Why Cruise With Kids

C&K 2007

I wonder why a family would want to cruise on Holland America line with kids, young ones under 3-5 I can understand as they are to small to know or remember anything anyways. With so many other lines sailing and geared to familys (no need to list them) I question why a family would decide on this line. Its no wonder kids are running wild on board Ive looked over the ships and to be honest if I was a kid I think I would be bored after the first day. A family vacation is just that a family, meaning everyone not just mom and dad, I have sailed with my two daughters and the cruise line we picked had more then enough activities to keep all of us busy with out being a problem to other passengers. I would love to hear from some familys as to their reason for sailing on HAL.

I think I am experiencing Deja Vu.

We chose HAL because we are going on a cruise with my FIL and MIL (in their 70s), my BIL and SIL and my wife and I (mid 40s and up) plus my 9 yr old daughter.

Because of limited choices of itineraries we could only chose between Carnival, RCCI and HAL.

We all wanted something a little more upscale and we wanted to avoid floating malls and the craziness that can ensue given the peak time we are going.

There are going to be 400 kids on this cruise and I am sure my daughter will have what to do on board. We are also going on shore excursions on 3 of the 4 ports and we will do just sun and sand at HMC.

My daughter grew up sailing on HAL and other cruise lines. The novelty of the gimicks on the other cruise lines quickly wears off . Despite what some of the other cruise lines want potential cruisers to believe, family cruising is about being together as a family, not ditching the kids and letting them wander by themselves, because they got bored with the gimicks and parents want a vacation from parenting.

Because kids love cruises (mine have been on 7, and they prefer Celebrity), and their parents love cruiselines that are not loud, glitzy, floating amusement parks. My kids don't really use the kids clubs other than to make new friends, they spend sea days playing ping-pong, shuffleboard, cards, chess, listening to music, reading, going to the shows, eating, swimming or just hanging out with new friends. HAL has all of that. We haven't tried them yet, but are planning to cruise with them in 2008. Our good friends are taking their second family cruise with HAL and they loved it. They would have hated the cruiselines that I'm guessing you're referring to.

Cruiselines like Celebrity and HAL offer a happy medium. They're upscale enough to pacify the adults yet cater to kids so that there will be lots of them onboard to keep each other company. Truth be told, I'd love to cruise with my family on Seabourn or WindStar, but I think the kids would be awfully lonely.

And a family vacation is any vacation where the family is all together, be it a cruise, a rented beach house or a trip to the Grand Canyon or Europe.

for C&K, what do you suggest for families who like to cruise, that they go on cruiselines that the parents cannot abide simply because they are more geared to families?

My kids had just as much fun on Celebrity as they did on Disney and RCL, I however, preferred Celebrity much more, and the parents are the ones who are paying, so we might as well go where we want!

My nieces and nephews have cruised twice now with HAL, they cannot say enough good about Club HAL. With fewer kids onboard as some of the other cruise lines, they enjoyed the smaller groups and the more individualized attention they received from the counsellors on board, who were spectacular.

They are growing up now and will some day make their own decisions as to which cruise line to sail, but at least we'll know they did start with a fine cruise line to base their future comparisons on.

My family and I are booked on our first HAL cruise this summer. My 14 yr. old is really looking forward to it. My DH and I are not big "Party" people. so I am hoping that HAL is just the line for us. I truly hope that we don't find people who wish that we hadn't brought our daughter along.

Jackie

My DH and I cruise with our children too. We love HAL because of the excellence in the service and the upscale luxury of the ships. Our daughters don't really like the kids club too much because they can't be in the same age group.......they are a little shy. But they do enjoy the swimming pool, the elegant food (not kids meals), shows and enjoying the scenery while reading a good book. Perhaps our children are not like most children, but they do appreciate the excellence that HAL provides in a cruise.

We sailed to Alaska on HAL in 2005, and the girls asked to go back to Alaska on HAL again this year. We're not into the so called "party boats", but we enjoy a great cruise vacation. We also don't mind having the kids hang out with us either. My DH works long hours every day, so we cherish the time we spend together as a family.

We prefer cruising on HAL with our young children as the guests tend to be more "refined". I really don't need my son observing the smoking, excessing drinking, puking, and jumping half-clothed into the pool that is more apt to happen on other cruiselines. (And I don't want to see it either.)

We keep our kids in control, so we don't want to be on the ships where there are hundreds of out of control kids. We like the service. We like the food. Heck, my son loves the escargot onboard. And, you can't beat the wonderful attention from the crew on HAL. They love kids since they don't see so many of them.

Just because we have kids, doesn't mean we don't have taste.

I wonder why a family would want to cruise on Holland America line with kids, young ones under 3-5 I can understand as they are to small to know or remember anything anyways. With so many other lines sailing and geared to familys (no need to list them) I question why a family would decide on this line. Its no wonder kids are running wild on board Ive looked over the ships and to be honest if I was a kid I think I would be bored after the first day. A family vacation is just that a family, meaning everyone not just mom and dad, I have sailed with my two daughters and the cruise line we picked had more then enough activities to keep all of us busy with out being a problem to other passengers. I would love to hear from some familys as to their reason for sailing on HAL.

