Crown Sail Away from NYC

aussieonwater

We are going on our first cruise (Crown Princess) 5/21 - 5/30. It is an Eastern Caribbean cruise including Bermuda. How is the weather that time of year? Will it be warm enough to sit on deck (the first 2 days when sailing from NY? While in Bermuda (5/28) we are thinking of doing some kayaking -- Does anyone know if it is warm enough that time of year to do something like that?

The starboard side is absolutely the way to go. The Crown backs into the pier and then sails straight out, no turning required, and the starboard balconies have a lovely view of the Statue and also downtown Manhattan. We sailed last August, and spent the whole afternoon on our balcony, enjoying the views and the boats in the harbor. Port side only looks out onto the pier and Brooklyn.

You're absolutely correct -- I was on the Crown last October in a starboard balcony. Definitely a "WOW!" factor when I opened the drapes and saw the view -- but The Lady ain't that close, even with a zoom lens! The ship cam view when the Crown is in port makes you think you could "reach out and touch" -- but that's just not gonna happen. She's unrecognizable in all my pictures -- unless I point out what that little speck is. But the best is going under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. Luckily I had my cellphone camera in hand when we went under -- absolutely beautiful; it was already dark so the bridge was all lit up. Magnificent view -- definitely not to be missed!

We are going on our first cruise (Crown Princess) 5/21 - 5/30. It is an Eastern Caribbean cruise including Bermuda. How is the weather that time of year? Will it be warm enough to sit on deck (the first 2 days when sailing from NY? While in Bermuda (5/28) we are thinking of doing some kayaking -- Does anyone know if it is warm enough that time of year to do something like that?

so are we.....you should join our roll call....there are about 50 of us

Everyone is correct – the skyline is on the port side and the Lady is on the starboard. You don’t get too close to the Statue but you can certainly see and admire her. If you want the best place to be at sail away I’ll tell you what we discovered – thanks to another poster here. You can go to the observation deck above the bridge. It is outside and it’s windy up there but the view is 100% worth it. (Bring your wine with you; we all had drinks.) Because it’s the first day most people have yet to discover it so you are likely to have less than 15 people up there and the deck is huge with perfect views in all directions so you can really see everything. The best part is sailing under the bridge! Because it is not covered you can literally just look up and see it and it’s a lot closer than it looks as you approach it. We sailed on October 27th so the wind up there was cold but still, none of us would leave – there was no way we could miss a thing.

As the cruise progresses more and more people discover that deck so it isn’t as private. Enjoy it while you can – and I can’t imagine anything better than when you’re sailing out of NYC.

Archived