AMEX Platinum Perks

ciaobella

We are so disappointed in HAL! We were on a Baltic cruise last year and received a $300 shipboard credit, dinner for two in the Pinnacle, and a bottle of wine from AMEX. We started out in a cabin with a porthole and ended up in a cabin on deck 4 with a big window - all good! However, I just went on the Oosterdam - no shipboard credit, no Pinnacle dinner, just a bottle of champagne, and I was in a Verandah balcony cabin. They said there were no amenities because we booked the "Friends and Family" rate. I am booked on the Westerdam this summer - a Verandah balcony cabin - and have been told that there is also no AMEX onboard credit, just dinner in the Pinnacle and that now the onboard credit is only if you book a suite. I have traveled on Cunard and Regent in different levels of cabin and have always received the Platinum amenities. I book early and also get the discount for doing this. It appears that HAL is "picking and choosing" how it will apply these benefits depending on how a cruise is selling, and I don't think this is fair. I don't think this is the case with other cruise lines. I called AMEX and they said you get either the onboard credit or a two-cabin upgrade. Well, what if there isn't a cabin into which you can upgrade? In that case, I think you should get the credit! I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this for HAL cruises.

Thanks - Ciao!

Shipboard credit is not available for all category cabins and never has been on HAL. There is a two level upgrade OR shipboard credit. We get the $150 pp (maximum $300) for every cruise and it is confirmed for all of our upcoming cruises because we are in "S" Suites.

In order to get the shipboard credit, your TA (not you), must contact AmEx and get a tracking number. That number must be transmitted to HAL in order for you to get the credit. If you have booked with an agency other than AmEx, most agencies now must pay a yearly fee (that covers all clients---not for each client) that is about $1,000. It is possible your disappointment should be directed at your TA and not HAL. They may not have contacted AmEx and/or they may not have paid the required fee and may not be informing you of all this pertinent information.

We receive the complimentary bottle of champagne for using our AmEx Platinum card to pay for our cruises.

We always have the card for Pinnacle dinner the first night but never use it as we like to be in the dining room the first night.

Hope this information is helpful to you.

Shipboard credit is not available for all category cabins and never has been on HAL. There is a two level upgrade OR shipboard credit. We get the $150 pp (maximum $300) for every cruise and it is confirmed for all of our upcoming cruises.

In order to get the shipboard credit, your TA (not you), must contact AmEx and get a tracking number. That number must be transmitted to HAL in order for you to get the credit. If you have booked with an agency other than AmEx, most agencies now must pay a yearly fee (that covers all clients---not for each cliet) that is about $1,000. It is possible your disappointment should be directed at your TA and not HAL. They may not have contacted AmEx and/or they may not have paid the required fee and may not be informing you of all this pertinent information.

We receive the complimentary bottle of champagne for using our AmEx Platinum card to pay for our cruises.

We always have the card for Pinnacle dinner the first night but never use it as we like to be in the dining room the first night.

Hope this information is helpful to you.

I am unclear. Did you book through a travel Ageny associated with Amex (or does Amex have a cruise division), or just use your Amex card to pay for the cruise?

What is the friends and family rate? Does someone in your family work for Carnival Cruise Line so you are getting a heavily discounted rate already? I guess the bottom line is what you paid for the cruise vs what it is showing by Hal (on-line)? Even during the winter Hal advertises Verandah and view specials for Europe ("Pay for an inside and get an Outside"), but also note it's for specific dates (maybe May vs. July, etc). I wouldn't be upset about not getting a $60 dinner for two, if I already had $1,000.00 off Hal's rate etc. So, you need to clarify your issue and what you have in writing about benefits using your Amex Card?

Btw, I always pay with a Via or Mastercard associated with a specific Airline so I get points (I find it more valuable than some of the other "use on any Airline" such as Cap One where spending $15,000 only gets you $150.00 towards your flights). I use one where 50,000 pionts gets you a flight to Europe valued at $1,600.00 plus.

I am unclear. Did you book through a travel Ageny associated with Amex (or does Amex have a cruise division), or just use your Amex card to pay for the cruise?

What is the friends and family rate? Does someone in your family work for Carnival Cruise Line so you are getting a heavily discounted rate already? I guess the bottom line is what you paid for the cruise vs what it is showing by Hal (on-line)? Even during the winter Hal advertises Verandah and view specials for Europe ("Pay for an inside and get an Outside"), but also note it's for specific dates (maybe May vs. July, etc). I wouldn't be upset about not getting a $60 dinner for two, if I already had $1,000.00 off Hal's rate etc. So, you need to clarify your issue and what you have in writing about benefits using your Amex Card?

