Extra person in a mini-suite

balletmom

My husband and I are booked into a mini-suite on the Crown Princess (New York to San Juan 10.20.07). Originally, our daughter was going to share with us. My sister has decided to join us and needed a cabin mate. My daughter is now booked in the other cabin. What I was wondering, is it a problem if my daughter decides she still wants to sleep in our cabin even if she's booked into the other one? Will the cabin steward have a problem making up an extra bed for her? Thanks for your help!

We did this once, we booked one of the kids in grandma's room, but told the room steward the kid would be staying with us. He had no problem, and made us the sofa bed every night, and brought over a child life jacket to leave in our room.

Just to play devil's advocate, isn't this technically cheating Princess and against the rules? The single cabin should be paying a double fare for one person and the mini suite should be paying for a third person.

I just had to throw that out there for all of the avid "rule followers" that insist their cruise will be ruined by people dressing inappropriately or smoking 15 balconies down; well maybe some think it's classless to cheat princess out of the appropriate fare.

I guess I am just curious to see which rules are ok for the "classy" to ignore.

LOL

Thanks everyone for their responses! We are booked as a mini-suite AD guarantee. It never occurred to me that our mini might not accomodate three people. I will go and look at the deck plans on the Crown and hope for the best! I was planning on tipping the cabin stewart extra for the additional work.

Thanks everyone for their responses! We are booked as a mini-suite AD guarantee. It never occurred to me that our mini might not accomodate three people. I will go and look at the deck plans on the Crown and hope for the best! I was planning on tipping the cabin stewart extra for the additional work.

Not sure how many triples are onboard so keep in mind that booking a guarantee means you could end up in any mini suite category from AD to AA, not just an AD. If having your daughter in your room is very important to her, I would try to get an assigned cabin (triple) and forget the guarantee business. With gurantees, you never know where you might end up and the cabin assignment could change right up until you board, even more than once. You could just as easily end up in a double without a sofa bed as a triple with one on a gurantee basis.

Better to be safe then sorry.

Just to play devil's advocate, isn't this technically cheating Princess and against the rules? The single cabin should be paying a double fare for one person and the mini suite should be paying for a third person.

I just had to throw that out there for all of the avid "rule followers" that insist their cruise will be ruined by people dressing inappropriately or smoking 15 balconies down; well maybe some think it's classless to cheat princess out of the appropriate fare.

LOL

There may or may not be any difference in revenue to the cruise line, since the dreaded "single premium" is not always (and in fact most times isnt) 200% of the double-occupancy rate. When I cruised in a single cabin on the Diamond to Alaska, it was 175%. I've gotten quotes for other cruises of 150% and even slightly less. It really depends on the ship, itinerary, time of year, etc.

If the single premium for their particular cruise is 150% and the 3rd passenger in the cabin is paying 50%, there is no revenue difference. Also, its not like they are not paying for 4 people, they are....they are just arranging the room occupancy in a way where it makes the fare more favorable. Princess knows they have 4 people, and they are telling the Cabin Steward that they are having a third in the mini. Now, if the steward said "I'm sorry, that is against policy", and they did it anyway, THEN I would agree with you :cool:

OK, I understand that the 3rd person sleeps on the sofa bed in a mini sute. But where does the 4th person sleep? Is there an upper berth above the sofa in some mini suites?

Yes in a Quad cabin the bunk pulls out of the ceiling or the wall over the couch. :)

Thanks everyone for their responses.

I haven't responded to your initial query but I'm intrigued by your moniker. My mother was a "balletmom" as I was, and, if my hips weren't "going" (I'm 57), I would still be taking class or teaching.

I haven't been on the Crown but every other Princess ship has had a ballet barre/mirrors in the gym; nice hardwood floors, too. I've often had the entire "studio" to myself for some exercises at the barre and/or centre combinations.

BTW, DH and I live in north suburban Detroit and have season tickets for the National Ballet of Canada in Toronto. This is about a 4-hour drive for us, and we make the trip 3-4 times a year specifically to see the ballet. Have you ever visited the National Ballet School? I made arrangements for DD to take class there on one of our visits years ago. It was awesome!

I apologize to others here for getting off-topic. Balletomanes tend to be a little eccentric :D .

Chris

My daughter is a beautiful dancer. She spends 10+ hours a week dancing. I've been looking into summer programs for her and will keep in mind the Royal Ballet in Toronto. She would be in seventh heaven taking classes there. On another note, we're hoping to see a Broadway show with lots of dancing before our embarkation in New York.

On the mini-suite question, my travel agent told me I had a AD mini-suite guarantee and I've checked the deck plans and they all look like they will accomodate at least three people.

LOL

I actually thought about that. The price for the 3rd person was the same as a 2nd person on the inside room, which is where my mother in law is staying. We also told our TA what we were planning on doing, so that they can be sure we had a room that will take a 3rd person

I also have the person that will take care of our room in mind. He/She will be cleaning up for a 3rd person, and I will given them something extra for that.

Archived