best advice ever!!

xraygal38

I read the best piece of advice here on the cruise critic before we left on our RCI cruise two weeks ago. BRING A PORTABLE DVD PLAYER. i took my 17 month old boy with me and brought a portable dvd player his favorite dvds and some new ones. WOW. it was a lifesaver. not only on the plane but in the cabin and especially at dinner. we let him watch dvds at dinner and he was so good. he was quiet and well behaved. we kept the volume down so only he could hear it and he never disturbed anyone. several parents stopped to say what a good idea it was.

I read the best piece of advice here on the cruise critic before we left on our RCI cruise two weeks ago. BRING A PORTABLE DVD PLAYER. i took my 17 month old boy with me and brought a portable dvd player his favorite dvds and some new ones. WOW. it was a lifesaver. not only on the plane but in the cabin and especially at dinner. we let him watch dvds at dinner and he was so good. he was quiet and well behaved. we kept the volume down so only he could hear it and he never disturbed anyone. several parents stopped to say what a good idea it was.

I love these boards!!!!!!! thank you for sharing...just added it to my to-bring list :D !!

Yup, we have two of them...one for each child. :D

The only thing I can say is BEWARE of stating that you used it in the dining room, here at CC, that is a way to create a firestorm of people saying that they can't believe you brought a DVD player to the DR. :p :eek:

But I am sooo glad you had a wonderful cruise. Welcome back to the real world. :(

Yeah, I guess a kid watching a movie at LOW volume would be much less disturbing to me than a kid screaming and crying and throwing food around. However, I must warn you, I may still give you a dirty look. lol. :D

If there's one thing we've learned from having an autistic child....it's bring the DVD player! We figure we're bound to get dirty looks from people who don't understand how our "normal looking" child can have certain behavioral quirks anyway.

We also bring headphones for the kids so they won't disturb other guests wherever we are. Works like a charm!

The same people who give you dirty looks for bringing a dvd player to the dining room are the same people who don't believe children should be allowed on cruise ships so just ignore them. We've brought dvd players, video ipods and leapster l-max's to dinner to keep our little guy happy and quiet.

Guess I am in the minority, my twin girls are 23 months & we will be cruising with them in 2 weeks. There is no way I would even consider bringing a DVD player into the dining room for them! Even with the sound turned down or head phones. I do think that is rude.

I say go eat in the buffet area or your room if you want to have a TV dinner. It's a formal dining room. I would never consider bringing my girls with a DVD player to a nice restaurant on land, so why do it on a ship?

My girls will sit & eat with us & have nice conversation. Don't get me wrong, they have their moments, they're kids after all. But if they started to fuss it would be "oh dear, Emily or Elise aren't hungry tonight, let's go sleepies".

Guess I am old fashioned and just don't get having to distract kids with TV. :confused:

What is better really? Handing your child a (low volume DVD) when he/she gets restless in the middle of an hour and a half meal or teaching them if they fuss a little they will get their way and be able to leave?

If you are too busy paying attention to what is happening at everyone else's table (DVD player) etc. then are you really enjoying your dining room meal?

We have taken our infant/toddler daughter on 2 cruises, her 3rd will be in May and she has always eaten in the dining room with us. If she acts out we leave. The dining room is so loud to begin with talking, laughing, clinking plates etc I dont think you could even hear a fussing baby or a DVD player unless you were at the same table. I have rarely noticed what is going on at other tables because I am busy enjoying my meal and the company of my tablemates. Carnival is great at placing families with small children at the same tables.

I personally am offended more by loud, drunk, obnoxious adults than I am by children on a cruise.

I welcome the stares because I will stare right back.

Julie

We used to carry a portable DVD player but now we carry a far more versatile item: a good multimedia notebook computer. The computer is about the same (or even lower) weight and can be used to watch movies, but it can also be used to check email, do real work, browse the web and listen to music. And, if you know how to rip your DVDs to your hard disk, you don't have to carry any DVDs with you!

While my kids who are 9 and 10, are old enough that they can sit throught the meal, I personally think that the portable is a great thing to have a long for the younger kids.

