Pearl 3/16 review

umiami11

Hello all,

I wanted to write a review for all of you who may be traveling on the Pearl soon since we had read some wonderful reviews but still had questions. Hopefully this should help someone else out.

We are from Florida and did not have much traveling to do. We arrived very early (10:30) due to the non existant miami rush hour traffic. Believe me that surprised us too! We lived there for a while and never had it that easy! We obviously had some serious waiting to do in the "you're too early room" full of cookies and coffee. They had said you can't board until 12:00 but at 11:30 we started on, not too bad. Our room was ready when we arrived which was nice since we wanted to drop off the carry on bags. We had pruchased a liquor set up which was in our room waiting for us! If anyone does not know what that is it is a way you can purchase bottles of your favorite whatever legally at more expensive than a store prices but cheaper than buying individual drinks on board. Book this early though! It takes time! Also we had an anniversary package that had champagne waiting for us as well. The chocolate covered strawberries came later that night.

We then went to eat lunch which was great everyday in the buffet. I suggest the crepe station! I had one like every day! I guess I will go through the restauranst first. They had 2 for 1 specials for dining in most of the restaurants every night between 5:30 and 6:30. This only came in handy for us on the first night since we usually eat quite late, but were starving that day. The dieting had taken it's toll!

Day 1 Cagneys (2 for 1) Oysters rockefellar- cold and fishy tasting, shrimp cocktail great! Any meat there is fab! We got the cheesecake (ok) and Chocolate obsession (amazing) but ask for it with ice cream, way better!

Day 2 Le Bistro- included in our anniversary package so we did not pay for it but did upgrade the wine offered with it. Get the escargot!!!!! If you are afraid this is the place to try it. It just tastes like shrimp scampi but better! The warm onion and goat cheese tart is insane! Get two! But you have to really like goat cheese! The tenderloin and braised short ribs are insane and the chocolate soufle and fondue were great! If they do not have the fondue on the menu ask for it special!

Day 3 Mambos- Great Mexican food! Free! Get the shrimp and crab quesadillas! And the churros are really good but ask for them warm!

Day 4 Tempanyaki- Worth the cost! You can even get more than is stated on the menu. I wanted the filet and shrimp but with lobster too! I know pig! But I don't care! I even ate veggies! That never happens, but when it is covered with butter and garlic it magically disappeared! The Green tea ice cream is amazing! Coconut is good too!

Day 5 Lotus Garden- Sooo good! Get the pot stickers! Yummy spring rolls! The duck is unreal! So sweet! And the Banana pancake for dessert is the best, it even comes warm a la mode!

Day 6 Sushi- We had no one else at the whole section and the chef was amazing! He just started making rolls! We must have tried 6 different ones in all. Ask for the ambassador roll! Not on the menu, no rice, crazy fish you would never try, then deep fried! Seriously, not joking! So good! Don't be scared, you only live once! It won't kill you and you can always spit it out.

Day 7 La Cucina- Nothing amazing but very good. My husband is Italian and it had a lot to live up too. Most people will probably love it! We are just spoiled! The antipasti come to the table right away so you have something to snack on while you decide on dinner. Anything pasta is obviously good but the side dish of Gnocci with sage and brown butter is really great! Very different than most. Most are very soft, these were crunchy and different!

Day 8 Mambos again!- Same thing again! See above! Yum

Day 9 Pizza at home while unpacking, soooooo sad!

Trips: (all through ncl)

2 days at sea! Amazingly relaxing!

Dominica- 4x4 rainforest adventure. Cool! Beautiful island, very wet! Still have a few bruises from the truck! And I'm not a wimp! But very worth it!

Barbados- Catamaran and turtle snorkel. Great boat! Great lunch! Great beach! 2 turtles 50 people very cramped! Worth it but understand you will get kicked in the face once!

St. Lucia- Canopy tour. Our second! Amazing! Do this!!!!!! Trust me! No yucky roller coaster feeling! Just beautiful and tranquil! Do this!!!

Antigua- Sting ray city. Second time again! Great! You will not die like steve irwin so stop thinking it. That was a wild animal that did not get fed everyday by cruisers. You don't bite the hand that feeds you! Trust me very safe! I was a marine science major at UM.