The only card that qualifies for the AmEx Platinum benefits is the one that carries an annual membership of about $400. This category of AmEx Membership has its own travel division called American Express Platinum Travel. A member does not have to book through them to take advantage of all benefits of them having the Platinum card but if they do not, they have to go through the steps I described above.

Friends and Family was a booking promotion HAL offered. Presumably low rates?? I am note versed in the exact terms.

A very few times in the past, if we booked at a very excellent rate, HAL unilaterally refused to allow us the Platinum shipboard credit. The small print somewhere permits that. In all of our many HAL cruises, that only happened maybe twice. Our fares really were very, very good on those cruises.

Here's what I know!

We did receive the $300 shipboard credit last summer and we were not in an "S" category cabin! In fact, we've never been at the suite level and we've received the credit whenever we have paid with the card. This isn't a matter of cabin level.

The "Friends and Family" fares were sent in a brochure to Mariner Club members and were also posted on HAL's website - available to everyone. There were no $1000 dollar savings of which I am aware! I would happily pay less and give up the credit! However, I have been on another line where there was a $1000 discount if you provided your own air - and we had miles to do this - and we still got the credit.

I just think HAL is picking and choosing! Why did we get benefits last summer, but not for this coming summer when we are in a higher cabin category? HAL should give the benefits across the board!

In the future, I will choose a cruise line which includes the benefits! My TA does belong to the group which pays into the AMEX "club." We have worked with her for 20 years and have never had a probelm. This is not an AMEX issue - this is HAL limiting the perks. This is not a way to keep good customers interested. I just don't understand this!

Wording directly from the Cruise Privileges Booklet:

"As a Platinum Card member, enjoy complimentary Cruise Privileges amenities, including a $300 shipboard credit or two-category upgrade."

For HAL, you get "a Two-category upgrade on outside staterooms or $300 per suite shipboard credit. Complimentary dinner for two at the Pinnacle Grill (available first night only). Welcome bottle of champagne".....

That is the exact wording from the AmEx Platinum privileges booklet.

The shipboard credit absolutely is dependent upon cabin category. No Suite; no shipboard credit.

IF your TA has gotten you shipboard credit, it has not been in accordance with these terms. Its source may be other than AmEx??

HAL does reserve the option of denying the shipboard credit at their choice. In all of our cruises, they have only denied it twice that I recall and that was when we had a very low fare.

I remember the days when we used to book a Category B cabin and get the two category upgrade to an "S". THAT was a benefit!

As a Platinum Member, I am sure you received the mailing which detailed the cruise priviliges. If you don't have it, call the number on the back of your card and I'm sure they will fax, e-mail and/or snail mail it to you. You know the wonderful service you get when you call AmEx Platinum for information regarding member benefits.

I still don't unerstand why this is a Hal issue? Shipboard credit can be used to pay the tips at the end of the cruise and I thought came from the TA or whoever was offering the creidt or upgrade or free dinner.

It sounds to me like this is an Amex issue since a $300 credit would be paid by Amex. If your card has a $400 annual fee for the year it sounds like you would get $300 back if you book a Hal Suite.

No..... It is an HAL/Am Ex issue.

They have a contract agreeing to terms and conditions. AmEx must provide the tracking number to a TA in order for a guest to get the AmEx Platinum Shipboard Credit. HAL must approve it. In certain situations, they do not approve it.

There are MANY sources of shipboard credits and complimentary dinners in Pinnacle.

This is only one of them.

TA's give shipboard credits all the time; HAL gives them for various reasons.

This is one that is provided for by contract between HAL/AmEx and ultimately the Platinum/HAL customer.

Here's what I know!

We did receive the $300 shipboard credit last summer and we were not in an "S" category cabin! In fact, we've never been at the suite level and we've received the credit whenever we have paid with the card. This isn't a matter of cabin level.

I'm sorry, but I must agree with S7S that the Amex Platinum benefit of $300/cabin OBC is (and has always been as long as I can remember) for booking PS or S category suites. There's an upgrade benefit for booking VA or lower. Recheck your docs for that cruise, the credit may have come from another source.

My 2 cents worth - we were on Princess last December and we booked through AMEX Platinum Travel Service and we did not get any Platinum benefits. Why? Because the special rate we got was almost $400 per person less than the AMEX rate. No brainer- we took the cheaper rate. We still got the 25,000 membership reward points and the annual $100 credit off our bill. I think it is tied to the fare you pay. I don't think there is a problem at all. Some fares don't get the perks. We are booked on Noordham next year in a SA and we get everthing and the rate is better than any other right now.

