Limited menu on first night?

ffej

I know that there is no assigned seating in the dining room on the first night, but is the menu limited as well? Would this be a good night to go to Chops?

Also, is the charge for Chops $20/person or per couple?

Thanks for the info.

On the contrary, there is assigned seating in the dining rooms on the first night. Your table assignment will be shown on you sign and sail card. Show it upon entry and you will be shown to your assigned table, The dining hours are usually changed a bit on the first night to accomodate the muster drill. We usually ask for a table for two and seldom receive it on our cards. We see the maitre'd in upon boarding and ask for same, but reassignment doesn't take place until night 2. For that reason we usually opt for a specialty restaurant for the first night. Bon Voyage!

The only time I've experienced open seating on the first night is the first year Voyager went out of Bayonne and boarding was at 6 p.m. - they have since gotten their act together and first night dining is the same as every other night - and, as I recall, the food is quite good that night.

In response to the OP's second question, Chops/Portofino is $20 per person.

The only ships that did not have assigned seating the first night were the Celebrity Galaxy and RCL AOS. Reason for this, is both ships leave from, San Juan at 10-11p.m. because of all the late flights in SJU. Alll other cruises we have been on had assigned seating the first night

Thanks for the information. Our only other cruise was on Celebrity's Constellation out of San Juan a few years ago, so that must have been why there was no assigned seating the 1st night.

but is the menu limited as well?
It has been my experience that the number of menu items I am able to consume the first night are limited, but by the second evening the stomach distension is complete and there are no limitations.;)

The menu is no more limited the 1st night than any other night! If you skip the dining room, you'll miss meeting your tablemates! Don't be left out "of the loop!"

Here here! Sound advice indeed

Cheers

Jason

It has been my experience that the number of menu items I am able to consume the first night are limited, but by the second evening the stomach distension is complete and there are no limitations.;)

LOL - thanks for the lunch time smile :p

I would personally not try for a specialty restaurant on the first night -- you will miss meeting your tablemates, and there's a good chance you won't have your luggage yet. The specialty restaurants are a dressier venue.....you can wear your travel clothes in the regular dining room the first night if you don't have your luggage yet.

Archived