Carnival Vacation Club Nightmares

jagajak

I am looking for others that purchased this "membership". We spent 10K on this and it has been nothing but headaches. The value definately has not been there. Prices are WAY CHEAPER on Expedia and the only benefit is not having to wait in line at the port (which are getting faster anyways).

To make matters worse, I also won a "FREE TRIP TO HAWAII" on our cruise (which then prompted me to buy the platinum membership to the vacation club) Well it turns out that they only have 2 or 3 CONDOS in Hawaii, not RESORTS like was promised. The availability of these is slim to none. It is a joke. I am looking for others who are frustrated with them. I realize that I should have read the small print closer but when you are having so much fun on a cruise, you don't think that some timeshare company will hook up with such a big name as Carnival to take you to the cleaners!

Posting this problem twice isn't going to make it go away. You are using the same mentality to try to get out of this problem as you did when you got into the problem. Quit listening to what people SAY and research this thing. It is your money. Call Carnival.

I think its sad that Carnival has decided to start fleecing their passengers with this vacation club thang.......its one thing if they actually set up some sort of reward system for frequent cruisers....now that would be a sweet deal.....where they would give you some sort of actual $ incentive if you agree to cruise at least 5 times over the next 5 years........but instead they are looking to profit by using slick sales tactics and bending truths........im certainly not surprised to already hear that this deal isnt all they are trying to make it out to be.........anything to make a buck

• 2 months later...

We just got off the Pride yesterday along with another couple. We had a wonderful cruise and also bought into the "Vacation Club". It sounded great until we got home and found out differently. These are a few things that made us change our mind immediately.

1. Called the Vacation Hotline to inquire about a Price for the May 1st sailing of the Valor. (We already have this booked, but wanted to compare cost). I waited on hold for 7 minutes before someone answered the call. When I told the Rep that I wanted to see how many points this cruise would cost me these were the questions she asked.....

Where is the ship going? I told her the itinerary.

Here's the question that blew me away..... How many nights were you planning on staying? I told her it is a 7 day cruise, so I guess 7.

After that I asked her if she could also check on the Spirit for Oct 15, 05. She asked me if this ship was going to the same place as the Valor. I told her no, it is going to Mexico. Once again she asked how many nights I planned on doing. In between each request I was put on hold for a few minutes. This experience was a real turnoff. After talking with the Rep for a few minutes I told myself I would not feel comfortable booking anything with her. Her lack of knowledge, was a real turnoff.

2. The vacation club's price was $221 more than what we have the Valor booked for. I did ask for the points as well as the dollar breakdown. When I asked the Rep how they calculated the dollar value, she said " I think it's 31 cents a point. She said, "I don't really know I just put the info in the computer and it calculates it for me".

We also felt that why should we have to pay Carnival to be loyal to them? This was our 10th Carnival cruise and think that they need to come up with a better reward system, this certainly isn't one. They need to have a program similar to the airlines, you cruise so many times and you get some type of credit. There are many choices when it comes to cruising.

Lucky for us we did our homework immediately and found this program is not worth it. Overnighted the letter of cancellation this morning.

Thank you PT and the rest who saw through what I have been saying all along. We didn't take the hook to join it because after 2 or 3 days we would see the writing on the wall. I wish you all the best PT on the refund...

Tho' I have no other information than what I have seen on the 'boards', it appears that Carnival has contracted with a company that offers many goodies and frills, only to make a buck or two. Doesn't sound like Carnival to me, but... :confused:

Many reputable companies are getting into the "FREE" 3-day vacation weekend with any purchase over a set amount, etc., etc. only to find out that you have to pick three different destinations, not know for sure the exact date, and rely soley on luck concerning your picks as they are volume sensitive.. AND some include a "presentation".. Oh no, not again!! :rolleyes:

I really hope Carnival see's the error in their ways if what everyone is saying really happened, or the RCCL cruise I have my eyes on may be more appealing... ;)

We also purchased the Carnival Vacation while we were on the Conquest week before last.

We take a couple of land based vacations a year as well as 1 or 2 cruises a year.

I booked a land based vacation to Cancun for February using the Vacation Club and saved about $1900.00 (using the price on a .com travel site). That's a little over a third of the money I spent on the membership. So if I take another 2 land based vacations in the next 1 1/2 yrs I will have saved what the membership cost me.

I didn't buy the vacation club for just the cruise part. If I did I really don't think I would be getting my monies worth-but add in the savings on land based vacations, golf and hotels and it is well worth the $5000.00 I spent.

We went to a presentation and purchased on our September Conquest cruise. Currently, this is only offered on a couple of ships while at sea.

It is a program where you buy cruise points to use over the next 5 years. The program gets you some perks like no waiting for embarkation and first off of the ship and a few others.