Cost in some cases. HAL can't compete with some of those other lines in terms of ammenities, so I have a feeling they really undercut them in price ... lots of special deals ... kids sail free in parents' cabin, etc. Sometimes money has to be the governing factor. It's either cruise a HAL ship, or the kids don't cruise. Frequently, the appeal of the beach type ports will make up for the lack of kid-friendly ammenities onboard. And, let's face it ... on a seven-day cruise with maybe four ports, does it really matter that much that the kids don't have a rock climbing wall?

Just as a sidenote, I have a friend who is taking an 11-day RCI cruise over the Thanksgiving break. She is bringing her entire brood. If I am not mistaken, she told me that the cabins are costing her close to ten grand. I guess they must be premium priced because of school being out. Well, that's a lot of cash and some families just can't afford it. I don't think RCI is cheap and with all they have onboard for the kids, they really don't have to be.

Blue skies ...

--rita

My kids had just as much fun on Celebrity as they did on Disney and RCL, I however, preferred Celebrity much more, and the parents are the ones who are paying, so we might as well go where we want!

Good point, and that's probably how a lot of families feel. If grandma and grandpa are taking the grandkids on a cruise, you'd better believe the line of choice will be what they prefer ... not necessarily what the kids prefer.

The only problem with that, though, is if the kids are gonna be miserable, then why not just leave them at home and just have the parents' sail? If you're gonna bring the kids, don't you think sometimes it's a good idea to gear the vacation toward their desires?

Blue skies ...

--rita

I am truely blissed, I have not one but 2 princesses! Who are now 19 and 16. During the last 19 years all vacations have been geared around them and for them. Disneyland, Disneyworld, Yellowstone National Park, Seaworld, MGM & Universal studios, beaches, camping, etc. Now that they don't really want to hung out w/Mom & Dad, it's time for us again. YAHOO!

When I decided on a cruise it was done without any knowledge to what I was doing. I saw a cruise advertized on line, called my sis up said I wanted to do a cruise on August 26 to Alaska (cuz that's were my DH wants to go) she said sure. Next day, I called her, said I got some cruise travel books so we can decide. She informed there was no deciding. She had gone into work and requested those days off so we're sticking with the one I called her about.

Lucky for us, it's HAL's Noordam. I felt that someone must have been looking out for me to randomily pick a cruise that wasn't greared towards children. Everything I had read about HAL after we booked the cruise, said it was for the older crowd. I thought how much luckier can I get. I get my first vacation (and honeymoon cuz we couldn't afford it when we got married) away from the my princesses and with other adults. Then I read more and found out that HAL's trying to gear themselves towards families now.

When I chose vacations w/our girls I made sure it was doing kids stuff w/other family and kids. I didn't foster my kids off at clubs and activities while we went elsewhere. So when I hear on other threads that "kids are running amook (sp?)" on the Noordam (over President's Day) I get nervouse. I only hope that "adult only" area's are respected just like I will respect the kid's only areas.

I really wanted the Titanic experience with out the sinking. If I wanted the family/kids cruise I would have booked Disney.

This is such a strange question to me.It insinuates that the only vacation a family should take MUST involve water rides and men in mouse costumes...We show our 6 year old the world..there is nothing off limits to him...boredom is never even a factor...how can he be bored looking at ancient Roman ruins...London Bridge...a rain forest..swimming with sea turtles...the world is his oyster and he will be all the better for it...

But most kids will find things to do when given a chance to use their imaginations. We don't overstimulate our kids so they enjoy quiet time - reading, and simply talking to me about everything under the sun. When we were kids we could spend hours playing with a box - we didn't need to live in an amusement park.

I

If I wanted the family/kids cruise I would have booked Disney.

With very few exceptions, most cruise lines are positioning themselves to appeal to family cruisers. In fact, Regent cruises is currently offering a kids sail free promotion. They are going to do whatever it takes to fill the ships, so many ships.

HAL has been doing this for years. I always laugh when I hear reference to HAL being a variation of a floating nursing home and can only assume that the speaker has never sailed HAL during school breaks or perhaps has never sailed HAL.

Those who prefer to reduce the liklihood of sailing with school-aged children might consider booking during the school year and/or sailing those cruise lines that are not actively promoting themselves to family cruising, Oceania, Seabourn, Silversea and Windstar. That these cruises tend to cost substantially more than mass marketed cruise lines is the cost of luxury and appealing to adults rather than multi-generational families.

The only problem with that, though, is if the kids are gonna be miserable, then why not just leave them at home and just have the parents' sail? If you're gonna bring the kids, don't you think sometimes it's a good idea to gear the vacation toward their desires?

