Weight Limit..Sorry Dumb Question

On our last cruise we weighed both bags before we left home. They both were under the 50 lb limit by a couple of pounds. But when we got the airport, just a short 20 minute ride they both became over weight by 5 lbs each. Was amezed by that. I offered the jump on the scale to see if I also had gained 5 lbs between home and the airport, but the would not let me. We pitched a fit and and they only charged us $25.00 for the two, even though it should have been $50.00 each. Kinda funny that we only had to pay 1/3rd of the cost. Pretty funny though when we came home, neither bag had a problem passing with over weight limit. Just amazed me, how they lost weight during the cruise and I probably gained it. Did not offer to get on the scale coming home though. LOL:D

:D LOL you guys obviously don't know Heather or her DH!!! I know exactly why she's worried about the weight limit. I've seen SOME of the stuff she's bringing.

And Yes Southwest does charge for overage. My aunt was one of those "squatters" in the airport when we went on our girls cruise last year. I ended up carrying all her heavy pottery in my suitcase. On our last cruise, since DH doesn't bring very much, we packed an empty suitcase inside his big one to birng souvenirs back in. Good luck Heather! See you "over there!"

See, now you now know why I always travel with children. Two bags per passenger x 4 passengers = 200lbs of luggage allowance ;)

I ALWAYS cut it close and I pack ALOT. But I have been known to get to the airport and switch some things to a lighter bag.

I use my husband's allowance -- he always packs no more than 3 pairs of pants on any trip and sends them to be cleaned, so more room for my clothes!

DH will definitely have all the souvenirs!

One more reason to fly Southwest or Jet Blue when possible. No weight limits.

Jet Blue used to allow 70 lbs per bag but dropped it to 50 lbs per bag in September '06. We flew to San Juan for our AOS cruise w/70 pounders. When we flew back home they told us the new limits were in effect but since we had booked under the old limit they would not charge extra. Now we pack close to the limit and in addition to our carry-on we carry a "personal item" i.e. beach bag. If our bags are over, we transfer a few pounds to our beach bag. It's not weighed and fits under the seat. Viola! Problem solved.

LOL you guys obviously don't know Heather or her DH!!! I know exactly why she's worried about the weight limit. I've seen SOME of the stuff she's bringing.

Ahhh....CRAP!! Busted..

I was quietly sitting here, giggling, envisioning all the squatters and the like...relating to it all,but planning on pleading the fifth all the way!

Then, scroll...VONNIE!! WHAT!! SHe threw me under the bus!!

THUMP THUMP!!

Okay..yes, it is true.

I need a twelve step program..:eek:

My name is Heather..and I am a Shopaholic in the worst way....

Now, back to how to cram it all in regardless!!!:D

ROFLMAO Vonnie...Yes, see ya "over yonder"!

Heather - just break down and buy (I know, a stretch for you) a hand scale. The one from Magellan is the one I'm getting, but others have said that the simple fish scales at Wal-Mart work the same (and same $$). Weighing luggage on the bathroom scale is fine if 1) your scale is accurate and 2) you put the exact same things in each piece of luggage coming back that you did on the trip there (not going to happen in my case). With the little travel scale, you can weigh luggage anywhere. I hope to ship home anything to heavy before flying back!

Archived