Tortola- Bar crawl. Horrible! Do not do this! They make it sound like you go from bar to bar and get free drinks. You get on the bus at 8:30am, you get a warm rum punch, you go to one bar that you can pick any beer or soda from, that's it. No fun tropical drinks. The next stop is shopping for 15 minutes, not kidding! Then to a restaurant where you get a shot of equally as warm something blue before you get in. Then a great lunch! (Get the ribs) then off back to the boat. If you were counting that was 3 drinks 2 warm, one beer or soda only. Rip off! The island was beautiful but they are banking on the fact that you will be too drunk to remember that the trip sucked! Guess what, I wasn't. As you can tell I loved everything on the entire trip except this. That should say something!

Day at sea- Thank god!

Departure- :(

Policies and procedures next...

More to come...

ok, so back to the boards...

The ship was nice. It had very bold colors and the atrium was pretty. Not amazing but nice enough. The huge tv screen was out of this world. Everyone should have a 2 story tv. They played nintendo wii games on it in the afternoons and it was too cool. Not even to play but to watch. The ship itself has one of those layouts that you can not go through from the front to the back on certain decks. The best thing to do when you leave your room is to remeber what part of the ship you are trying to go to. If you want the front, just go to the front of the ship on your floor and then take the elevators to the deck you need. I think it is 6 and one other deck that does not go through. Everything is pretty easy to find due to the signs that point to all of the restaurants and other locations.

Our room was nice as well. We always get a balcony room but said that if we were to do this boat again we would need a mini suite. The mini suite was the same size as a balcony room on both the Adventure of the Seas on Royal Caribbean and the Valor on Carnival. It is about 150 sq feet smaller on the Pearl. Still nice but definitley smaller. There were only two of us and we had let one go by the bed before the other could. We agreed that the bathroom was set up properly on this ship though. The shower has a door so you don't soak the whole bathroom when you shower and you can definitley have someone in the shower while someone else is at the sink. There is a door for the toilet as well. You will want to ask for more hangers or bring your own if you have many things to hang since you only get about 10. Also, there had been a pillow issue on the role call we were on about if the pillows were fluffy or hard. I guess it depends on what you consider fluffy. I thought they were fine. I really didn't even think about it so that must have meant I was either really tired or they were similar to my pillows at home. Probably a little of both. At any rate my pillows at home are more on the stiff side I guess. Definitley not down.

PLaces to hit on the ship:

The best bar for frozen drinks is the sky high bar. They serve some food there too. The reason I like this one better than the one right at the pool is because they make the blended drinks right in front of you and the pool bar has the machines that are premade and just waiting to pour. They seemed runny to me and I like mine thick. Also they are nicer since they are not slammed at all times. They also set up a table right next to the pool for drinks. Do Not Use Them. Mean and crappy drinks. This must be the bartender training area! Also the Sky high bar is only up 1 flight of small stairs from the pool and it is still outside. It gives you a nice little break from the sun if you want.

Go bowling! You think I am crazy but there might be a time that you just can't think of something to do. It is $5.00 per person (cheaper than any bowling alley) and is new. New balls, new music, Bar, just enjoyable. So the bowling shoes are still new and don't smell like crap! Don't forget to pack socks! We actually played 3 times. Once I won and once my husband one so the third time was more for bragging rights. I didin't win so I don't want to talk about that any more!

Do Tempanyakki. I don't care if you have a cook on the table restaurant in your town. This is really great food! Fresh (obviously since they cook it on your table) and fun! You must litterally wake up at 7:00am and book this dinner for the next night. They book up soooo fast! But it's worth it!

Take formal pictures! You do not have to dress up to take formal picutes, but at the end of the trip you may really like one and it is nice to have a few to chose from. We ended up getting one that we did dress up in and another that my husband was wearing sandals in. It just makes for a cute topic of conversation at your house when someone notices it.

Go to the the Star Bar. It is right next to Cagneys Steak House and it is very private! They have a remotely big flat screen with couches and you can change the channel if you want to. The basketball games were only on the outside bar at the back of the ship and I didn't want to get my hair all messed up after spending so much time on it before dinner so this was a quite, less windy option. By the end of the trip it became more crowded since people finally found it, but in the beginning it was really nice.

