Formal Wear???

brneyemomma

Originally posted by 777mjrseb>

By your attitude and responses you clearly established what you are!

Aaaah!, that explains a lot...you haven't yet finished your education,,,so I guess you should be given special treatment. Does your supervision task include any policy matters?????

And by the way, your Crayon collection is incredible, COLOR me impressed.

I'm not going to argue with you no more I have said my peace... Have a great day and have a great cruise!!

I don't get it. For people that just "can't miss" the lobster and prime rib, and don't want to be "forced" to dress up to eat it... my first question is, have you actually ever had it in the dining room? A can't miss??? There is far better food on the cruise than the so called "lobster" and prime rib (which is typically overcooked, and they serve some horrible "sauce" with it rather than an au jus) I mean, it's "okay" but certainly not the "highlight" of the cruise. The NIGHT itself might be, simply because people are dressed so lovely and it's a great atmosphere... I tend to prefer the wonderful side dishes and soups served that night, which I find are much better than the L&PR... If you don't want to dress up, you aren't really missing much... unless you just don't get L&PR at home and you will take it any chance you get... that I can understand... if that's the case, throw on some nice clothes and enjoy!!! If you don't want to dress up, there is plenty of food on the ship... if you do want good lobster, try the supper club... it actually tastes like lobster should taste :)

For me the lobster/prime rib isn't a big deal. We eat out often and have the opportunity to eat either at most of the resturants we go to. I was quoting what so many people who do cruise often come back raving about. Maybe it's the idea that they can order several of the lobster tails and since there's no bill at the end of the meal it makes it special I'm not really sure. My concern with the formal nights has nothing to do with NOT wanting to dress in formal attire or the debate as to what is considered formal wear. For me it comes down to not being certain I want to pack formal wear for 4 of us. We are spending 3 nights in hotels pre-and post cruise. I plan on doing laundry on the ship to minimize the amount of luggage we will be hauling. I've explored the option of renting tuxes for my husband and my two sons 18 & 21 from Carnival direct. That would eliminate the issue of bringing formal wear. My husband does not like lobster and is a very plain eater. Thus more to contemplate as to wether or not it's worth making a trip to the dining room on those formal nights. Not a country bumpkin, not a rebel. not above following the rules, not cheap, plenty of class just wanted some additional information that would perhaps sway my final descion. :)

crazed: Maybe this will help in making your decision....It's a great opportunity to get a beautiful family portrait taken at several different backdrops with no obligation to buy. It makes a wonderful memory of your family cruise.

You know the year is 2007 and people no longer see formal as what it use to be in 1975,

Your right, Formal wear is much more elegant now with more lite silks and satins, in 1975 it was heavy taffeta and lace.

For the men, it is now darker color suits & tuxes, in 1975 they were more colorful blues & burgundys.

Although white never has gone out of style.

/derail

Cwuzcwazy, mind if I steal your siggy? That line deserves to be used more often.

/end derail

I guess I should say something about formal wear. Um...you don't need to be rich to be classy. My grandmother never had much money but she always looked nice and was, in my opinion, the classiest person I've ever met.

WOW!!! I just finished reading all of the posts. I can't remember what the original question was, but I do know this..I can't wait to wear my Versace overalls to dinner! (Kidding of course - Versace hasn't been worth the money since Donatella took over after Gianni's untimely death).

Sorry, just wanted to lighten the mood!:p

From my Carnival experience, you really won't see too many men in tuxes. Most women don't really dress what you would typically think of as formal either, so you will be fine and your husband will be fine in a sports coat, but he really should wear at least the sports coat and tie, if not a suit.

My DH wore a tux on our first Celebrity cruise and he looked great!! First and only time, but the memories are wonderful! Almost every man wore a tux on that ship. It's the idea of dressing up and feeling elegant for dinner -- something you don't do much at home (at least most of us don't!)

You will see just about everything on Carnival's formal nights, though...

