Victoria - walking to town?

We will be in Victoria on a Saturday in June on the Noordam. from 6-midnight. Is it a long walk to Gov't street? Is it worth the walk, shops? pubs? etc...

We also have interest in the Gardens, Castle and the Empress Hotel. On another thread I read that the Gardens are a 45 minute bus trip on way. Will the fire works be held on 6/16?

How far is the Castle and Hotel from the dock? Do you recommend taking the ships excursion for these?

Thanks, d

The walk from Ogden Point to Government Street is about 15 to 20 minutes. The Inner Harbour is a lovely place to spend some time, lots of things to see and places to eat. The fireworks at Butcharts don't start until July but they are still worth a visit. I presume when you ask about the "hotel", you're talking about the Empress - it's on the Inner Harbour so well within walking distance. Castle is not within walking distance. If it were up to me, I would take the ship's tour of Butchart Gardens.

Butchart Gardens are spectacular- if of interest. :) http://www.butchartgardens.com/main.php

In your timeframe, most probably a ship tour would be the best option.

There are also shuttle buses that run from Odgen Point to the Inner Harbor. The Empress Hotel faces the Inner Harbor.

The shuttle that runs to just outside the Empress to/from the dock is the way to go but it is walkable. (Me 30 mins)

Downtown is right at the inner harbour where you will be dropped.

Lots of shops but I'd check on summertime hours on a Saturday night. Maybe not all open. ??

Gardens are wonderful and I second the ships tour due to your time in Port.

we were going to walk, but the shuttle was right there and so easy. as we drove through the area we would have been walking around, it was all condos, houses and apartments...nothing to see until you get closer to the inner harbor. street entertainers were around, 1 with a huge crowd down by the harbor. others on every corner, saw several really interesting, but $$, restaurants i would like to try. shops were assorted, several with imports from scotland and ireland. we should have done more walking around, but we were there late in the season, dark at 7pm and FIL was on the ship, alone. rest of the family stayed around and shopped.

Archived