Go to the Second City Improv show. My husband needs to be brought kicking and screaming to any shows but loved this one. It is soooo funny! I did not see any other shows but I would recommend this one with flying colors. Other people said the Garden of the Geisha was good too, but a cirque du sole type show was too much to ask of my husband. I knew that would be a no before I even asked.

Eat the croissants. They are so freaking good I was trying to figure out a way to sneak a dozen by customs. I am a foody if you haven't noticed and I love anything french, flaky and buttery. This took care of it all. So good I had like 2 a day at breakfast!

Go to the chocolate buffet! It was at 10:45pm on a sea day and we were exhausted! We were falling asleep at like 10:00 that night so I set up a wakeup call. (Side note: I'm obsessed with chocolate!!!) My husband didn't make it so I took pictures and I'm glad I did since I had them to show other people! Really yummy stuff!

Overall, great experience! If anyone has any other questions please let me know!

I do not remember any fish & chips if you can believe it! Obvioulsy they could have been offered in one of the dining rooms on one of the nights I was at another restaurant.

I was just remembering by the way that we ate at Indigo (one of the main dining rooms) on lobster night which was the third night, so push back all of the dinners we had by a night. I'm confusing myself with the numbers but I remember the order now. You can have as many lobster tails as you wnat by the way incase you did not know. I had 3 and I consider it my worst showing on a lobster night but they had good choices that night and I ate other things too.

We were on the 3/16 too. You should have done the Virgin Gorda Highlights tour in Tortola. The Baths were absolutely beautiful!

The Bliss Lounge also had the basketball games on all day. It was a sports bar by day and nightclub by night.

Also, take advantage of the 2 for 1 drink special by the pool from 4-6pm each day. Julio is the best bar server there and he made sure he got one last order in before 6pm for us each day.

Fish and chips are available 24/7 in the Blue Lagoon. We went there several times, but I never tried them.

YOU, my dear, have just made MY day!!!!!! AND MY CRUISE!!! <3<3<3

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be there everyday!!!

Thank you! Hilarious! I look forward to lobster night and even though my mother has no plans of checking out specialty restaurants, I plan on going even if I have to go alone. My sister might join me, we'll see. I know I want to try Cagneys and possibly cucina's.

Booberry:

If you are going to do a specialty restaurant and like french food even a little I would suggest that before La Cucinas. It wasn't bad, just blah... But do hit Cagney's! And if you do not get the Cagney's Fries I will stop writing posts forever! They are that amazing! I could have had a dozen orders! Enjoy your trip and if anyone has any quesitons please do not hesitate to ask.

Hi, we are first-time cruisers booked on the Pearl's 7/22/07 Alaska sail (celebrating our 10th anniversary). We are foodies, too! Would appreciate a list of the free and pay restaurants. Also, can all dinner res be made on the first day? Res necessary for all restaurants for dinner? Very much appreciate your response.

I was on the same cruise and had a great time. I'm sorry That I haven't gotten online to post a review. A nine day cruise will back up your work for weeks:( I will say this is the best of my 4 cruises yet. The ship was beautiful and the food was awesome.:D DW and I took my parents (steadfast CCL cruisers) they are now converted. They loved Freestyle. I spoke with Klaus. He asked me to say Hi to everyone on Cruise Critic. He will be leaving the Pearl in a couple months to roll out the Gem.

I'm with you, MA 2 VA, 9 days was the perfect length! I don't know that I'll be able to go back and do a 7 day!

Here are the restaurants -

Free restaurants -

Garden Cafe - buffet style - open breakfast, lunch, dinner, and late night

Outdoor Restaurant - same as above

Summer Palace - main dining room - open for breakfast, lunch, and for 5- course dinners

Indigo - smaller main dining room - open for 5-course dinners

Mambo's - Tex Mex - open for dinner

La Cucina - Italian - open for dinner

Blue Lagoon - 24/7

Pay restaurants -

Lotus Garden - Asian fusion - $10

Shabu-Shabu - Mongolian hot pot - $10

Sushi Bar - $15

Cagney's Steakhouse - $20

Le Bistro - French cuisine - $15

Teppanyaki - $20

The pay restaurants are open for dinner, and some of them may be open for lunch on sea days. Just keep eye on the back page of your Daily, which lists every restaurant and their hours each day.