Blue skies ...--rita

Rita, this assumes that all kids need to be entertained by gimicks to be happy and this is just not the case. The greater the gimick, the greater the liklihood the kid will be bored. Many, many children prefer arts/crafts, board games, creative activities, dressing up and making a few freinds to the gimicks offered on some cruise lines.

In this way, they are a lot like adults.

Just a thought to add to this discussion. In the last few months how many Children (Under 18) have fallen over board? Just something to ponder!

Children, like adults, do not "fall" overboard. I am not aware of any children, anywhere, that have gone overboard. Was this your point or do you have information unavailable to the general public?

None. Was that your point?

Just that sometimes it is not that kids that can ruin a cruise. My last cruise I had to stand next to a disgusting drunk during the muster drill. He had not idea of all what he was doing. Bumping into everyone, cussing and just being rude. I would much better be around a few kids than adults who think that once the boat pulls away from the dock that anything goes. Seems that when they have that attitude, they end up floating in the water.

As for taking my child with me. Since I am paying a fare for her, and HAL will gladly take my money, then the decision is all mine.

The greater the gimick, the greater the liklihood the kid will be bored. Many, many children prefer arts/crafts, board games, creative activities, dressing up and making a few freinds to the gimicks offered on some cruise lines.

In this way, they are a lot like adults.

Those gimmicks cost extra too.

(the Video Games, Rock Climbing Walls, Bungee Trampoline, Ice Skating, Roller Blading & Onboard Surfing are anything but Free...)

--rita

Cruises ARE their desire. I don't understand...who says kids are miserable on cruises? It's my kids FAVORITE vacation. Given the choice of Disney, a national park, a beach cottage, Europe or a caribbean cruise, my kids always have and always will choose the cruise.

In fact, they like cruises better than we do. We'd probably just do land vacations to Europe, but the kids just love cruising.

P.S. Just "Leaving kids at home" is not an option for most people. Who are we supposed to be leaving them home with? Are you volunteering? ;)

Our first cruise in 1999 was HAL Westerdam RT Alaska with FIL, MIL, SIL, 16 year old nephew, DH and my 3 kids (ages 13, 10 and 7 at the time). This was a trip my in laws wanted to take and as a family trip it couldn't have been more perfect! There was something for everyone. My 7 year old daughter was the only one who was into club HAL (and still has her Club HAL tie died tee shirt and lots of wonderful memories). My boys and their cousin LOVED all the food and spent lots of time in the pool, on the tennis court or in the movie theater (in addition to doing a few of the Club HAL scavenger hunts and games). They met other kids and were able to order room service (something they had never done before). My 10 year old still talks about his first taste of caviar and escargot(with a hot dog as his entre!!).

The grandparents got to spend time with their grandkids (we live 2000 miles apart), their 2 children and their favorite DIL:D. Yet it was a sophisticated atmosphere that they (and we 40 somethings) could appreciate too. MY FIL died in 2005 and I look back on that trip with all of us together and am grateful.

The grandparents got to spend time with their grandkids (we live 2000 miles apart), their 2 children and their favorite DIL:D. Yet it was a sophisticated atmosphere that they (and we 40 somethings) could appreciate too. MY FIL died in 2005 and I look back on that trip with all of us together and am grateful.

It does not get much better than this, now does it. Family cruising is about making memories, not the gimicks.

I started cruising in the 70's when I was 10. There were no gimmicks, no kids programs, no kids activities, nothing on a cruise ship was "geared" towards kids. These were the best family vacations and the best memories I have of my childhood.

My sister and I would spend a lot of time with our parents and each other. There might be a handful of other kids on the cruise, but generally it was our special family time.

Now that I am grown up I value our family time together and don't look for gimmicks.... I can rock climb, roller blade, mini golf, and Ice Skate any time I want with my kids with-out leaving town. Sometimes, the kids choose to participate in the kids activities when they want to. They love some of the activities, but we always eat together,and usually spend our evenings together enjoying the entertainment, or playing family games together. Most of all, the kids love being able to spend relaxing time with Mom and Dad with-out Dad having to cook dinner, or Mom do the dishes afterwards, or Mom having to spend time cleaning the house or them having to clean their room.... we just get to relax and ejoy our quality time together.

We all have such busy schedules with our work schedules, school, dance lessons, cheerleading, football, baseball and other activities, it is so nice to get away from our crazy schedule and just have quality time together, no gimmicks required.

Why not take them on HAL? What's so wrong with that?

BTW, the families I have seen on HAL look like they're having a fantastic time. I saw teenagers enjoying themselves as much as the rest of the passengers. Just because people cruise with kids they shouldn't feel they have to be relegated to other cruise lines.

If I had kids, I'd take them on HAL. Why? Because I want them to have that experience. The more experiences you can give people, the more well-rounded they become. I think there's MORE than enough to do on a HAL ship, and to say you've looked at pictures or deckplans and come up with the assessment that kids will get bored is jumping the gun a little bit.

Archived