Cozumel and Calica Shore Excursions

Caeleas

My GF and I are going on our first cruise in May on the Holiday. We definitely want to go on some shore excursions. From what I have read on here, if you book them with Carnival you will be paying a high price for something that you can get cheaper if you do it through a local company. What I am looking for is information on how to book them on your own and what experiences people have had by doing it that way. Thanks in Advance.

Our first cruise was also to Cozumel, and we've been back twice since. Snorkling and diving excursions from the ship are decent and not too overpriced. Drinking at Fat Tuesdays is as good as any excursion, especially if your ship leaves late in the evening.

One of the best things to do in cozumel is to just rent a scooter or buggie and just drive around. Be sure to stop at the local grocery and buy a bag of Mexican Cheetos. mmmm they have spicy little black dots on them and are just the yummiest.

the best way to find what to do, is to read the Ports of Call section of this Message Board.

You might or might not have significant savings booking directly vs. buying through the ship. I would read various traveler's reviews and decide what interests you the most. You can then check to see if your interests have their own websites. You might have consideration as to whether your ship is docked vs. tendered ashore. You might have priority in leaving the ship if you have purchased through them.

Don't waste you time with cancun-discounts as suggested by Fisherman Jim, they just happen to be the primary sellers of his fishing trips. I would suggest either booking through the ship or directly with the company and avoid extra middlemen making a commission. Beware sometimes of helpful suggestions which may contain a hidden agenda. Fisherman Jim used to be Island Jim. Best wishes on your trip, you'll have a great time!

Xcaret ecological theme park is a short shuttle ride from the Calica dock.

On Mercury the shore excursion desk sold a "tour" which included a pass to the park and continuous shuttle operations between the ship and the park. The price was reasonable and the shuttle convenient.

Or you can do it yoursellf with a taxi.

http://www.xcaret.com/?gclid=CNTspM6JoosCFRssVAodsyRxlA

One of the best things to do in cozumel is to just rent a scooter or buggie and just drive around.
I totally disagree that one of the best things to do in Cozumel is rent a scooter. Well, maybe it is if you want to see the inside of the hospital, otherwise it is a very dangerous activity and I strongly recommend that you do not rent a scooter.

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be going to Cozumel & Calica on the Holiday in October. I'm very impressed with what I have read on the forums about Edventures.

DH really wants to go to Xcaret, but I'm leaning more toward setting something up with Edventures.

Has anybody ever done both on the same cruise? If so, how did it go?

Archived