Conquest class vs Fantasy class

Grits53

Now that I've cruised on both, I wanted to put my 2 cents worth in about these two classes of Carnival ships. Prior to last week, I had only cruised on the Conquest. I really can't think of anything to complain about on the Conquest! Last week, I cruised on the Fantasy. I want to say that although it wasn't a "Conquest class cruise", I did have a good time, for the most part. But there were things that just weren't up to par with the Conquest.

Comparing the two ships, here are the noticeable differences I found:

More side to side sway on the Fantasy, which resulted in seasickness. Both ships have the bouncing movement in rough seas, but the Fantasy definitely sways more than the Conquest, and that's what makes me sick.

No regard for dress code in the dining room on the Fantasy. I don't mind seeing people dressed casually in the dining room on non-formal nights. To each his/her own. However, there was a large percentage of people wearing shorts and flip flops or blue jeans and sneakers to dinner, and I couldn't help thinking that it just wasn't right to ignore the rules every night....

Definitely unorganized on the Fantasy....getting on and off at ports was extremely slow. (However, embarkation at New Orleans was easier and much quicker than at Galveston.)

We never left or arrived on time at any port on the Fantasy. When we were on the Conquest, it was very prompt every time.

Past guest party at 5:00 on a port day on the Fantasy? What's up with that?? (We missed it.)

Kids running everywhere on the Fantasy. Rarely saw them on the Conquest.

The 5 day'er seems to be geared more towards the party crowd.

In other ways, the ships are equal. They are both kept clean, and the crew are friendly and do their jobs well. Wait staff and cabin stewards were great on both ships. Food was essentially the same, except that I did notice larger portion sizes on the Fantasy.

WiFi worked most of the time in my cabin (V15) on the Fantasy. I have not taken my laptop on the Conquest yet, but I understand WiFi works throughout the ship on that class.

The Fantasy is easier to find your way around in, and I like the layout of it much better than the Conquest. As for interior appearance, I like the Fantasy better than the Conquest.

Bottom line is, I will stick with the 7 day'ers (or longer) and bigger ships in the future. I repeat, I had a good time on the Fantasy. But I like the Conquest better. I also felt cheated when my cruise ended after 5 days. I wanted to say, "Wait! I'm not finished yet!!"

I have now nixed my idea of taking several short cruises. I'll just take fewer but longer cruises in the future. Please don't think I made this post to complain about my Fantasy cruise last week! I simply wanted to put some info out there for people who might be considering trying a smaller ship than what they've taken before. As has been said, any cruise is better than no cruise! But if you can choose a 7 day, go for it.

Well I'm the opposite..I've been on Fantasy and Spirit Class Ships, not on Conquest Class, but I will at the end of the month, can't wait.

Now that I've cruised on both, I wanted to put my 2 cents worth in about these two classes of Carnival ships. Prior to last week, I had only cruised on the Conquest. I really can't think of anything to complain about on the Conquest! Last week, I cruised on the Fantasy. I want to say that although it wasn't a "Conquest class cruise", I did have a good time, for the most part. But there were things that just weren't up to par with the Conquest.

Comparing the two ships, here are the noticeable differences I found:

More side to side sway on the Fantasy, which resulted in seasickness. Both ships have the bouncing movement in rough seas, but the Fantasy definitely sways more than the Conquest, and that's what makes me sick.

No regard for dress code in the dining room on the Fantasy. I don't mind seeing people dressed casually in the dining room on non-formal nights. To each his/her own. However, there was a large percentage of people wearing shorts and flip flops or blue jeans and sneakers to dinner, and I couldn't help thinking that it just wasn't right to ignore the rules every night....

Definitely unorganized on the Fantasy....getting on and off at ports was extremely slow. (However, embarkation at New Orleans was easier and much quicker than at Galveston.)

We never left or arrived on time at any port on the Fantasy. When we were on the Conquest, it was very prompt every time.

Past guest party at 5:00 on a port day on the Fantasy? What's up with that?? (We missed it.)

Kids running everywhere on the Fantasy. Rarely saw them on the Conquest.

The 5 day'er seems to be geared more towards the party crowd.

In other ways, the ships are equal. They are both kept clean, and the crew are friendly and do their jobs well. Wait staff and cabin stewards were great on both ships. Food was essentially the same, except that I did notice larger portion sizes on the Fantasy.

WiFi worked most of the time in my cabin (V15) on the Fantasy. I have not taken my laptop on the Conquest yet, but I understand WiFi works throughout the ship on that class.

The Fantasy is easier to find your way around in, and I like the layout of it much better than the Conquest. As for interior appearance, I like the Fantasy better than the Conquest.

Bottom line is, I will stick with the 7 day'ers (or longer) and bigger ships in the future. I repeat, I had a good time on the Fantasy. But I like the Conquest better. I also felt cheated when my cruise ended after 5 days. I wanted to say, "Wait! I'm not finished yet!!"

I have now nixed my idea of taking several short cruises. I'll just take fewer but longer cruises in the future. Please don't think I made this post to complain about my Fantasy cruise last week! I simply wanted to put some info out there for people who might be considering trying a smaller ship than what they've taken before. As has been said, any cruise is better than no cruise! But if you can choose a 7 day, go for it.

And I've also been on a Fantasy class ship and will be on my first Conquest class ship in Aug so I shall see what's up then. I did have alot of fun on the Imagination, that's what got me hooked on cruising... :D

So was Costa Maya your first port day? I guess we will miss the past guest party too:(

Yes, Costa Maya was our first port day, but the past guest party was on the Cozumel day. Since everything seemed to run late on the Fantasy, we were late getting back onboard at Cozumel. Even though we went to the tender at 3:30, it took forever to board. Then we had to stand in line in the rain for a long time at the ship and finally got back to our cabin at about 4:45. Two women with the drowned rat look and 15 min. to get ready for the party just does not work out. They should move the past guest party to a sea day.

Archived