I'm happy to see this thread. I was interpretting formal as tuxes or dark suit for man, and was worried about my husband since he does not have any and I'd have eat by myself in the dining room while he eats at the buffet. Thank you for a previous poster who posted the Carnival definition -- he can go eat at the dining room with the sports coat and dress pants. Yeah! Would we be mis-matched? Well, yes, but just because I have really dressy evening gowns (since I needed them for prior events) does not mean I'd force him to buy some tuxes to match. And it really does not matter to me; I figure people can just look at me. :D Would we pose for protraits? Probably, the way I figure it, since the guy usually stands behind the woman so long as I look good we'd be ok. :D

I'm happy to see this thread. I was interpretting formal as tuxes or dark suit for man, and was worried about my husband since he does not have any and I'd have eat by myself in the dining room while he eats at the buffet. Thank you for a previous poster who posted the Carnival definition -- he can go eat at the dining room with the sports coat and dress pants. Yeah! Would we be mis-matched? Well, yes, but just because I have really dressy evening gowns (since I needed them for prior events) does not mean I'd force him to buy some tuxes to match. And it really does not matter to me; I figure people can just look at me. :D Would we pose for protraits? Probably, the way I figure it, since the guy usually stands behind the woman so long as I look good we'd be ok. :D

You will see plenty of men in a sport coat and tie... you will see plenty in suits, and you will see plenty in tuxes. It's varied. Some cruises you may see more of one than the other. Most in our group usually either wear a suit or a tux, but most of them cruise often so have gotten their money out of it. A sport coat will be fine, and by all means get your picture taken!! The pictures are for YOU and the memories of your vacation, not a memory of what you wore ;) Go and have a great time!!!

So....Am I going to look complete out of place in a floor length formal dress (think sexy, not frumpy)? I was going to have my DH wear a tux, but after all of these posts, I am thinking we would be in the minority.

So....Am I going to look complete out of place in a floor length formal dress (think sexy, not frumpy)? I was going to have my DH wear a tux, but after all of these posts, I am thinking we would be in the minority.

Not to worry. Bring other people up to your level don't sink to theirs. ;)

On every last cruise I have been on there has been a good precentage of people who were formal, and for those who wern't black tie, a lot of those had on suits at the very least.

I know on our last cruise everyone at our table was in formal wear. (all the guys were in tuxes, and the women had either formal gowns or very nice dresses)

You will not feel out of place... I have worn everything from a nice cocktail dress to a floor length beaded gown... and never felt out of place. Our group of guys is usually in tuxes, suits, or kilts :D

You can't help it you know the definition of FORMAL :D:D

You will not feel out of place... I have worn everything from a nice cocktail dress to a floor length beaded gown... and never felt out of place. Our group of guys is usually in tuxes, suits, or kilts :D

You can't help it you know the definition of FORMAL :D:D

:p I do know the definition, I just wasn't sure I should still believe in it after what I have read!!!!! I am going to stick with the true meaning for formal because in "real" life, how often can you really feel that glamourous?:D

Thanks!!!

:p I do know the definition, I just wasn't sure I should still believe in it after what I have read!!!!! I am going to stick with the true meaning for formal because in "real" life, how often can you really feel that glamourous?:D

Thanks!!!

I think you misunderstood what I said.. I said "you can't help it that you know the definition"... so don't worry about what others are wearing, some truly don't know the definition :p

I think you misunderstood what I said.. I said "you can't help it that you know the definition"... so don't worry about what others are wearing, some truly don't know the definition :p

No I totally understood. I just did a poor job with my response! Forgive me, my eyes are blurry from all of my CC reading!

No I totally understood. I just did a poor job with my response! Forgive me, my eyes are blurry from all of my CC reading!

No problem :D Mine too... time for me to get off here for a little while :)

Have a great night!

No way, you will look fabulous, there will be many women in long gowns. Just my perception but i would guess 10% in fancy pant suits, 40% in long gowns, 40% in short cocktail dresses & 10% in sunday best or other.

For men i would guess 60% suits, 15% sport coat & tie, 10% tux, 10% slacks, dress shirt & tie, 5 % pants & shirt only.

Remember these are the observations i have seen on the cruises i have been on only.

Just my opinion, but I think people look so nice when they are dressed formally.

I realize not everyone is comfortable, but the smiles on people's faces when they feel good about how they look is really great! (Whether they like to admit it or not!)

Archived