Pre Cruise Tours from RCCL

Yankee123

Hello All,

My DW and I are planning an Alaska cruise on RCCL in 2008, and had a couple of questions:

1) Is it worth doing Pre or Post Cruise Tours in Alaska?

2) We have two options for pre cruise tours: -

a) Go to Fairbanks - to Denali - to Seward - board ship OR

b) Go to Anchorage - to Alyeska - to Seward - board ship

Which route sounds more interesting?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Hello All,

My DW and I are planning an Alaska cruise on RCCL in 2008, and had a couple of questions:

1) Is it worth doing Pre or Post Cruise Tours in Alaska?

2) We have two options for pre cruise tours: -

a) Go to Fairbanks - to Denali - to Seward - board ship OR

b) Go to Anchorage - to Alyeska - to Seward - board ship

Which route sounds more interesting?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

I know people do pre and post cruise tours here but alot of people also travel independently. We're a very easy state to get around especially the two trips you mentioned above. It's all on the road system.

If you plan this to be your only time to Alaska then I'd say a) because it gets you to Denali. Where else can you see the highest mountain in North America (well of course if she's cooperating and not making her own weather :eek: ) and wildlife all at one time.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Hi Susan,

Thank you fro the advice. Now that you mention it, it just might be cheaper to do it independently and we were hoping the Denali option was better.

Thanks again

DH and I did RCCL cruise and post-land tour last June and loved it. In fact, going back this year and doing everything independent. In making your decision (as so many much more wise individuals than I will tell you on here) consider the amount of time you have and your priorities.

IMO Denali is worthy of at least two days due to the variety and number of activities you can do. We spent one full day going into the park as far as possible and the second day was a white water rafting trip. Both were excellent.

In thinking about priorities you have to decide if you really want to see something (i.e. bears, rivers, mountains, whales, glaciers) and then research which location will provide you the most time and advantage to partake.

I can safely say no matter what - hands down - whatever you do and wherever you go in AK - YOU WILL LOVE IT. I always was a "beach" type girl - AK has been my favorite experience of all time. What was a "once in a lifetime trip" - is about to be repeated as it is in my blood.

ENJOY!

Take some time and read back this board, do your homework. :)

Cruisetours may not be what you think. They never get as far into Denali park as the potential. Understand fully the distances and options. As an example, some tours, only include the worthless Natural History tour (flame away!!!!), only 16 miles of the 90 into the park. I can never rationalize only getting this distance, that is lacking in wildlife potential and scenery compared to all the time and money it takes to get there.

Same with Seward- this city is a gem. Cruisetours usually allow very little if any time here. It is worth a whole day, plus some, for the great touring options.

Factor in time in transit- it is significant, the shorter your tour, the less time at destinations, more on the road or rail. :)

Going independent can offer you way more in seeing all the "small stuff" that is available. Significant savings potential as well.

My Husband and I are cruising on HAL on September 12. We're flying into Seattle and taking a train into Vancouver. We plan on taking the White Pass Summit excursion and haven't booked anything else. Any info on hotels in Seattle and Vancouver and also additional excursions that a child of four would be able to endure?

Archived