Hope this helps -

Hi, we are first-time cruisers booked on the Pearl's 7/22/07 Alaska sail (celebrating our 10th anniversary). We are foodies, too! Would appreciate a list of the free and pay restaurants. Also, can all dinner res be made on the first day? Res necessary for all restaurants for dinner? Very much appreciate your response.

Here's a list I came up with. Although it looks like some of the "pay" restaurants have increased their prices since the list was made.

NORWEGIAN PEARL RESTAURANTS

Summer Palace Main Dining Room – Deck 6 (Seats 558)

The Summer Palace is the larger of the two main restaurants offering a traditional dining experience. Its ornate decor was inspired by the grandeur of the palaces of St. Petersburg, Russia. It has high ceilings and large windows across the rear.

Indigo Main Dining Room - Deck 6 (Seats 304)

The Indigo is the smaller of the two main restaurants. Indigo is a modern dining room featuring a lighter, more contemporary menu and is decorated in bright blue, purple, and orange and looks much like a boutique hotel restaurant. As this restaurant is connected directly to the main galley, prompt and smooth serving of the food is ensured.

Le Bistro French Restaurant - Deck 6 (Seats 129)

Le Bistro is a French restaurant offering a menu of modern and classic gourmet fare with a $10 pp cover charge, reservations required.

Blue Lagoon Restaurant – Deck 8 (Seats 94)

Located on deck 8 over the atrium, is a 24-hour food court-style eatery featuring burgers, fish and chips, chili and other fast foods.

Cagney's Steakhouse Restaurant – Deck 13 (Seats 176)

Cagney's is an upscale traditional steakhouse of the 1930’s with a $15 pp cover charge and reservations required. They serve steak, lobster, lamb, veal, and other grilled foods.

Garden Café – Deck 12 (Seats 390)

The Garden Cafe has replaced the traditional buffet restaurant with an "action-station" concept, where guests can watch the food being prepared. It has a special "kid's only" section, with lower counters and smaller tables and chairs seating 52.

Great Outdoors – Deck 12 (Seats 259)

The Great Outdoors is on deck 12 aft and connects with the Garden Cafe.

La Cucina Italian Restaurant – Deck 12 (Seats 96)

Casual Italian restaurant with a farmhouse-style atmosphere serving pasta, pizza and other traditional fare. No charge but reservations needed.

Mambo's Latin/Tapas Restaurant – Deck 8 (Seats 96)

Serves modern Mexican, Tex-Mex and tapas. No charge but reservations needed.

Lotus Garden Asian Restaurant – Deck 7 (Seats 162)

Lotus Garden serves Japanese, Chinese, and Thai cuisine. $10 pp cover charge.

Sushi Bar serves sushi, sashimi, and Shabu-Shabu. $12.50 pp cover charge.

Teppanyaki is a traditional Japanese grill where the chefs are entertaining and the food is grilled on an iron plate. $20 pp cover charge. Reservations required.

The prices I gave were copied straight out of the dailies I brought home, so they should be accurate for you. Brunolvr's post has which restaurants need reservations, and you can also make them at the two main dining rooms if you desire, but it is not required. And yes, you can make reservations as soon as you get on the ship the first day, but only for that day and the following. You can never make them for further ahead than the next day.

We had two "dress up or not" nights on our 9-day cruise, BTW. There was a pretty fair percentage of folks dressed up, I thought.

Hi,

Does anyone know if Teppanyaki dining is available the first night of the cruise and the times of availability? We will board next Friday and wanted to make our reservations immediately for that night? Also, we wanted to dine in one of the main dining rooms for the second nite, but does it make more sense to make a reservation for one the smaller restaurants at the time we make our Teppanyaki reservation? We will be on the Pearl. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Any restaurant is available the first night of the cruise - the times for Teppanyaki every night on our cruise were 5:30, 7:30, and 9:30 pm. The 3 times are set because of the style of dining of that venue.

If you want to make reservations for Saturday night, you can do it on Friday when you board, but no further ahead than that. Reservations can be made for any restaurant at the desk at Mambo's or by phone. There's a restaurant reservation button right on the phone!

Archived