Friends of ours always take a Cat. A or B (I used to call them mini-suites) & they have been getting the same Plat. benefits as the "S" cat. that we take. A few years ago they just received it sporadically but it seems pretty regular in the last 3 or 4 years. Their agency (not ours) is a big HAL producer here in FL.

The couple of times that we took Crystal the entire ship -- no special type of cabin -- who paid with Plat. cards was given the $300 credit plus other amenities (we had a very cheap cabin) & we were told this was strictly an agreement between Crystal and AmEx. They also had an Am Ex cocktail party.

Yes....Category A and B should get the shipboard credit on "S" and "R" class ships. I'm not sure about Vista. On the "S" and "R", you cannot get the two category upgrade to a cabin with verandah so they are entitled to the $300 shipboard credit.

Anything below a verandah category cabin (on "S" and "R" class ships) gets the upgrade.

Yes....Category A and B should get the shipboard credit on "S" and "R" class ships. I'm not sure about Vista. On the "S" and "R", you cannot get the two category upgrade to a cabin with verandah so they are entitled to the $300 shipboard credit.

Anything below a verandah category cabin (on "S" and "R" class ships) gets the upgrade.

Does that mean if I book the highest grade regular cabin on my Platinum card and ask for the two category upgrade that I am eligible for a Verandah cabin on an R ship?

Poor little me! I don't get anything "free" for using my free Visa or Mastercard! Maybe I should get an AMEX and pay the annual fee so I can spend the rest of the fighting to get "free perks". Would you like some cheese with that whine?

Last August we went on the Rydam to Alaska and used our platinum American Express card which cost us $300. We received a free dinner on the first night at the Pinacle, $150 shipboard credit for each of us and a free bottle of chamagne.

My travel agent told me that this would be the last time for the shipboard credit unless you booked a suite. We had booked a balcony. You would only get a bottle of champagne.

We did get a free dinner at Pinancle the first time thanks to the travel agent and a bottle of champagne from American Express.

Price of the card imay not be worth it if you just looking for shipboard credit.

Eileen

Like sail we always book suites and have never been denied getting the shipboard credit. Our TA takes care of everything for us -- tracking number, etc.

We have been fortunate on our last several cruises that the ships have allowed us to go to the innacle for our free dinner any night we wish to go -- hasn't been restricted to the first night.

I used the AMEX platinum and went thru AMEX platinum travel to book an SC guarantee on the Oosterdam for the cruise this Saturday, April 7th.

When I received my cabin assignment, it is for an SA which is (I think) a 2 category upgrade. So....do you think I will still get my $300 shipboard credit?

In any event, I paid $2,000 pp for the SC guarantee and I think the SA was going for something like $3,700 pp.....so it is still a huge savings. I'm just not sure if I was upgraded due to the guarantee or because of the platinum benefit. I have big plans in the spa for the $300 credit : )

Thanks!

"Cruise To Relax user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_9666618", true);

Cool Cruiser

icon6.gifAMEX Benefits

My 2 cents worth - we were on Princess last December and we booked through AMEX Platinum Travel Service and we did not get any Platinum benefits. Why? Because the special rate we got was almost $400 per person less than the AMEX rate. No brainer- we took the cheaper rate. We still got the 25,000 membership reward points and the annual $100 credit off our bill. I think it is tied to the fare you pay. I don't think there is a problem at all. Some fares don't get the perks. We are booked on Noordham next year in a SA and we get everthing and the rate is better than any other right now."

Cruise to Relax - Is a $400 per year Platinum card one for business use? I get offers on a biweekly basis for Amex Cards but throw them out. One is with I think Delta Airlines.

I would think that special rates would not qualify and it seems that many pax are using consolidators to save hundreds or over a thousand to save on their cruise. It's still nice to get a "free dinner". I won't get anything extra this year as the TA is offering a free excursion and we already have something booked.

Was the 25,000 points on Amex just for the first use? I got that on a US Airways Mastercard through Barclays bank, plus no annual fee for the first two yeas after which the yearly fee goes up to $79 per year.

Booking through US Airways vacations to get 3,000 points was not worth the cost. I could have saved on the VIP tickets to the King Tut Exhibit in Philly if I had an Am Ex ($119 for two), but settled on the $40 museum membership and $99.00 membership VIP tickets ($21 more, but we got some other discount at the museum).

