Bummer - Didn't Buy the Insurance...

CoupleOnTheGo

Many of you questioned the cost of the travel insurance. Our cruise fare was $200 per person and the HAL insurance offered was $99 per person, so in effect, it was 50% of the total fare.

When I mentioned this thread to John & told him about the actual prices, he agreed with me - if the cruise cost was $200/pp & insurance was $99/pp, we too would not have purchased it. That would just have been the $400 risk we would have been willing to take.

I realize that the insurance covers more than just cancellation, but in this case it's just a 3-day repo cruise, so medical evac, one of the main reasons we buy insurance, is highly unlikely. Especially since I think the OP said it was a Pacific coastal. The ship will always be near enough to pull in to the US in a true, life-threatening medical emergency.

.............. if the cruise cost was $200/pp & insurance was $99/pp, we too would not have purchased it. That would just have been the $400 risk we would have been willing to take.

Me, too. I tried to say something like that in an earlier post, but I didn't say it as well.

If you paid $200 to cover $400 it would just make no sense because you'd definitely lose at least the $200. I'd be willing to gamble $200.

But I'm just wondering if another insurance company would have charged a lot less than that. Still, for $400 I doubt I'd bother to insure at all.

We had a cruise booked on Windstar in 2001 which we cancelled. All we lost was the deposit (we cancelled because of 9/11) which was $1000 ... more than the OP's whole cruise.

So sometimes we gamble and sometimes we lose. Name of the game.

Archived