we asked before we got there and then had no trouble when we got home.

My daughter was getting married on St Lucia and we again asked here and then the wedding planner down there and were told that it was all legal no problems. Our friends then took a vacation down there and didnt tell any of us they were getting married while there but kept asking a ton of questions about what we had found out . You had to be there 7 days prior to marriage , they took a 2 week vacation and came back and said GUESS WHAT WE DID LOL

I would think it is legal due to my past and present expierence . No one I know who married out of the country that lives here in Texas has had a problem . But most of the people I know who married outside the country did it in Mexico

My husband and I married in Cozumel and our marriage was legal here in the State of Texas . Maybe from state to state it is different. We have been married 8 years no problems yet : ) other then the fight over the trash going out now and then LOL

I had to send my marriage cert. to SS to change my name and to his insurrance co to get me on the policy and to then again to get my DL name changed . It was legal we asked before we got there and then had no trouble when we got home.

My daughter was getting married on St Lucia and we again asked here and then the wedding planner down there and were told that it was all legal no problems. Our friends then took a vacation down there and didnt tell any of us they were getting married while there but kept asking a ton of questions about what we had found out . You had to be there 7 days prior to marriage , they took a 2 week vacation and came back and said GUESS WHAT WE DID LOL

I would think it is legal due to my past and present expierence . No one I know who married out of the country that lives here in Texas has had a problem . But most of the people I know who married outside the country did it in Mexico

Based on the info I read yesterday on your own state governments website, an out of state/country marriage is legal as long as a Texas marriage license is obtained and signed by the official who performed the ceremony.

They must have some fascinating laws to deal with the wife is a Texas resident but the husband is a New Yorker and get married in Hawaii; the husband is a Texas resident the wife is a Brit and they get married in France; usw.

Well, Texas does like to claim to be "like a whole other country."

Texas does have, um, interesting laws! And, as a homegrown TXan, I can vouch that most of us do believe that TX is its own republic/country; doesn't our flag say it all? :p

Well, I know there won't be a next time for us, but I will make sure anyone that ask advice about it being legal.....they know they need to have the USA marriage certificate, and make sure the officiant signs it for them...so it is legal when they bring it back...I feel so very bad, I wish I would have had all of this information before actually going out....I had too many things going on planning the wedding, and trying to keep 29 people informed, I missed an important piece for my husband and I...Thanks for ALL the advice, and help on this one...you guys have been great...will post pics up by Friday....can't wait ;)

~Kimberly

• 3 months later...

I noticed that you said you got married on the beach in Grand Cayman. I was just wondering if you went through Carnvial's wedding planners to arrange this or did you use a planner on the island? We are going back on forth on whether to use Carnival's or an island planner...

If I found out tomorrow that my wedding license was invalid and DW and I weren't really married. I would take the first plane to Las Vegas .

I don't know where the hell my DW would go

BUT I WOULD BE GOING TO VEGAS :) :) *LOL*

This would have been a really good thing to check into before you got married out of the country. My daughter got married out of the country and I made sure that they check before they left to see if it would be legal in the states and if they would need to do anything to make it legal. Planning ahead can sometimes be very important.

The general principal in international comity is that a marriage that was legal where performed will be accepted as legal everywhere else (except maybe Texas!) unless it is against the law in the new place (think multiple wives or gay marriage, both of which are only recognized as legal in some places.)

When we got married in Canada, we had to wait 2 or 3 months to get the certified copy of our license. This ceritified copy could theoretically be useful to prove our married status to some employer, insurance company, social security, etc. But since we live in a state that does not (yet) recognize same-sex marriages, it's mostly just a pretty piece of paper.

"What happens on Grand Cayman, Stays on Grand Cayman??

Seriously, congrats on tying the knot. Welcome to the club. Ignore the legalities. As someone earlier said, "You know when you got married"

Archived