So far I have found that the airline Miles cards (Visa or Mastercard) are the best value as you can get a $1,600 (High Season) ticket to Europe such as Rome (that was the cost through HAL) for 50,000 points if you book early. 45,000 points on the no fee Cap One or whatever lots of folks use is only worth $450.00.

What are the costs/benefits of using AmEx?

One of the other perks is for hotels. We stayed at the Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal in Orlando and were given vouchers for $45 for lunch and 2 free breakfast buffets worth about $50 for the two of us. I've also stayed at a few Ritz Carltons and have received vouchers for lunch and automotic late check-out.

CarlandAndrea....... Congratulations on that wonderful upgrade. The chances are your upgrade to "SA" from "SC" is from your guarantee assignment. Enjoy!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sail7seas viewpost.gif

Does that mean if I book the highest grade regular cabin on my Platinum card and ask for the two category upgrade that I am eligible for a Verandah cabin on an R ship?

No, I don't think you can get the two category upgrade into a verandah cabin on the "S" and "R" Class ships as Platinum cruise benefit. You can only be upgraded into the highest level of non-verandah category cabin.

Sail7seas ---

Thanks for the info. We are very excited about our cabin. So far, every time we have done a guarantee, it has worked out very well.

The cabin is just a few doors down from the Neptune Lounge which, based on all the comments on this board, sounds terrific.

Cruise to Relax - Is a $400 per year Platinum card one for business use? I get offers on a biweekly basis for Amex Cards but throw them out. One is with I think Delta Airlines.

I would think that special rates would not qualify and it seems that many pax are using consolidators to save hundreds or over a thousand to save on their cruise. It's still nice to get a "free dinner". I won't get anything extra this year as the TA is offering a free excursion and we already have something booked.

Was the 25,000 points on Amex just for the first use? I got that on a US Airways Mastercard through Barclays bank, plus no annual fee for the first two yeas after which the yearly fee goes up to $79 per year.

Booking through US Airways vacations to get 3,000 points was not worth the cost. I could have saved on the VIP tickets to the King Tut Exhibit in Philly if I had an Am Ex ($119 for two), but settled on the $40 museum membership and $99.00 membership VIP tickets ($21 more, but we got some other discount at the museum).

So far I have found that the airline Miles cards (Visa or Mastercard) are the best value as you can get a $1,600 (High Season) ticket to Europe such as Rome (that was the cost through HAL) for 50,000 points if you book early. 45,000 points on the no fee Cap One or whatever lots of folks use is only worth $450.00.

What are the costs/benefits of using AmEx?

First, let me clarify the $400. What I quoted was the far was $400 per person through a special Princess had for past passengers and therefore was much better than the AMEX rate. Yes, I think the card is going up to $400 per year. Second, this card is not a business card but a personal card. Third, the 25K points for the cruise is awarded when you book a cruise through the Platinum Travel Service (PTS) and it meets certain criteria. I have booked 3 cruise through PTS and have or will receive 25K points for each one.

Now the cost/benefits:

First, individual preference and cost is going up to $450 per year after May 1, 2007

Second, added a new benefit for the extra money. They now offer a domestic companion airfare program that mirros the International Airline program. The domestic is for coach class and can be used a maximum of 4 times each year. Still may not be the best value because of the fare they have to book you but who knows. Last year I used the International airline program and saved about $1000 on 2 business class one way tickets to Rome for our cruise back to New Orleans.

Third, if you fly Delta, Northwest, or Continental,you get access to their airline clubs for free.

Fourth, bunch more stuff that you can find out on their website

Finally, whether this card is for you is a very very personal preference. It sounds like you know a lot about several cards and know how to get the best deal. My wife "disagreed" with me for several years about having the Platinum card and paying the extra bucks. Her disagreement stopped several years ago when we flew back on Delta from Ft. Lauderdale (what a mess with all the ships docking the same day) that was totally crowded. The lines to check in were out the doors and it took us almost 2 hours to get to the Kiosk check in (faster line believe it or not). After that, we were supposed to stand outside security for almost 2 hours before they would let us go through security (when our departure was less than 2 hours away). Because we could use the Crown Club, we were able to process through immediately and spend over 3 hours in the club. On that day, every penny we paid for the Platinum card was worth it.

So, I am not an advocate one way or another. I will say that for us we have enjoyed it and believe the money we have spent was either returned to us directly in some way (on board credit, points, etc.) or through use of their benefits (airline club, free companion ticket, etc.). So really up to you.

Sorry for the long post.

Archived