Booted from Zuiderdam - 1/15/05

Ralphpea

Sail,

Where were you a month or two ago. I was one of two people making that argument, and we were in the minority. I agree, if HAL cancels the cruise because it's to their financial benefit to charter out the ship, then the PAX with reservations should not suffer any financial hardship, no matter how minor, for HAL's financial gain.

I think that the very least HAL should do in such a case is pay for the airline change fee, and then offer a selection of somewhat higher priced cruises for the "bumped" passenger to select as an alternate.

I think HAL has some sort of disclaimer that they can bump passengers from a cruise if the boat is chartered, and if it's done six months or more out, then I can understand their position. But, surely, the passenger shouldn't be left holding the bag if they made their own air arrangements. HAL should at least pay the change fee for the passenger who selects another sailing.

By the way, that's why I never buy my airline tickets for any trip until about a month or so out ... just in case my plans change and I either can't make the trip or wind up having the dates shuffled around.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Ziggy7, How unfair of you to start name calling! Are you a troll?:(

We were booked on the same cruise and it definitely is true. I very much appreciate Ralphpea giving us a heads up before I had to make up my mind what to do instead.

Thanks Ralph.

Linda

By the way, that's why I never buy my airline tickets for any trip until about a month or so out ... just in case my plans change and I either can't make the trip or wind up having the dates shuffled around.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita,

Don't you wind up with some very expensive tickets waiting that long? Seems to me that you might be better off purchasing ahead of time and occasionally paying the change fee.

Thanks for all the input. We are now booked on the Westerdam to the Western Carribean. We were actually able to get the same cabin cat. for 250 less & 100 on-board credit from HAL, so it all worked out okay.

Based on a story in the local newspaper this past week, there is an even worse problem with Carnival's cruises out of Baltimore. Apparently, Carnival is not handling the overbooking situation very well. Some folks did not know they were bumped until they got to the terminal!

It is unusual for Holland America to switch a sailing with deposited bookings to a charter. They have a responsibility to the deposited passengers to offer them something else in place of the now chartered date.

Those of you that are sailing on this ship and date should contact Holland America or your travel agent.

If you are offered another sailing date and ship and you accept the offer ask if you can have the cost of your airline change fee as an onboard credit. Let your TA negotiate for you. Your TA will know to send your request to the VP of Passenger Services.

I just wanted to add that itinerary isn't a great concern take a look at Celebrity Century for the same dates. (Jan 15) You will probably love that ship and won't have to change airtickets. ;)

Also..I am not sure why but w*w*w*.*i*c*r*u*i*s*e.*c*o*m currently is showing higher ocen-view category #4 cheaper than lower inside rooms. :confused:

Archived