Just back from the PG

kdj

Hubby and I just got off the 3/23 7 day cruise through the Society Islands. We did a 2 day pre-cruise in an OWB at the Tahiti IC.

Just some thoughts that I wish I'd heard while I was planning my trip/packing.

The OWB are awesome to stay in if you love to snorkel (bring your own mask and "tube", but leave your flippers at home and get them on the PG--they have great equipment) and have some privacy. Husband and I spent most of our time in the bungalow, and I was surprised at how few people were out swimming. Lots of peace and quiet was enjoyed those days. Also, we were originally assigned OWB #501, but asked to be moved, when we saw that when we went out on our deck/platform, all eyes from the nearby resturant watched us...yuck.

Finally, I have read on these board that the beds at the IC's bungalows were rock hard...I thought, "what a whiner"...I'm here to eat my words! I'm warning you, prepare yourself for FIRM...we've never laughed so hard as when we'd sit on the bed and almost "bounce" off!

As stated above, we went at the end of March...of the 9 days we were there, it rained most of the day, 2 1/2 days....most of the days were overcast, but thankfully there were 2 or 3 days that were sunny with some clouds. It rained for a brief time, at least once a day, every day. The temp was 86 degrees and 70 to 80 percent humidity. Hot and either looking to be in the water or for the shade with a breeze, or the A/C. It was fine, but I think if I were to go again, I'd choose to go in May. It was a bit frustrating to be in paradise, and have it be too rainy to want to get off the ship (Sunday and Monday), or overcast(Tue, Wed, Thurs)....but, you know how unpredictable weather is...!

Hubby and I splurged and got a balcony stateroom. We love having one. This time, however, I was actually disappointed to have done so...why? because our stateroom was directly above the tender boats (#715) and most days, those tenders are going all day, and some days, even late into the night...and the exaust fumes and noise from the tenders, made it no fun to be on deck,...so, if you can control it, you might want to carefully select your balcony as far away from the tenders as you can.

This cruise is great if you want to get to bed early/after dinner so you can be up early the next morning to hit the island. If however, you like quality entertainment/a show/great music to wind up the day with, it was my and Hubby's opinion that the PG was truly the worst quality of entertainment on the seas. They mean well, and the local talent they book are charming, but really, not the quality I've been spoiled with on Princess....(which is the ONLY thing that I liked better about Princess over the PG! ) .The PG excells in so, so many things...the crew is the very best I've ever encountered. The ship is beautifully taken care of. They are punctual and very thorough in what they do. They really do do all they can to have you be happy. The food was so good, I left several pounds heavier. I loved their respectable yet unstuffy dress code. So many great things...but, the one huge disappointment was wanting to be entertained on board...no go. This is not to knock the ship, I just want to express my experience/opinion, so that if it is helpful to anyone in choosing or preparing for a cruise, they can have my experience among others to sift through.

Oh, and one final thought...I recall thinking that "Insect Repellent" was a wierd thing to be on a cruise packing list, but while visiting the temples near the Belveder on Moorea, I sure wish I had packed some!

Bon Voyage Everyone! I hope you have a wonderful cruise ahead of you!

-KDJ

We were on the March 3rd 2 week Marquesas sailing and the members of Siglo told us their contract will keep them on the ship until at least July. Amy Abler was the pianist and she was far less than entertaining. There was a jazz clarinet player -- Pete Neighbor -- onboard as well. He performed twice during our 14 days, and he was wonderful.

[snip]

This cruise is great if you want to get to bed early/after dinner so you can be up early the next morning to hit the island. If however, you like quality entertainment/a show/great music to wind up the day with, it was my and Hubby's opinion that the PG was truly the worst quality of entertainment on the seas. They mean well, and the local talent they book are charming, but really, not the quality I've been spoiled with on Princess....(which is the ONLY thing that I liked better about Princess over the PG! ) .The PG excells in so, so many things...the crew is the very best I've ever encountered. The ship is beautifully taken care of. They are punctual and very thorough in what they do. They really do do all they can to have you be happy. The food was so good, I left several pounds heavier. I loved their respectable yet unstuffy dress code. So many great things...but, the one huge disappointment was wanting to be entertained on board...no go. This is not to knock the ship, I just want to express my experience/opinion, so that if it is helpful to anyone in choosing or preparing for a cruise, they can have my experience among others to sift through.

