How early would you schedule your return flight?

Hi, all! I've only been on 2 cruises, and one did not involve flying home. I'm at a loss trying to figure out how long it will take (and transportation to the airport, as well) to get off the ship (NOS) in Fort Lauderdale, get to the airport, and be able to make our flight. We're a family of 4, probably going to book with Jet Blue, and returning to Newark. It seems that the choices are either a 1:25 pm flight, or a 5:30pm flight. I'd much rather take the 1:25pm flight, but I'm not sure there will be enough time. What do you experienced cruisers have to say? I know this is probably a dumb question, but I need some help here! Thanks in advance! BTW, our return flight would be on a Thursday.

Usually, they want you off the ship no later than 10am, and most are off earlier. I don't know what it's like to get to the airport from the port, but it seems like you would have plenty of time.

D

1:25 is plenty late. The last two times I flew out I was at the airport before 10 AM. The first time I was nervous too, so I booked a 3:30 PM over a 12:30 and got stuck at the airport an extra 3 hours, not a fun way to end a vacation.

That flight time is fine, you should be at FLL in more than enough time, this with the disclaimer that there always can be a problem with immigration at disembarkation (but, on the cruises we've been on, we've never run into this issue).

Depending on your color tag, I wouldn't be surprised if you arrived at FLL between 10 and 10:30. A Thursday departure out of FLL should be far less busy than on weekends, when cruise ships let out many thousands of passengers for flights home.

Our last cruise we had a 11:00 flight out of FLL. We got the early colored tags and was at the airport, thru security and seated at our gate waiting for our plane by alittle after 9:30. I would not recommend scheduling a flight that early on a regular basis, but it can be done. 1:30 should be a breeze.

Archived