Avalon Waterways

Liebo

Interested in any information about Avalon Waterways...especially anything anectdotal. We're planning a river cruise/s in the second half of this year and would like to know anything and everything about Avalon.

Hi Liebo and welcome to the River Cruises forum. You will find a lot of useful information here.

I would suggest that you first utilize the "Search this forum" function that you will find in a tab at the top above the list of messages. If you put in "Avalon" you should find dozens upon dozens of messages telling all about the ships and itineraries of Avalon.

Rest easy as it is hard to find a BAD river cruise in Europe. They differ slightly in amenities and the age of the ships as well as towns visited so you will have much from which to choose. I have not sailed on an Avalon ship but from everything that I have read they are quite highly regarded.

Clarence:)

We have done two cruises with Avalon. In the Fall of 2005 we were on the Artistry on the Legendary Danube cruise, and in the Fall of 2006 we cruised on the Tapestry from Basel to Amsterdam. Both trips were very enjoyable, and I have nothing but the highest praise for the ship, crew, tours etc. You cannot go wrong with Avalon.

If you have sepcific questions, you may contact me at pkutra@cox.net.

We have done two cruises with Avalon. In the Fall of 2005 we were on the Artistry on the Legendary Danube cruise, and in the Fall of 2006 we cruised on the Tapestry from Basel to Amsterdam. Both trips were very enjoyable, and I have nothing but the highest praise for the ship, crew, tours etc. You cannot go wrong with Avalon.

If you have specific questions, you may contact me at pkutra@cox.net.

We'll probably send you an email this weekend, VA Guy. We've just booked the Avalon Poetry for a Dutch tulip cruise on April 15th. Liebo, look for our review in late April or early May.

We're doing Amsterdam-Basel, April 28, based on reviews and recommendations. Avalon's reviews I've seen have all been positive. We're wrapping it with time in Brussels, Zurich and Berlin.:)

We were on the Poetry last year, Budapest to Prague. You will love it. The crew was very friendly, and the food and wine great. The cabin was more than adequate, but we were really only there to sleep. Most of our time was spent on the Sun Deck or doing shore visits. It was our first river cruise and we can't wait to go again with Avalon.

Have been on the Avalon Tapestry and Uniworld River Empress. Even though we did enjoy our Avalon cruise very much, as I am sure you will, overall we preferred our Uniworld trip.

I still have lots of notes and info from the Avalon trip if you have any specific questions.

letsgo39,

Ah, I should have anticipated this question. It wasn't really any one thing, but a combination of little things. And, of course, someone else might feel differently, have a different experience depending on the specific ship and itinerary. Both ships were sparkling: the Uniworld River Empress was newly refurbished and the Avalon Tapestry is newer. The biggest thing for us was the food. We thought the food on Uniworld was much better--better variety/choices/cuisine. On Avalon, service at dinner was very rushed/impatient by some staff, unless we were able to get the section with our favorite waiter who got to know us. Most of the dining room was incredibly noisy, hard to hear conversation. We figured out the last night the quietest place to sit.

The cruise director on Avalon was, frankly, IMHO quite bad. The Uniworld cruise director was wonderful with helping everyone, being directly involved with everything and every detail. We felt overall the service and knowledge from the Uniworld staff was more efficient.

A few little things like: taking 5 days to replace a light bulb; a/c not cooling very well (thankfully we were able to open the door and get cool air) and not corrected; we thought the ice cream cart (have to purchase) at the entrance was kind of tacky-Uniworld seemed to have snacks available around the ship and always welcomed us back aboard and with some type of beverage.

There are lots of little things that I could mention but I don't think readers want to hear me nitpik. For us, they just added up in comparing the two. If we had not been on Uniworld first, then obviously would not have the comparison and some things may not have been noticed. But again, we would cruise with Avalon again, but if apples to apples cruise, we would probably choose Uniworld first.

Hi Heels and BigKahuna123,

We will be getting on the Tapestry as you are leaving. We are on the May 6th sailing from Basel to Amsterdam. Will be spending 2 days in Zurich pre-cruise. Sure wish I could read your comments before we leave, but we will just have to compare notes when I get back.

Have a great trip!

Have a great trip as well. We are going over a few days early to Amsterdam, then a couple of days after in Zurich, then fly to London for a few days. Amsterdam should be in FULL bloom of tulips when we are both there.:)

Can't wait. Will be here soon.

We're doing Amsterdam-Basel, April 28, based on reviews and recommendations. Avalon's reviews I've seen have all been positive. We're wrapping it with time in Brussels, Zurich and Berlin.:)

Hi Heels...just checking roll call for Avalon Tapestry 4/28 from Amsterdam...we'll be there and anxious for a great curise...Doug and Lynn from Hilton Head South Carolina.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We had a great tulip time cruise on the Poetry from 4/15 to 22, and have posted our review on the reviews section of the board. Heinje (Hendrik Dadema), the cruise director on our cruise, is a live wire, and it was fun to sail with him.

We had a great tulip time cruise on the Poetry from 4/15 to 22, and have posted our review on the reviews section of the board. Heinje (Hendrik Dadema), the cruise director on our cruise, is a live wire, and it was fun to sail with him.

Thanks for your informative and thorough review! Sounds like our upcoming voyage should be a great one, and I'll keep the sandwich idea in mind. :)

Thanks for your great review - it was wonderful taste of what is to come. We leave in under two weeks for Budapest and the Magnificent Europe cruise on the Avalon Tranquility.

I have a very petty question - does Avalon supply bathrobes, like some of the more upscale ocean going cruise lines do? If there are robes available, it would mean one more thing not to pack!

I, too, am trying to cut down on my luggage, and to go by the rule of half the clothes and twice the money.

Pat

Thanks for your great review - it was wonderful taste of what is to come. We leave in under two weeks for Budapest and the Magnificent Europe cruise on the Avalon Tranquility.

I have a very petty question - does Avalon supply bathrobes, like some of the more upscale ocean going cruise lines do? If there are robes available, it would mean one more thing not to pack!

I, too, am trying to cut down on my luggage, and to go by the rule of half the clothes and twice the money.

Pat

Yes, bathrobes are provided. If they weren't provided, you probably wouldn't have room for one anyway, and would need to use a tee shirt to go to the whirlpool.

One suitcase was really tough for me (Joe), tougher for Joan--and that was for one week! For two weeks, you may need to bite the bullet and spend some money on laundry. Once we each had our stuff laid out, we made sure that each suitcase had some of Joan's stuff and some of mine, so that we could cope if a suitcase got misplaced. One couple on the cruise did have misplaced luggage, which they received in the middle of the cruise.

One big space saver: no need for long dresses and men's suits for the ship, although you might want one of each for evenings ashore. (Our cruise had only one evening, the last, in port; but I think most cruises on Avalon have more than that.)

I'm going to give the "Travel Space Saver Bags" a whirl on this trip upon recommendations from others on another board I'm on. I'll let everyone know how those work. I'm hoping they'll help make space for our 2 week trip!

Thanks for the info on the bathrobes. I was wondering about that last night.

paterry--Guess we'll literally be ships passing in the night, as we're taking the same cruise in the opposite direction at the same time. :)

paterry--Guess we'll literally be ships passing in the night, as we're taking the same cruise in the opposite direction at the same time. :)

Check both itineraries. It would not be surprising to find that you'll be in the same place on one of the days; so you might get to see each other after all.

Archived