Your perfect Martini

oldmovieguy

This post is prompted by another thread about martinis' on room service that I did not wish to 'hijack'

What can I expect when I order a martini on board? Let me qualify that. The very best martini that I was ever served was in a bar in New York in 1990. The driest gin and martini in a large chunky, fist sized tumbler with ice and green olive, I can taste it now. I have never been able to replicate that, no matter how hard I try and explain, I usually end up with a small, mimsy glass that does my street cred no good whatsoever, being a large strapping lad!

So, will my image be compramised by a mimsy glass, or will I get a martini I can wrap my meaty fist around and look rugged at the the bar!

Hi - if you order a martini in the Martini Bar on one of the M-Class ships it indeed does come in a "fist size tumbler" so its about 3 times more liquor than the traditional martini glass. They have a great selection of vodkas and gin, and most of the time you get multiple large olives as well. They're not cheap but then they are large. Of course, my favorite martini is the one I make myself in my room and drink on the balcony while watching the sea - that makes any martini a great martini!

Ah, a thread after my own heart! A true martini lover here. I love them the original way...WITH vermouth. None of that "wave the vermouth bottle near the glass to keep it dry" stuff for me. But, to each his own.

That being said, I have ordered several martinis on M class ships and the new Century, and they have always come in the classic "V" shaped martini glass. They are large, but they did not come in a tumbler.

Oldmovieguy, sounds like you prefer your martini "on the rocks." In that case, would imagine it does indeed come in a tumbler. But, remember to remind the bartender you want it on the rocks. Otherwise, I imagine it will be shaken and strained into a martini glass.

By the way, do you remember where in NYC you got this outstanding martini? I'd love to know. I'll go there and drink one in your honor. I've had a very nice one at Cipriani that was in a tumber. They keep them in a pitcher on ice!

We have always found the bartender in the martini bar very accomodating to any request of a specialized martini. They have even added martinis to the menu during our cruise that were special favorites.

Similar response to the above post - any martini on a ship is bound to be a good one!;)

Hey old movieguy, what ship and when are you travelling? Most ships now a days have specialized bars for martinis, just tell the server what you like, gin or vodka, how you want it mixed and what you want it delivered in. I have had some fantastic matinis on board and am looking forward to one on our sail away in Apr through the panama canal.

Cheers and calm seas

The perfect martini? – I prefer vodka instead of gin so here goes. Grey goose vodka up dirty. That’s vodka, no vermouth (too sweet), olive juice (1 tbls.) two olives (Vodka shaken with ice and then poured over the olives and olive juice in a large martini glass).

I agree with weareadams, the Bartenders will make it however you

prefer. Large glass, however many olives you want...or not want....

Gin, Vodka, whatever.......they are always at your service!

Of course being a purist, you are probably going to frown when

you see the "Martini Menu".;) But they are really good anyway:D

I guess the purist would call them cocktails, though they

are served in a Martini Glass and I love them, no matter what

they are called:D

jfrs, you almost have it perfect...ketel one, dirty, straight up with rock on the side. Had one earlier tonight and that is why I am having so much trouble typing this reply. ;)

Looking forward to a nice martini on the Galaxy soon. Does she have a martini bar?

jfrs, you almost have it perfect...ketel one, dirty, straight up with rock on the side. Had one earlier tonight and that is why I am having so much trouble typing this reply. ;)

Looking forward to a nice martini on the Galaxy soon. Does she have a martini bar?

Hi, I have a Celebrity Brochure right here with me:D

The Martini Bar is located on the Entertainment Deck. The Deck

Plan shows it is in the corner.

Lois, you are right on top of things. Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to the cruise even more than before! I have never sailed on X ... Been a RCCL fan for years. Don't know all of the details for x. Thanks again!

I have only sailed Royal once so I cannot give you

an honest comparison. I was on Soveriegn of The Seas BEFORE

they upgraded her. (she was not my cup of tea).

I have yet to sail Galaxy but have a deposit down on her for

next March but have sailed Celebrity quite a bit over the last

4 years.

I really enjoy their product:)...hopefully you will have a wonderful

time.

Lois and festigal, We have been on Galaxy three times and have never been to the location on deck 7 (Entertainment Deck) where the Celebrity brochure says is the Martini Bar.

We have spent 3 cruises at the Martini Bar on Galaxy and it resides on deck 5 the Plaza Deck. The Celebrity web site deck plans and your brochure have the same information. BUT it’s not correct. The deck plans call it the Champagne Bar but it is really the Martini Bar. 3 Galaxy cruises, 10 nights, 12 nights and the last one being 11 nights and we did not miss one time at the Martini Bar on Deck 5. Again it’s incorrectly shown as the Champagne Bar on the deck plans.

I have yet to meet anyone on Galaxy that has been to the bar shown in the deck plans on deck 7 next to the Savoy Night Club. It simply isn’t used as a bar.

Lois and festigal, We have been on Galaxy three times and have never been to the location on deck 7 (Entertainment Deck) where the Celebrity brochure says is the Martini Bar.

We have spent 3 cruises at the Martini Bar on Galaxy and it resides on deck 5 the Plaza Deck. The Celebrity web site deck plans and your brochure have the same information. BUT it’s not correct. The deck plans call it the Champagne Bar but it is really the Martini Bar. 3 Galaxy cruises, 10 nights, 12 nights and the last one being 11 nights and we did not miss one time at the Martini Bar on Deck 5. Again it’s incorrectly shown as the Champagne Bar on the deck plans.

I have yet to meet anyone on Galaxy that has been to the bar shown in the deck plans on deck 7 next to the Savoy Night Club. It simply isn’t used as a bar.

Roy, thanks for the update. I will be sure to find the place;)

and head for the Plaza Deck:D

What have I stared here? I have visions of Martini crazed passengers blockading themselves in the bar because they have run out of olives!

It's great to see so much interest in one of my favourite tipples, The Martini, in all its forms. In honour of this event, I am today forming the CELEBRITINI CLUB to celebrate all things Celebrity and Martini. I have just elected myself lifetime president and reserve the right to sample ALL Martinis that come over the bar, to ensure they are up to my very high standards, which tend to diminish as I strive for perfection during the day, I have never managed to make it for the evening sessions, so I may elect a vice president. All those in favour say 'Aye Aye'.

DARRENCANTWAIT: I do indeed like it 'on the rocks', the Martini that is, not the ship, and the place you seek is the Steak Bar in the Renaissance Hotel at Times Square NY.

WEAREADAMS: I will breaking my duck on the Conny for the New Year Caribbean Cruise departing on December 28th 2007.

LOISR: Thank you for your kind comments re my handle, now you have to work out which side of the cameras I'm referring to!

And to all who have mentioned my favourite voddy; Stolly, I always keep one in the freezer, it never freezes because it is so pure, just remains a lovely, ice cold, thick syrup that s-l-o-w-l-y slips down the throat and then burst into a red hot glow in the tum.

oldmovieguy,

Would like to request membership in the Celebritini club AND nominate my DH as VP. He heads to the Martini Bar every evening while I'm dressing where he has one up on me before I join him for a before dinner Martini. He's a purist Bombay Sapphire straight up (not dry) with olives kinda guy and I'm all for trying every flavor!!

I tried(made) a new martini last night. It is called the French Chambord Martini. It was Yummy. I love all martini's from the purist, dirty(the dirtier the better) to mixes. If anyone is interested in the recipe I will be willing to post it.

Archived