Here are the breakdowns:

4 levels

Bronze - $3495 for 14000 points

Silver - $4995 for 20000 points

Gold - $7495 for 30000 points

Platinum $9995 for 40000 points

in addition to the cruise points you also get a couple free companion air certificates

plus

2 Resort Vacation certificates good for a week at a resort for a fee of $299.00 . Resorts are all over the globe 450 of them

The points are listed on their member's website, so without access while you on the ship, you have to go by what the salesperson (very similar to timeshare) tells you what points are worth. We did actually ask to see points and he showed us on his laptop. Of course, if you cruise at high volume time, it's not worth it, but after some thinking my wife and I bought.

Now the problem....we booked another cruise through Carnival Vacation Club and have talked to the representative five times....their customer service stinks! All they tell me is that the program has really done well and they did not expect this many people to sign up so soon....so they are a little behind. After complaining, I guess my wife and I will probably be in a hammock in the boiler room!!!

Was just wondering if any others had any experience...hopefully, it will get better....I still think the program has value, but they have to get better at customer service!

We are not members of the Carnival Vacation Club nor do I claim to know much about it other than what I have read on the boards. However, a few thoughts to consider re: the so called benefits of this "club".

No wait embarkation/first off debarkation: On a recent NCL cruise I contacted the ship prior to departure and asked to have our cruise critics group placed on the VIP list. This was my first cruise since joining cruise critics, but assuming the same came be accomplished on all lines. As part of the VIP list we were given both these benefits (first on/first off) without having to pay anyone any $$$.

Free Companion Air Certificates: Read the fine print on these. Often the full fare ticket has to be a certain class of ticket which is typically very high. You are often better off to buy two cheap tickets on a .com site vs buy one get one free with their exclusions.

Just something to think about when considering the TRUE value of this club.

You have hit the nail on the head as far as the airline certificates! Then again, we did not buy into this plan for the "extras" i.e., airline certificates, golf/resort discounts, etc. The "selling point" to us is that we usually cruise during the off season and with what the salesperson told us.....free upgrades are not 100% but they have never NOT upgraded anyone to date. So far, the worst part is dealing with their ineffective customer service. Hopefully, that will change and my wife and I can look forward to several more trips in the next few years! I keep telling myself, positive attitude!!

• 3 weeks later...

We were encouraged pretty strongly to get the vacation club but I hoped online and read what was on the boards about it and decided to wait a bit. The prices per cruise aren't that great - unless you factor in the resorts and the airline discounts.

Our major concern is that the salesperson told us to try and use everything up within 18 months just incase the program was no longer in service. Then when we found out the program was not owned by Carnival we felt even less comfortable about the whole situation.

• 1 year later...

Well, if you all didn't join the Carnival Vacation Club for other than the cruises, then why are you complaining? Sure, you can get cruise prices about the same price everywhere else, but there's nothing like walking up to the Skipper's Club and walking right onto the boat, by-passing all those other people who are waiting in line for 3 hours. And being the first off the ship is great too. Why are you complaining to strangers here, when, if you are not happy, you could call Carnival. There may be a few new people who don't know what they are doing, but they are at the phone company, the electric company and everywhere else too. I have had great cruises with the club, and was treated great, free cocktail parties, and even a free shuttle bus from Los Angeles to Ensenada, Mexico to catch the ship leaving for Hawaii. They didn't tell me about that -- it was a neat surprise. And the 2-for-1 airfares are not limited to dates - they are good for 48 continental United States when staying over a Saturday night if 2 people are coming and going from and to same destination. There's nothing wrong with that. The 2-for-1 airfare vouchers included in the package are good to save half price on airfares most times. The other vacations included are great too -- one free to Mexico and 2 others for anywhere in the world that is on their resort list -- with $299 activation price -- good for up to 6 people. That's a great deal. So if you didn't look at the resort list when you bought the package, shame on you. Why are you complaining about it now? You had a chance to look it over. I have loved all my cruises, and even sent my kids with the package. I got 3 air vouchers and 3 other vacations, and 5 people went on cruises -- 2 went to Hawaii for 12 days on the ship! That's a deal -- all that for $3500. 5 people took cruises, 3 extra vacations and 3 air vouchers saving approx. half price each!!! Chocolate-covered strawberries delivered to the cabin -- VIP sign on my door -- cocktail parties. AND my rep, Patty Perkins, has been wonderful on the phone helping set things up and mailing out necessary papers right on time.

I think this vacation club is the neatest travel club ever established. Though there are a few of you unhappy about it -- don't know why since it was all told up front to me -- there are probably thousands of us who love the club and I'm going to buy a bigger package in the next few months!

Those of you unhappy about the vacation club are probably also unhappy about everything else in life if you would go on line to complain about the club to a bunch of strangers -- when it's your own fault you didn't read the info or calculate what you were getting for your buck! Keep your faults to yourself -- call the club and complain to them. If I were unhappy with you I wouldn't go on line to complain about you to the world -- I would go direct to you. ;)

Sounds like the majority of the people that come on here to whine got into something way to deep for their wallets and when they get home to find out they just gave their mortgage away:D they come on here and Freak out:eek:. Whether its Carnival Vacation Club or a Conventional Time Share people always go home and say "damn why did I do that" lol.

