Uniworld in Europe - Email alternatives?

KarlS

We just got access to the "Cruise Companion and Shore Excursions" booklet for our upcoming Vienna to Amsterdam "European Serenade" cruise that departs the States on May 10th. The booklet still mentions there's an email facility aboard (River Duchess) when there's a signal available. We know from our experiences last year cruising River Duchess ("Tulips" - Amsterdam to Antwerp) the email terminals aboard never worked during the entire cruise, and we were told they hadn't worked for weeks before our cruise either. Our cruise manager last year was terrific pointing out on a map where local on-shore 'Net cafes were located, but only once during our cruise did we find an ashore facility open/available when we had free time (in the evenings, or when not on a Uniworld sponsored excursion). We just heard from a reliable source, the on-board email facility still doesn't work, so we've got to figure out some other way to get in touch with family back home if we can't find a 'Net cafe ashore.

What have you all done to keep in touch when email isn't available for 14 days? We don't need daily email "fixes", but we need to check on parental units and house/pet sitters once in awhile while we're gone. Thanks.

...Karl

We just got access to the "Cruise Companion and Shore Excursions" booklet for our upcoming Vienna to Amsterdam "European Serenade" cruise that departs the States on May 10th. The booklet still mentions there's an email facility aboard (River Duchess) when there's a signal available. We know from our experiences last year cruising River Duchess ("Tulips" - Amsterdam to Antwerp) the email terminals aboard never worked during the entire cruise, and we were told they hadn't worked for weeks before our cruise either. Our cruise manager last year was terrific pointing out on a map where local on-shore 'Net cafes were located, but only once during our cruise did we find an ashore facility open/available when we had free time (in the evenings, or when not on a Uniworld sponsored excursion). We just heard from a reliable source, the on-board email facility still doesn't work, so we've got to figure out some other way to get in touch with family back home if we can't find a 'Net cafe ashore.

What have you all done to keep in touch when email isn't available for 14 days? We don't need daily email "fixes", but we need to check on parental units and house/pet sitters once in awhile while we're gone. Thanks.

...Karl

Karl - Like you, we needed to be 'reachable' if something happened while we traveled. When we originally went to Europe we got a GSM phone & account from MOBAL (http://www.mobalrental.com/testimonials.asp) which only worked outside the US and billed us by the # minutes used. We had also consiered Telestial's 'return call' service because of its low cost (http://www.telestial.com/). On our next trip we got a SIM from MOBAL to insert in my Cingular GSM phone. Most recently we have just used Cingular's international roaming service since my phone number never changes and the incoming call charge was similar to MOBAL's. I have learned (the hard way) to leave the phone off and just check voicemail at reasonable intervals.

Some laptops contain Cingular phones which can connect to their broadband wireless internet network for about $70/month. $$!!

WIT

Most recently we have just used Cingular's international roaming service.

Thanks for your reply, WIT. That's a great idea. We already have Cingular ("The New AT&T"... (that's a GOOD thing??)) as our cellular provider, so I'll just add the International roaming capability to my cell account.

