7-day vs. Shorter Cruise

Huckleberry

Having just returned from a wonderful voyage aboard the Miracle last Sunday, I’m still going through cruise withdrawal. To deal with this problem, my wife and I have been looking for a summer trip to take – maybe a short one out of Jacksonville. I’m worried that 5 days might not be enough to satisfy my cruise cravings, however. The only two cruises we’ve taken were for a full week on the Miracle and Triumph. Will the shorter vacation on an older ship be a disappointment?

Since you mention Jacksonville, I'm assuming that you are talking about the Celebration. She is a wonderful ship, but given the choice between a 5 day and a 7 day, I'd take the 7 day.

Short cruises are fine, I have done a couple myself, the only down side is that the ships sailing on the shorter iteneraries are usually older ships that really don't compare to the ones that you are probably used to. We are taking a 4 day leaving Monday, but we are going into it knowing that it is not going to be the same experience that we have on the new ships that we are used to.

Look at it this way- any cruise is better than being in drydock :p ! If you are disappointed in your shorter cruise, that just gives you an excuse to book a longer cruise next time. I would go for it, just go into it with an open mind.

I've only been on a 5 day cruise and for me it was just right. Honestly, I was a little tired of eating by day 5, which is entirely my fault I admit. I would like to try a 7 day cruise when one returns to New Orleans.

:) It depends on what you are looking for, we like 5 day cruises. We always take a few days before or after to stay in the city we sail from and enjoy some down time that way. We like seeing different parts of the U.S. sure I can't get to St.Thomas on a 5 day, we'll get there someday.

I do fine with 5 dayers. I am in Atlanta so I can drive to the ports. Sometimes 5 day ones work out better for me than 7 day ones, esp when I am bringing the kids along. Although it seems most people like only the newer ships, I actually had a better time on the jubilee and the fantasy than I did on the triumph. The older ships are just fine, they just have a bit of wear and tear on them.

Although it seems most people like only the newer ships, I actually had a better time on the jubilee and the fantasy than I did on the triumph. The older ships are just fine, they just have a bit of wear and tear on them.

Thanks - You're making me fell a little more positive about the prospect of a 5 day trip. Will you elaborate a bit about the comparison between the older and newer ships? What made you like the Jubilee and Fantasy more than Triumph?

Our 1st cruise was a 7 day, our 2nd cruise was a 6 day, and our next cruise is a 7 day. I wouldn't want to go any shorter than 6 even though we were thinking of a 5 day when we thought dd and a friend were coming along. Didn't work out they're not coming so we elected to do another 7 day. 4 or less would to me be a tease, 5 probably would too, but at the same time, would be better than none. We prefer the longer ones.

Will the shorter vacation on an older ship be a disappointment?

Five days are for the most part enough to make the cruise blues go away. As for the smaller ships, they have a lot of advantages such as shorter lines and more personalization between the guest and crew.

Having just returned from a wonderful voyage aboard the Miracle last Sunday, I’m still going through cruise withdrawal. To deal with this problem, my wife and I have been looking for a summer trip to take – maybe a short one out of Jacksonville. I’m worried that 5 days might not be enough to satisfy my cruise cravings, however. The only two cruises we’ve taken were for a full week on the Miracle and Triumph. Will the shorter vacation on an older ship be a disappointment?

If all you can do is a 5 day that is better than nothing. But, it you can do a 7 or a nice 8 day southeren.:D. Just have to realize the ship will be older and more worn but, you are on a ship. I happen to like the Fatasy class that are now deligated to the shorter cruises.

I would book one no less than 5 days. I have done the 3 and 4 day and neither are long enough when you factor in the afternoon sailing and EARLY AM docking. I think I could do a 5 day and enjoy it.

Thanks - You're making me fell a little more positive about the prospect of a 5 day trip. Will you elaborate a bit about the comparison between the older and newer ships? What made you like the Jubilee and Fantasy more than Triumph?

The Fantasy was the prettiest ship and had a great itiniary and good vibe on it. No lines for anything, plenty of chairs up on the decks and good food. The jubillee was just all around fun. The triumph seemed to be a bit to sterile, had long lines for everthing and just not as fun. Keep in mind though that I took the triumph right out of drydock.

We liked the Fantasy and Fascination better than Glory.

We found the service better on the smaller ships. The Fantasy class ships seem to have more outdoor space in addition to the pool area. I think this is because there are more balconies on the Conquest class vs. Fantasy class ships.

It is easier to walk around the smaller ships.

We also can get away more easily for a 4 or 5 day cruise than a 7 day cruise.

We also figure we will be closer to Platinum status if we travel more frequently on shorter cruises.:p

5 days might be to long if your mil is coming with you!!! In our October cruise my dear mil is going to be with us. She is going to be a #1 cruise CRITIC. :eek: She thinks the music in church is too loud!

If you've done a 7 day already i would not recommend going on a cruise shorter than 5 days. After the second night on a five day you already start to feel like the cruise will be over soon and that is depressing. The Inspiration is a great older ship if you need a recomendation

I'm doing a 4 day and 7 day due to limited vacation time. I was going to go to Vegas, but decided on the 4 day cruise - I have work convention in Vegas in the summer, so I'm going to fly in the weekend before. The 4 day will be just enough to give me a little R&R. I won't do a 5 day because if I'm going to do a 5 day, I may as well do a 7 day - I'd miss just as much work.

Archived