Zip Line Excursion...camera????

sharod

We are doing the zip line in Jamaica through RCCL. I would love to take my camera. Is it possible to be strapped in, holding on for dear life, and still have a camera strapped around your neck?? Oh, and can you take pics as you are flying through the canopy?

Anyone with any experience in this area???

Thank you

We are doing the zip line in Jamaica through RCCL. I would love to take my camera. Is it possible to be strapped in, holding on for dear life, and still have a camera strapped around your neck?? Oh, and can you take pics as you are flying through the canopy?

Anyone with any experience in this area???

Thank you

You need both hands to do a Canopy tour, at least we did for our tour in Puerto Vallarta. You use one hand to hold the teather to steady yourself, and the other hand is behind your head on the line to help you break. They made people put cameras in their pocket, or lock them up in the lockers at the base station.

They created a video for us that was not too much money, $25 I think.

Anyway, you need to wear really thick gloves (remember you hands are going to be your breaks on the wire) so it would be very hard to use a camera anyway.

We did the zip line tour out of Ocho Rios the past February. There were people taking pictures and one doing a video tape without problem. You use one hand to steady yourself but its not like you are holding yourself onto the zip line. The harness does that. At one of the picture spots where they take your picture they were actually encouraging people to let go with both hands. You are not braking with your hands. The only thing you would need to do with your hands is to pull yourself to the next platform if you didn't reach it.

I think the picture takers actually removed one glove to take their pictures.

DSCF0136.jpg.dcab9a6c25424b31b397a836235376ad.jpg

they provide you with thick gloves. The palms are leather. In PV they made us leave our cameras in the lockers. The DVD we bought costed a total of $50 to be shipped to us in Michigan. Sounds like the Jamaicans will let you get risky on the lines!

We used the straps to put our camera - and video cameras around our necks while ziplining. My husband actually videotaped a few of the lines & also taped our boys. It's hilarious to watch because he's usually calm and collected - but during the first few runs you can hear how nervous he is! It's a nice memory to have.

they provide you with thick gloves. The palms are leather. In PV they made us leave our cameras in the lockers. The DVD we bought costed a total of $50 to be shipped to us in Michigan. Sounds like the Jamaicans will let you get risky on the lines!

I've seen the zip line ride in PV on television and it seems to be a completely different kind of harness where you have more control over how fast, how slow, when to stop. The zip line in Ocho Rios has you more of just a passenger. Samantha Brown did the zip line in Montego Bay during her Freedom of the Seas show.

It seems like every place you zipline is run a little differently! I did it in Belize, as part of the Zipline/Cave tubbing tour and we definitely needed two hands to ride... and one was definitely used to break! Even though we needed two hands, I do believe I remember having camaras with them - hanging from their necks even. There were plenty of good opportunities to snap photos while you waited for your turn to soar - the scenery, loved ones zipping down, etc. - although it was nearly impossible to take pics while actually being on the zipline. I had a new camara at the time so I was afraid to bring mine along - looking back on it I wish I had because they didnt have a DVD/photos that I could buy!

Either way, its alot of fun, a little scary and will make a lifelong memory!!

Enjoy!

I just went ziplining in Roatan and we didn't need our hands at all. We were given gloves the type that don't cover your fingers. We were incouraged to let go and lean back and hang upside down. I gave the camera to my DH and he did just fine taking pictures and video. I didn't feel comfortable letting go until the end and then I wished that I had relaxed sooner.

We did the zip line tour out of Ocho Rios the past February. There were people taking pictures and one doing a video tape without problem. You use one hand to steady yourself but its not like you are holding yourself onto the zip line. The harness does that. At one of the picture spots where they take your picture they were actually encouraging people to let go with both hands. You are not braking with your hands. The only thing you would need to do with your hands is to pull yourself to the next platform if you didn't reach it.

I think the picture takers actually removed one glove to take their pictures.

OK, it seems that Ocho Rios is totally different than the zip line in PV. You definitely would not want to do it one handed there. You can go really fast on that one. So fast in fact, they had to change out my pulleys half way through to ones that created more friction.

We did the Canopy Tour in Ocho Rios.....

I brought my camera (Nikon D100) with me. It's not a point and shoot little camera ;) and I felt safe holding it and using it. Just keep a strap around your neck, or on your wrist if you have a small camera.

Archived