On my last cruise Shellie and her extended family,...parents, brothers, sisters, nephews, kids were are the table next to us. The 3-5 year olds watched a DVD a few nights and I can tell you that it was in no way a distraction to the rest of the people in the dining room. The kids were happy and quiet, but also got to spend time with the family at dinner. I seem to remember that they might not have had it on the whole dinner time, but wasn't paying that close attention. Also the rest of the family got to enjoy their dinner together. They didn't use it every night, and some times they did casual dining or only part of the family came to the main dining, but they kind of did a bit of everything to make the cruise a great vacation for the adults and the kids.

The children were neither being spoiled or neglected. It just made a few of the long dinners a bit easier.

A cruise can be a great get together for an extended family, but sometimes you have to be creative as to how to deal with dinner time and little ones.

Times have certainly changed since I was a child and since my DD (who's almost 19) was a toddler. When I was growing up I was taught from a very early age how to sit at a table and not be disruptive. I raised my DD the same way. I started teaching her restaurant manners when she got to the point of being able to sit in a high chair by herself. I would sit and talk with her while we were waiting on our meal just like we do as adults (although she couldn't talk yet), and she would smile and attempt to talk. I would make sure I had a couple of the baby snacks or crackers just in case she tried to get fussy before our meals arrived. I never had any problems with her being disruptive and I never had to leave a restaurant because of her not knowing how to sit still. I never had to tell friends and/or family that I couldn't go out to dinner with them because my child won't sit still (I know a lot of people who don't eat out for that reason). I personally can't see myself taking a DVD player into the dining room but I wouldn't be bothered by someone who felt the need to do that for their child. I don't understand it because I truly feel children need to be taught but I wouldn't be bothered by it.

I do have one question though; if we don't start teaching them table manners when they're babies/toddlers, exactly when do we teach them?

I agree with you that table manners need to be taught. However, I am a pediatric nurse practitioner and I will tell you that different children have different temperaments. The easy going, laid back child will easily be able to sit still and remain quiet during long meals. Even as a baby/toddler they will "behave" because they like to sit back and take everything in. A sensitive child may be more disturbed/distracted by the noises and unfamiliar place of the dining room and are more easily upset. The difficult or "spirited" child is going to have a lot of difficulty with it. They tend to be very active, have short attention spans and do not handle changes in routine very well. It sounds like you had a very easy going child which is why you were able to do all of those things without problems. Other parents with more difficult children would beg to differ.

I agree with you, when children are able to understand concepts such as table manners and follow directions, 3 & up they should be taught and a DVD player should not be used as a "babysitter".

Most restaurants hand out crayons and coloring paper to children for "distraction" at dinner. Is that really much different than watching a DVD as a distraction?

Times have certainly changed since I was a child and since my DD (who's almost 19) was a toddler. When I was growing up I was taught from a very early age how to sit at a table and not be disruptive. I raised my DD the same way. I started teaching her restaurant manners when she got to the point of being able to sit in a high chair by herself. I would sit and talk with her while we were waiting on our meal just like we do as adults (although she couldn't talk yet), and she would smile and attempt to talk. I would make sure I had a couple of the baby snacks or crackers just in case she tried to get fussy before our meals arrived. I never had any problems with her being disruptive and I never had to leave a restaurant because of her not knowing how to sit still. I never had to tell friends and/or family that I couldn't go out to dinner with them because my child won't sit still (I know a lot of people who don't eat out for that reason). I personally can't see myself taking a DVD player into the dining room but I wouldn't be bothered by someone who felt the need to do that for their child. I don't understand it because I truly feel children need to be taught but I wouldn't be bothered by it.

I do have one question though; if we don't start teaching them table manners when they're babies/toddlers, exactly when do we teach them?

I have to agree with the pediatric nurse and say ALL children are different.

Let me tell you a little story. With my first daughter, we took her out to dinner at 4 DAYS old. She was the most well behaved child ever. People used to walk up to the table just to compliment her and her good manners. I used to pat myself on the back for being such a WONDERFUL mother who knew how to teach her child to be a perfect little angle.

THEN, 4 years later my other daughter was born. Same parents. Same discipline style. Taught her the same social manners. And you know what....my youngest blew EVERY preconceived notion that I had as a fabulous/perfect mom out of the water.

It is REALLY hard to get THIS child to pay attention. She is NOT the same as my oldest daughter, not by a long shot.

We do not bring our DVD players into the dining room cause I try to get them fed and head out to the kids clubs asap.

I take my children out to eat at least 5 times/week. And I am not talking about McDonalds...lol. So they have MANY lessons on how to have table manners. But with some children it IS harder than others.

