How do I skip the long lines at embarkation?

thymcruisers

We cruised Carnival Victory last March and waited in line for embarkation for nearly 2 hours. Traveling companions that had flown in the night before were

able to do some type of registration at the motel and were able to walk past all the people in line. My question - we are driving to Galveston and will be in Galveston the night before our cruise in March, 2005- is there a certain hotel we could stay at that would allow us to register and have luggage taken directly to ship and we could skip the long line? I asked our Carnival PVP and he said to fill out the fun pass online - we had done that with our cruise in March but still waited in long lines! Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Sensation 1997

Victory 2004

Ecstasy 2005

To my knowledge, the Queen Mary is the only place in CA (Long Beach) that does the early check-in. My daughter did it that way, and breezed right on. I haven't heard of any hotels doing early check-in for the ships.

To the OP - my advice is to get to the pier as EARLY as possible. I've always boarded the ship within an hour after parking my car!

What always works for us is......

Get there very very early to be the first ones on the ship (We were on the Legend)

Or get there late late.. around 2 - 2:30PM if your ship leaves at 4.

We usually are the early bird and it works all the time. Beware if you don't like people who crowd you.. they will push and shove to the front of the line.

Kodiac :)

I always get to the port no later than 11:00 a.m. I've never had to wait more than 45 minutes to check in. :) On the Sensation, there were NO line at all! I walked right up!

We have stayed in a pre cruise hotel booked through the cruise line in the past(not Carnival) and were able to preregister at the hotel. They had tables set up in the lobby and then we boarded a bus which took us to the ship. We even had our own separate entrance so we avoided all the typical mess of getting on the ship. It was great!

I understand that in New York, it is not the check-in that takes so long, its the security lines. They only have two lines to go thru security check. Once you get thru, if you filled out the fun pass already, it takes no time at all to check in.

As noted above, no matter where the port is, we go early, expecting to wait a couple hours before the ship has been cleared and the new passengers are allowed to begin boarding. I've been a member of the Skippers Club, had special clearance from a friend at Carnival and just taken my chances and for me there's been nothing to beat going early.

DW takes a book, the kids bring their mp3 players and I people watch....constantly on alert for any movement in the line or indication that there is a better place for me to position my troops. No pushing or shoving is necessary, that is for amateurs just as waiting in line for hours tapping your toe and getting aggravated is.

I realized after doing that ONE TIME on our first cruise that I needed a game plan and a bunch of cruises later have resigned myself to going early and making the most of it.

The cool part is that we're not alone.

We find other wide-eyed and excited passengers who just can't wait to get on board and are willing to sacrifice a few hours early in the morining to be one of the first onboard.

My goal is to get every single minute of enjoyment out of every cruise and going to the port early is part of my plan.

On our cruise last month we met two of the nicest families and a young couple celebrating their first anniversary while in line. We saw them from time to time throughout the voyage as we did others in line that we knew by sight. We went ashore with them in St Maarten and went to shows too. I think it's "just more fun" when you do it with people you "know" and have shared standing in line with. Combine that with meeting up with the Cruise Critic bunch thats surely on your sailing and you'll be waving hi to new friends all week

When we sailed on the Celebration out of Galveston in January, we were on the ship in less than 30 minutes after arriving at the docks. We arrived around 11:45 am if I remember correctly and sailed right through the fun pass line. They were extremely organized at this port!

What is the Skipper's Club?:confused:

Passengers booking Categoy 11 or 12 cabins as well as VIP's are allowed to board first without waiting. It's not like the Admirals Club at airports for American Airlines megaflyers but its a nice gesture

What is the Skipper's Club?:confused:
The Skippers Club is for the ones that book the category eleven and twelve cabins. It usually means that you will have a different area to check in and it should mean that you board early but this does not always happen. It can be hit and miss depending on port of embarkation. This is not one of Carnival's strong points.

I like to arrive at the pier as early as possible, and usually make a "bee line" to the pier just as soon as I claim my luggage at the airport. I even hail a taxi, rather than waiting for the bus to load just to beat the crowds.

I've also found that arriving early, allows me time to meet some of my fellow passengers while waiting in line.(always fun)

I've got to say though . . . I cruised on RCCI last year for the first time, (just had to see how CCL & RCCI compared), and they served small glasses of rum punch (with, or with out rum)to passengers while they waited in line to board. I thought that was a nice touch, and made the wait MUCH easier. Don't get me wrong . . . .I'm not a BIG drinker, by any means, but I just thought having a nice cold refreshment being offered to take a little of the edge off the waiting proccess.

I am not very good with the search feature, plus I dont know exactly which thread I saw it on.....

A couple of weeks ago, I read a thread on here where someone said there was a Hotel check-in for the Port of Miami for Carnival at the Sheraton Hotel on biscayne bay....

anybody verify this info ?????

My last cruise out of new Orleans I got to the Line for check in and had at least 800 people infront of me in line, I grabed the first person that looked like he could help me, Tiped him 20.00 and the next thing I know he walked me to the front of the line, took me to the next windo that was open and told me to have a great cruise ( cash talks ) I was on the ship in about 20 min :)

Try staying at the Tremont Hotel. They are just 2 blocks over from carnival's pier and it will make it easy to get their early. We are sailing the ecstasy march 7, 2005 from Galveston but we booked a category 12 suite mainly because I wanted to avoid hassel of embarkation and I was told that it would be easier with this category. What day in March are yall going? Karenh1127@houston.rr.com

Archived