Island Princess Dolphin deck

Retired 07

I will be taking my first cruise (to Alaska) on the Island Princess soon. I have a choice between a mini-suite mid ship with an uncovered balcony, or a covered balcony a few staterooms from the rear of the ship, both on dolphin deck. Any recommendations? My wife is worried about seasickness toward the rear, and I have heard that there may be noise and vibration issues. Thank you.

Were were in an near aft stateroom on the Coral, the sister ship to the Island in Alaska and on a full Panama transit from Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco and did not experience any major noise and vibration issues. Since you might get some rain in Alaska I would take the covered balcony.

I will be giving a major test next month as we will be in a forward mini on the Island going to Hawaii... I still cannot figure why the AA's are so high and so far forward... I am hoping for smooth seas for my wife's sake :D:D

I would also vote for the covered balcony...we have had many many afts and while there is occasionally more vibration back there we have never been ill and we deliberately book the aft.

I vote for the covered balcony too for Alaska. We like the Dolphin deck but when we do the Alaska cruise again, we are getting a covered balcony. On our first cruise to Alaska, DH was still suffering the effects of some extremely rough sea we experienced getting to Glacier Bay and, because it was raining hard, he wasn't able to go out on the balcony but instead had to view the glaciers from inside the room. Eventually the seasickness medication kicked in enough for him to venture down to the Promenade Deck to view the glaciers from there.

We did the Panama Canal in the Aft Bump Out Covered Dolphin cabin. What we liked most was the little deck at the Aft for viewing. For the Alaska cruise that Aft deck will also be wonderful. We had no problem with any noise or vibrations. /Sultan

While you may get rain while in Alaska, you should also remember it is much cooler. Although we weren't on Princess during our Alaska cruise in July of 2005, the Ship we were on did have a fully covered balcony. Many times while sitting out there, we would have to cover up with blankets (more me than my DH). We never experienced a whole lot of rain, but had our $3 ponchos on board with us when it did. Especially used the ponchos at Mendenhall Glazier (they also helped with the very cool breeze).

When booking our Caribbean Cruise on the Crown for this June, we first reserved Dolphin Deck Mini Suites until I found out the balconies were completely uncovered. I changed our cabins to the Emerald Deck, Aft, with fully covered balconies. I told our friends that the only time I would consider an uncovered balcony, was when we go to Alaska again, as I thought it would be a little warmer with the sun down on us.

We can't wait to cruise Alaska again. It was a fantastic cruise with absolutely beautiful ports! Yes, I'm jealous. :) Have a wonderful time!

We have sailed the Island Princess on the Hawaii route.:)

I would take the covered balcony. We had a "AA" B228 which is forward.:rolleyes: You will find no vibrations and you will find this area of the ship quiet. Would do the "AA" mini-suites in this area in a heart beat.:o NO VIBRATIONS.... Enjoy and Happy Sailings....Leslie Swiger:)

Archived