Florence/Pisa David & Pisa - Driver Suggestions

We are sailing in June and would like to see both the real David and the leaning tower of Pisa. The cruise line tours do not offer a tour that would allow us to see the real David and the leaning tower and are considering hiring a driver for Florence and Pisa.

Is it reasonable to do both and does anyone have a driver they would recommend?

We are sailing in June and would like to see both the real David and the leaning tower of Pisa. The cruise line tours do not offer a tour that would allow us to see the real David and the leaning tower and are considering hiring a driver for Florence and Pisa.

We sailed on the Carnival Liberty in 2005. We saw Pisa, The real David at the museum and much more of Florence and the surrounding area. We used Paulo of Unforgettabletuscany.com I would think any cruise line would be in port more than enough time to all of this. We even had time for lunch, a bit of Tuscany and a stop for gelato. He got us the resevations for our tickets to see the David, which meant we skipped the long lines. He doesn't go in the museum with you, but did go up with us to get the tickets. He is a very nice man and can do any type of tour you want.

I am also going in June on Crystal Serenity and have hired DriverInRome to see both Pisa and Florence. They are getting us tickets for David.

I have been on tours in Rome and Florence with them before and they are very good.

What ship are you on?

I was on the Carnival Liberty in May 06 and we used Papillion Service Italy and I am using them again this June. The driver picked us up at 8 AM and we drove to Pisa first since I had tower tickets for 9 AM. We did the tower and then drove to Florence. The first stop was on a hill overlooking the city for a photo op. The driver then drove us to museum where the David was located and what I liked about it was our driver knew the people at the front door and she was able to cut the line and get all 8 of us in without having to wait in the long line. After this we did not want to go to the other big museum so I driver found a place to park her van in downtown Florence and we had three hours free time to do what we wanted to do on our own. The only thing different this year our driver has asked us to make our reservations for the Tower of Pisa at 4 PM and we will visit the tower on our way back to the ship.

Was just there in October 2006. Mom (who is 70) and I did what the crew does... we took the shuttle into town, hopped on the city bus, then traveled on the local train.

Sounds a bit confusing, but was a piece of cake. The ship shuttle stop is only 1/2 block from the bus stop. Just told the driver we wanted off at the train station. Ten minutes later, we were buying train tickets. Everyone spoke English, so communication was very easy. Also there are tons for regular tourists around. The whole day (not counting shopping) was less than $50 for both of us.

It was the best tip I had ever received from a room steward. ;-)

Was just there in October 2006. Mom (who is 70) and I did what the crew does... we took the shuttle into town, hopped on the city bus, then traveled on the local train.

Sounds a bit confusing, but was a piece of cake. The ship shuttle stop is only 1/2 block from the bus stop. Just told the driver we wanted off at the train station. Ten minutes later, we were buying train tickets. Everyone spoke English, so communication was very easy. Also there are tons for regular tourists around. The whole day (not counting shopping) was less than $50 for both of us.

Thanks so much for this post, Robin,

I was just agonizing about what to do in Livorno as I just found out that the ship's tour does NOT give you time to go inside the Tower of Pisa or to see the real David. Did you do both those things? If you did, what order did you do them in and did you reserve tickets and times online before you left home? Thanks so much for any more info!

Quick update, we have booked with www.florencetour.com with Paola. She had great reviews from many sources on the CruiseCritic boards.

Great tip,thanks

Quick update, we have booked with www.florencetour.com with Paola. She had great reviews from many sources on the CruiseCritic boards.

I'm sure all the companys/guides mentioned are good. We toured Florence/Pisa with Paola in Oct 05 so I can tell you - you have made a great choice. We were picked up at the port I think about 7:30 - 8:00, we went to Pisa 1st for a quick stop, I'm sure if your desire is to climb the tower, time for that could be arranged. Then on to Florence, our tickets to the Accedemia (David) were pre-arranged & paid for, so there was no waiting in the LONG line. Paola is extremely knowledgable on the art and architecture that you will see.

Have a great trip :)

Archived