Probably a Little Late, But

Stircrzy

What happens, if anything, if you book directly with Carnival on their website and later see the same CAT, same sailing at a (much) lower price?

Do they issue onboard credit, laugh at how dumb you were, or what?

Anybody had this happen?

Does Carnival really lower their prices? I've only seen prices raise. I'm interested in how a TA can offer a lower rate than Carnival. I've run into one TA that was lower, only because the TA discounted the cruise by their commision amount, only to add it back in during booking (actually, it a an on-line site).

Buyer beware!

Would someone provide me with info how a TA can offer a cruise cheaper than the CCL website?

[quote name='VentureMan_2000']Does Carnival really lower their prices? I've only seen prices raise. I'm interested in how a TA can offer a lower rate than Carnival. I've run into one TA that was lower, only because the TA discounted the cruise by their commision amount, only to add it back in during booking (actually, it a an on-line site).

Buyer beware!

Would someone provide me with info how a TA can offer a cruise cheaper than the CCL website?[/QUOTE]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=darkorchid]It just depends. Some TA's will cut their commission to lower the fare. That is generally when you will find them lower than Carnival.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=darkorchid][/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=darkorchid]Yes they do lower the prices. Many times the prices will go up and up until right after the 70 day deadline then they will slash the prices to fill up the ship. You've just got to keep watching![/color][/font][/b]

I just got off of the phone with a PVP at Carnival. He says that the price that I saw this morning does not include the "extra" charges, and that ALL TA's get the same price from Carnival that people booking online receive. The difference is in the port charges, pre-paid gratuities, taxes, and insurance or in the TA discounting his/her commission for a more attractive price.

So...guess the Capt'n gets to keep his spare room...

I had never booked a cruise online with Carnival before. I had always used a local TA in the past.

Thanks for your help!

[quote name='VentureMan_2000']Does Carnival really lower their prices? I've only seen prices raise. I'm interested in how a TA can offer a lower rate than Carnival. I've run into one TA that was lower, only because the TA discounted the cruise by their commision amount, only to add it back in during booking (actually, it a an on-line site).

Buyer beware!

Would someone provide me with info how a TA can offer a cruise cheaper than the CCL website?[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm a TA and booked an allotment of 50 cabiins on a certain ship and sailing one year away. Six months later Carnival's individual reservation rate has gone up by $100 per person. That has no effect on my contracted group rates. Now I'm $100 per person cheaper than Carnival for whatever number of cabins I have remaining in my allotment. Happens all of the time.

They don't always offer to match the price which is opposite of what I've heard. I'm on the Legend for Xmas and found our extended balcony room $200 cheaper (well $100 really after all I'm getting a $100 shipboard credit already).

When I called my PVP he said that I was getting Carnival's absolutely lowest prices and if someone offered it cheaper I should just switch my booking to them.

Thought that was a bit rude, especially since up until then he had been nothing but extremely helpful!

So I'm still contemplating on switching it if the TA can still get me the room $100 cheaper :) Heck more fou fous for me!!

I did find a rate that was cheaper than Carnivals(about 300 cheaper with travel insurance include, but no flights), contacted my PVP who said that they could not match it and noted he would be more than happy to begin the reservation and then transfer it to this other travel club. My PVP to date had been very helpfuland I didn't want him to lose booking credit so we did that and the transaction went through very smoothly, so far, we haven't been on our cruise yet. Actually the travel insurance was almost 200 cheaper through this company as well.(for all passengers)

I'm only 24 days from sailing, so don't think I can do anything about the price now. It's made me think twice before booking directly with Carnival again, though.

The TA I've always used in the past has sold out to a large travel company with some bad reviews, so I'll be looking for a new agent now.

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my original post.

Archived