Did they have deck parties in the evenings? I read that they seem to have them fairly frequently at least in some older reviews. (Before the move to all inclusive.)

What kind of entertainment did they have? Dancing? Lectures? On the Zenith my DH and I liked nothing better than to go to Michael's club, have a drink and listen to the piano player.

I was also thinking about doing some star gazing at night? How lit up is the ship? Any chance of a dark area on board to see the stars?

Oh, and one final thought...I recall thinking that "Insect Repellent" was a wierd thing to be on a cruise packing list, but while visiting the temples near the Belveder on Moorea, I sure wish I had packed some!

Bon Voyage Everyone! I hope you have a wonderful cruise ahead of you!

-KDJ

I was wondering if I needed long hiking pants for the "Trails of the Ancients?" Or are you really dealing more with mosquitoes and flying insects rather than ticks or spiders?

Also did they have snorkel vests on board or will I have to bring my own?

It sounds like you had a great time no matter the weather.

Caroline

I don't remember a lot of evening deck parties. There's the disco, and the evening show. Most of the deck parties that I remember are during the day.

Can't comment on the Trails of the Ancients walk, but I have walked around some of that area, and I think it's mainly mosquitoes you have to worry about. I don't think there's much that's poisonous around. Long pants would definitely be a drag--it's pretty muggy.

KDJ,

Thanks for your informative and honest report. :) You posted some great last minute tips that I will heed. We will be leaving in one week for our 11 days aboard the PG. This will be our first trip to that part of the world so all information is appreciated, especially mosquito info. We just don't have a bug problem where we live so it is good to be forewarned.

Early to bed sounds really good right now, we are both frazzeled with all the little details of getting ready for a long trip. I don't know what we will think after a few days aboard and we are rested.

Did they have a dance band of any sort? I have heard that Slingo is good, were they on board?

Ski

For the "ancient" excursion, please wear long pants and study shoes. I saw a young lady with some slinky stripy heel sandles (1") got send back/ refuse onto the excursion. Yes, you will be in the "jungle" and Mark will stop and talk for a while. Any time you stand still there is a chance of bugs attack.

We had long sleeve shirt, pants, hiking stick, hiking shoes and hats on. Oh, camel back too. A very good work out :)

Yes, snorkel vest avalible, you will get it when you pick up your snorkel & fins in the begining of the cruise. It is BRIGHT YELLOW!!!

Great post KDJ

On same cruise and have some points similar.

Aside from Silgo, who we loved, the entertainment was pretty non existant. The cabaret singer (Seana) was pretty awful we thought (others may disagree).

We are in our fifties and not looking for really wild evenings but as we live in tropics, the water sports, though enjoyable, soon became repetitive for us. Very disappointed in the lack of lectures etc as we really enjoyed the programs last year on Voyager.

In retrospect, probably wrong itinerary for us as the days anchored wore a bit thin. We enjoy sea days more than we thought. Have sailed South Pacific once many years ago and probably now would not go again.

On the positive side, the crew and PG lived up to expectations ++. The new bedding and so comfortable bed were great. Laundry service tops and prompt. Food, wines etc, we thought great with only one or two minor exceptions. Enjoyed the Verandah menu enormously.

Moorea Pearl Resort in a Garden Bungalow with plunge pool was a delight for 2 nights prior and car rental was just outside. Enjoyed our 2 circumnavigations and one crossing via the Belvedere. Flight from PPT to Moorea was An Experience! Ferry back easier on the nerves.

Just double checked my 'Passages' Wendy.

We missed one by Schneider on tourism and environment as we were on Bora Bora sunset catamaran tour. Poole's 'Dolphins and Whales' was on but the one we were really interested in by Eddowes on Ancient Tahiti was cancelled out at last minute.

Cook cruises and Bounty did not feature.

They had seminars on pearls.

As I said, probably not the best choice of itinerary from OUR perspective, we misssed the extra programs featured on 'Circle of Interest' last time and on reflection it was the days at sea that provided the best. All boils down to individual tastes in the end and as this was only our fourth cruise, I guess we are just getting our preferences sorted out.

Archived