Im not going to waste my time on this thread, If you do a search, you will see how happy I am with this club, I've done the math and saved a ton cash on my 4 pre-paid cruises, Im a happy member and will be getting another Silver membership in April on the Spirit where I got mine the first time. :)

And like I said in the other CVC threads, One less person at the VIP parties, more drinks for me :D lol.

Fred

Free Companion Air Certificates: Read the fine print on these. Often the full fare ticket has to be a certain class of ticket which is typically very high. You are often better off to buy two cheap tickets on a .com site vs buy one get one free with their exclusions.

Just something to think about when considering the TRUE value of this club.

You have hit the nail on the head as far as the airline certificates! !!

I rely heavily on these extra Club Perks:) Flying coast to coast is no joke!, The Free Companion Air Cert saved me 500.00 this past March, and thats not including on all the other CVC Savings I been getting. With all of the Free Companion Air Cert alone, this could pay for the membership itself:D

free upgrades are not 100% but they have never NOT upgraded anyone to date. !!

Umm, never upgraded anyone? Well lets see,I booked 2 Cat.1a and got 2 Cat. 6a with French Doors, and also booked 2 Cat.4a and got 2 Cat. 6a with French doors, looks like they upgraded me very well.:)

My friend used CVC Friends and Family plan, not only did he saved 1000.00 but lets see, booked a Cat.4a and got a Cat.8h balcony on the Legend, ummm lets see, I Cross Ref 3 booking of Cat. 4a inside Cabins and got 3 Cat.6a side by side.... I wonder why you never been upgraded:D

And as far as Carnival Vacation Club customer service? The best I've ever seen.

Fred

Now the problem....we booked another cruise through Carnival Vacation Club and have talked to the representative five times....their customer service stinks! All they tell me is that the program has really done well and they did not expect this many people to sign up so soon....so they are a little behind.

I just booked 2 cruises with them, didnt have any problem and I didnt have to speak to 5 reps, only one and it was fun doing it.

Was just wondering if any others had any experience...hopefully, it will get better....I still think the program has value, but they have to get better at customer service!

Never had a problem with their professional great service. Even when I call them to ask them question they're are very willing to chat and help. There is nothing wrong with the Program, its been fine since I signed up 2 years ago.

We have been members a short period of time. The rep we have dealt with at the club has been exceptional. She has been very knowledgeable. I've had a million questions, she has had the answer and those that she didn't she put me on hold and went to a supervisor for help. When my family also booked a cruise (same as us - they are out of state), she didn't hesitate to pick up the phone and ask our preferences so that we could have a cabin close together, eat at the same table etc.

We joined just for the cruise portion of the club. I do feel our $ could of stretched a bit further BUT we did get two 7/8 night cruises in 8D category balcony cabins so did OK. So since we joined, I'm going to take full advantage of the VIP status and enjoy our two cruises.

I did find that it paid to compare points verus $. A cruise to Hawaii (no we didn't book) was far cheaper to do thru our regular travel agent. However the Mexico cruises were comparable in prices. So I think we did OK on our bookings with the club. When I calculated, I used 25 cents a point but there website says to use 17.5 cent a point. If you run short and are in a state that allows you to purchase additional points, you are charged 31.2 cents per point to "rent" the points. So purchasing additional points can add up quickly.

It definitely pays to ask lots of questions, read the fine print, and then decide if it will work for you. It is not a good fit for all, just like any membership in any club.

Why are you complaining to strangers here, when, if you are not happy, you could call Carnival.

They can't call Carnival. Carnival does not own or operate this program. They simply sold the use of their name and rented space on some of their ships. This program is run by ICE.

The original post is from 2004. Have you guys run out of things to talk about???

Good point. Sounds like the CVC has come along way in two years. ;)

Fred, I thought you said you weren't going to get involved. :D

• 1 month later...

i was on the phone with carnival when i was reading you experences.

i signed up for the carnival culb. but was not able to make the full payment. i still have this voucher (7 day stay) well now there telling me that i have to be a active member in order to use it. even after at the time i was crusing they told me diffrent. i'm really up set they had me off an on on the phone. now they are going to call me in 72 hrs. to see wat they could do. the thing is that i lost $349.50 and now my vaccation... :mad:

i was on the phone with carnival when i was reading you experences.

i signed up for the carnival culb. but was not able to make the full payment. i still have this voucher (7 day stay) well now there telling me that i have to be a active member in order to use it. even after at the time i was crusing they told me diffrent. i'm really up set they had me off an on on the phone. now they are going to call me in 72 hrs. to see wat they could do. the thing is that i lost $349.50 and now my vaccation... :mad:

HUH???? You didn't finish paying but you still want the perks?? I would expect that you would have to pay before using any perks... So when are you intending to finish paying for your membership?? At that time, shouldn't you be able to use it?? I'm confused. Can you explain what you are trying to do?? You lost your deposit... because you waited so long or what???

Archived