So for those who love to pat themselves on the back for their wonderful parenting skills...God help ya if you ever get a spirited child or grandchild. :D

I have to agree with the pediatric nurse and say ALL children are different.

I agree also; all children are different. Teaching some is going to be more challenging than teaching others. My niece has an 18 month old son. I recently visited them for a couple of days and that little guy completly wore me out :eek:. It just seems like I see so many more kids displaying disruptive behaviour now days than I used to see years ago. :confused:

God help ya if you ever get a spirited child or grandchild. :D

I'm not a grandma yet but the advantage of having a spirited grandchild is we get to send them back to their parents :D.

Guess I am in the minority, my twin girls are 23 months & we will be cruising with them in 2 weeks. There is no way I would even consider bringing a DVD player into the dining room for them! Even with the sound turned down or head phones. I do think that is rude.

I say go eat in the buffet area or your room if you want to have a TV dinner. It's a formal dining room. I would never consider bringing my girls with a DVD player to a nice restaurant on land, so why do it on a ship?

My girls will sit & eat with us & have nice conversation. Don't get me wrong, they have their moments, they're kids after all. But if they started to fuss it would be "oh dear, Emily or Elise aren't hungry tonight, let's go sleepies".

Guess I am old fashioned and just don't get having to distract kids with TV. :confused:

It always cracks me up that the "good" parents whose children sit and color and play with stickers for hours have little girls and not boys, HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!

I think this is why I almost never read these boards anymore.

It always cracks me up that the "good" parents whose children sit and color and play with stickers for hours have little girls and not boys, HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!

I think this is why I almost never read these boards anymore.

Shellie WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN??? I was wondering where you were! Welcome back. :D

And I have to agree, I have 2 little girls but the one little girl is the "boy I never had" :eek: ;)

Everyone has one.... So, Just ignore the ones that are not based on the real world.

I have a few subjects on which I don't post anymore, mostly dress code threads, because I was called a few vile things....

But on parenting, you know even when you are not on a cruise board, there is always someone who will offer you unsolicited advice..... Oh do I remember this one lady at the swimming school when my son was three....she was sure that if I just used a different technique, my high spirited son would be more responsive....and then she went on to tell me how wonderful he children were....

I know I've made few mistakes along the way, but who knows their own kids better than parents.? I spend so much time with my kids, and at 9 and 10 they love the formal dining room, but I can tell you that the same kids would have never sat still for that long just a few years ago.

But what do you do if the whole family wants to do a cruise together and spend quality time together enjoying the wonderful service and vacation value that a cruise ship has to offer... You can't just up and change the childs personality or make them 9 when they are only 3.... so you do special things that you might not do at home to accommodate the child's and the family's needs.... So I have to say that the DVD is the dining room is great.....!!!!

There I said it and firmly stand behind that opinion.

Njsharon,

I agree with you!. Bringing a DVD player to a formal dining room is rude...plain and simple. Same for gameboys, ipods, laptops etc...

It's pretty self-centered as a parent.

I hope you have a great cruise!

To those that think it's appropriate:

Why should anyone be subjected to a flashing screen during their dinner? "But the volume won't bother anyone".....please.

Why not try parenting instead of abdicating it? Isn't that what we sign up for when we become parents? If they become fussy, you leave. If you don't make it through the whole dinner - o well - it's being a parent. Traveling with extended family is great, they can also help entertain a child during an extra long dinner. It's part of family travel.

What's wrong with teaching little ones manners by setting an example for them? My daughter would try to put a napkin on her lap at 10 months (on a cruise)- at age 3 it still lands on the floor. At 3 she knows that only music (ie no TV) is played during meals. She even asks us "how was our day?"

(PS - yes, she does watch TV/DVd's - before a nap or while I'm cooking dinner)

Quiet non-intrusive toys - such as crayons, magna doodles, stickers, etc- are more appropriate for a formal dining venue between courses. Why not enjoy your childs company rather than tune them out for dinner?

Kids do have off days - if they aren't up for a formal setting on a particluar evening- try the buffet or dinner in your room.

Any JMHO.

Have a good day!

Shellie, Opinions are like rear-ends...

Everyone has one.... So, Just ignore the ones that are not based on the real world.

There I said it and firmly stand behind that opinion.

This was a joke ....right?

Archived