...Karl

~~~We bought the mobile phone that Rick Steves recommends $49 calls charged to your credit card ~~ it was perfect the name escapes me right now I'll ask Keith when he gets back

We were on the River Queen in Oct. "Castles along the Rhine"

Our CD was very good about the Internet places we also no to go to the train stations always one around

Have a great trip:o

Cindy

Cindy,

How was your cruise and what did you think of the River Queen. We are on the Legendary Rhine cruise this summer, and I would like to know what the River Queen was like. Did you do the Rudesheim Dinner and if so was it worth it. Do you remember where the ship docked in Amsterdam? Any review of your cruise would be appreciated.

Dennis

P.S. As far as phones, the best way is to have your own phone's sim unlocked for international roaming as stated below. I have a T-Moble phone and it works great in Europe and it is a lot cheaper that the MOBAL service when you count the price of the phone.

Hi Dennis

~~ we had the best time on the R Q she is older but quiet a "lady" food was A+ and service too our CD Rick was very informative

our cabin bottom deck , with water lapping at our portholes , no problem for us~~ even though I counted every lock we went through :mad:

Yes ! Yes! we had dinner in Rudesheim was well worth the price , it was so much fun , only 49 went from our group`` there were other groups ~~ Viking had a big bunch I write travel articles for our paper I could send you my review :confused:

we didn't have Amsterdam as a port ~~ Brussels to Basel

~~we will cruise with Uniworld again next fall < France >

Cindy

Thanks for your reply, WIT. That's a great idea. We already have Cingular ("The New AT&T"... (that's a GOOD thing??)) as our cellular provider, so I'll just add the International roaming capability to my cell account.

...Karl

Karl - Cingular calls from overseas sound better than locally here in Chicago. Gets great volume and crystal clear. I wish they'd put up a few more GSM towers over here.

WIT

Karl - Cingular calls from overseas sound better than locally here in Chicago. Gets great volume and crystal clear. I wish they'd put up a few more GSM towers over here.

WIT

I know what you mean, WIT. Again, thanks for the idea to get the Cingular International Roaming feature added to my Cingular GSM RAZR.

Thanks Cindy,

This is our third cruise with Uniworld. Rick was our CD on the Chistmas Market cruise and was great. We always get the bottom deck, as I would rather spend money on other things. Sounds like we will do the Rudesheim dinner. I would be happy to read your review. You can email me at dennisunderwood@sbcglobal.net. Thanks.

Dennis

Hi Dennis~~

Small world we both had Rick I was so wound up at the dinner I asked Rick to dance ~~:) the Christmas market cruise must have been wonderful I will email the reivew lots of chatter about the ports you may not be stopping

Cindy

• 1 month later...

Hi seababe, it looks like we are on the Carib. Princess Sept. 16. 07 also.

There is a Cruise Critic board for that cruise, why don't you join us, we would enjoy having imput from you.

We are cruising on the River Queen in July, hope the weather is good. We cruised Uniworld last year & totally enjoyed our cruise, that is why we are back again this year.

Tall One

WIT. Again, thanks for the idea to get the Cingular International Roaming feature added to my Cingular GSM RAZR.

Just wanted to let folks know my Cingular GSM RAZR phone with International Roaming activated worked just great in Austria, Germany, and the Netherlands this past two weeks on our Uniworld River Duchess cruise!

...Karl

Hi: I usually use the internet cafe on the ships, but I am wondering if there will be a problem on the Tolstoy. We leave for the Russian River Cruise in July. Does anyone have any idea of the cost for the calls that are charged to your credit cad? I think that in Russia the only internet cafes might be in the bigger cities. I remember getting the international calling card from AT&T when we traveled through Europe. They didn't have the account set up when we left and I was charged over $400 for just three or four calles totaling 14 minutes. When I got the bill I called AT&T with the confirmation nuber for the account and the bill was corrected - total amount $8.17....big difference! So, before I get an international phone I need help in finding out what the cost of the calls are. Any ideas out there?

If you have a GSM phone, it will work in Russia. We had no problems using our T Mobile phone on our river cruise. Be warned than rates from Russia are much higher than the rest of Europe, something like $5-6.00/minute. The phone company's website will have the rates.

Thanks Unberwoob. Funny how we can't wait to get away from kids, faxes, voicemail, e-mail - counting down the days...then go into anxiety attacks when we can't connect! I will check the website and see just what the rates are. We did use international calling cards in China, but then we were in different hotels every few days, so getting to a public phone wasn't a problem. Somehow, we feel safer just knowing we are can connect if we need to.

WIT: Just wanted to let folks know my Cingular GSM RAZR phone with International Roaming activated worked just great in Austria, Germany, and the Netherlands this past two weeks on our Uniworld River Duchess cruise!

...Karl

Welcome back Karl! I think the convenience of the folks back home not having to find a new phone number when it is needed is the determining factor .

WIT

Archived