Bermuda Travel Help Needed

laddcalcagno

I'm hoping I may have a chance at reaching out to someone who can help me. A poster on the disability thread suggested I post here as well. I am currently booked to make my first cruise on Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas. We are leaving from New Jersey in August and going on a 6 day cruise to Bermuda. A member of our party is in a wheelchair and CAN NOT transfer. I say this because on our last vacation in November to Disney, a very wheelchair friendly place, an incident occurred where I actually broke my arm attempting to transfer this person from his wheelchair on a ride that Disney refused to stop for us. While this is Disney's fault, and I wouldn't say a cruise would result in the same experience, I'm sure you can see our family's concern to make sure an accident like this never happens again, especially on a vacation.

From everything I've heard Royal Caribbean is among the best in disability cruise travel. And while there are many things to do on the ship, our main concern has become what to do when we arrive in Bermuda. All research on the cruise line's shore excursions have come up empty. Nothing is accessible. It seems in general Bermuda is a difficult place when it comes to those confined to a wheelchair. While there is one accessible beach, and a museum and aquarium, there appears to be no way of getting to them. We've called a taxi company and were told they can not help, they do not have anything that would be accessible. Royal Caribbean has not been helpful at providing transportation either, both the excursion and the disabled centers have been contacted. We've tried two large travel agencies (AAA and Liberty Travel) and were told they don't know anyone in the disabled travel specialty. People in wheelchairs travel! I'm sure of this. They're entitled to live a life outside their homes. So how is my question?

If anyone who travels with a wheelchair member in their party who has experience on cruises or Bermuda, I ask your help. This trip is on the verge of being cancelled. It seems rather pointless to pay money to cruise somewhere when you can't do anything once you're off the ship. Our last vacation was a horrible experience, we'd like to avoid a similar fate. Anyone who knows of a travel agent who specializes in wheelchair travel, I'd appreciate your help as well. If not to save this cruise, perhaps to help provide an alternative vacation.

Please someone help!

I'm hoping I may have a chance at reaching out to someone who can help me. A poster on the disability thread suggested I post here as well. I am currently booked to make my first cruise on Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas. We are leaving from New Jersey in August and going on a 6 day cruise to Bermuda. A member of our party is in a wheelchair and CAN NOT transfer. I say this because on our last vacation in November to Disney, a very wheelchair friendly place, an incident occurred where I actually broke my arm attempting to transfer this person from his wheelchair on a ride that Disney refused to stop for us. While this is Disney's fault, and I wouldn't say a cruise would result in the same experience, I'm sure you can see our family's concern to make sure an accident like this never happens again, especially on a vacation.

From everything I've heard Royal Caribbean is among the best in disability cruise travel. And while there are many things to do on the ship, our main concern has become what to do when we arrive in Bermuda. All research on the cruise line's shore excursions have come up empty. Nothing is accessible. It seems in general Bermuda is a difficult place when it comes to those confined to a wheelchair. While there is one accessible beach, and a museum and aquarium, there appears to be no way of getting to them. We've called a taxi company and were told they can not help, they do not have anything that would be accessible. Royal Caribbean has not been helpful at providing transportation either, both the excursion and the disabled centers have been contacted. We've tried two large travel agencies (AAA and Liberty Travel) and were told they don't know anyone in the disabled travel specialty. People in wheelchairs travel! I'm sure of this. They're entitled to live a life outside their homes. So how is my question?

If anyone who travels with a wheelchair member in their party who has experience on cruises or Bermuda, I ask your help. This trip is on the verge of being cancelled. It seems rather pointless to pay money to cruise somewhere when you can't do anything once you're off the ship. Our last vacation was a horrible experience, we'd like to avoid a similar fate. Anyone who knows of a travel agent who specializes in wheelchair travel, I'd appreciate your help as well. If not to save this cruise, perhaps to help provide an alternative vacation.

Please someone help!

The unfortunate truth is that it appeared to me that Bermuda is not very accessible for the disabled. However it would be best to find a travel agent who specializes in that as it is only an observation from a number of visits, I don't have first hand experience with a wheelchair in Bermuda.

Bermuda is a hard place to get around for wheelchairs.

I think they are trying to improve it. Esp near the shops in Hamilton.

But they are still hard to get in and out.

I know there was a post on here last year about someone bringing their mom or someone in a wheelchair.

I think they stayed around dockyard.

I'll see if I can find it

Years ago we took my aunt who was an amputee and took her wheelchair.

(One of those lightweight ones that are for traveling)

We must have taken a cab to get to horseshoe bay

I remember dragging her to the beach

Archived